50 years ago today (part 5)

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

50 years ago today (part 5)

Postby oldvaulter » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Both Fosdick and I missed our first two tries, though all four vaults were very close. I was up first and on my third try I barely slid over the bar (wouldn’t have made 15’ 1”). On my last try of my last meet of my high school career I finally achieved the goal I had set for myself when I first began vaulting. It was one of the most exciting moments of my life. After a long delay for measuring and re-measuring, Fosdick missed his third try and I had the record and the win. This record stood only until the next season when it was broken by Paul Wilson, but it was still the record at the end of the 1963 season and was listed as the national high school record in the Track & Field News high school annual.

Postscript:

I was very aware of the August 31 deadline for setting a high school record as recognized by Track & Field News. It was my intention to keep vaulting all summer and push the record up as high as I could. But a few days after the Golden West meet, during a practice session at Mt. Sac, I had a bad vault and crashed onto the runway on my side. I sustained several injuries which prevented me from vaulting for the rest of the summer.
oldvaulter

Re: 50 years ago today (part 5)

Postby kuha » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Great stuff! Thanks!!
kuha

Postby lovetorun » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Yes, indeed, great stuff. Loved reading your story...don't stop now. :)
lovetorun

Postby marknhj » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Ditto. Thanks oldvaulter!
marknhj