May 6, 1954


Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Re: May 6, 1954

Postby BBTM media » Thu May 30, 2013 10:12 am

portsea57 wrote:Well, Bannister's achievement will be remembered for a long, long, time.
Probably longer than any other 20th century sporting achievement
Why? Because it's come to symbolise how the mind, and body, can stretch themselves to achieve the seemingly impossible.
Maybe it is just a English speaking phenomenon, but so many inspirational speakers quote Bannister's achievement, and I bet five hundred years from now they will be saying, "Back in the 20th century, it was deemed impossible for a human to run a mile in less than four minutes until..."


Exactly! And one of the reasons why we are working to bring back the Mile is because of that Bannister moment - the first sub-4 minute Mile - etched in our culture, minds and history. Go Mile!

All are welcome, join us: http://bringbackthemile.com/home
BBTM media
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:23 am

Re: May 6, 1954

Postby tandfman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Here's one way to keep the mile alive. Run a 1600 and call it a mile!

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/200133 ... e-victory/

What an abomination!

:evil:
tandfman
 
Posts: 15042
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: May 6, 1954

Postby Marlow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:37 pm

tandfman wrote:Here's one way to keep the mile alive. Run a 1600 and call it a mile!
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/200133 ... e-victory/
What an abomination!
:evil:

Nothing to see here - it was a handicap race, so they all race different distances anyway!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: May 6, 1954

Postby BBTM media » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:Here's one way to keep the mile alive. Run a 1600 and call it a mile!
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/200133 ... e-victory/
What an abomination!
:evil:

Nothing to see here - it was a handicap race, so they all race different distances anyway!


This made BBTM's day: 1600-metre Tasmanian Mile. Go Tasmanian Mile!

Get ready, 2014 will be an historic marker year: 60th anniversaries of the first sub-4 minute Mile by Roger Bannister and The Mile of Century (Bannister & John Landy) and 50th anniversary of the first sub-4 minute Mile by a high school boy (Jim Ryun). Go Mile!

http://bringbackthemile.com/news/detail ... nd_in_2013
BBTM media
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:23 am

Re: May 6, 1954

Postby Marlow » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:29 pm

A synonym for BBTM is "quixotical". :wink:
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: May 6, 1954

Postby aaronk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:20 pm

BBTM media wrote:
Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:Here's one way to keep the mile alive. Run a 1600 and call it a mile!
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/200133 ... e-victory/
What an abomination!
:evil:

Nothing to see here - it was a handicap race, so they all race different distances anyway!


This made BBTM's day: 1600-metre Tasmanian Mile. Go Tasmanian Mile!

Get ready, 2014 will be an historic marker year: 60th anniversaries of the first sub-4 minute Mile by Roger Bannister and The Mile of Century (Bannister & John Landy) and 50th anniversary of the first sub-4 minute Mile by a high school boy (Jim Ryun). Go Mile!

http://bringbackthemile.com/news/detail ... nd_in_2013


I saw Ryun's first!!
It was the Compton Invitational in '64.
He ran 3:59.0, and finished 8th!!
First time 8 runners ran sub-4 in the same race!
I believe Dyrol Burleson won it in 3:57.4, so the field was pretty bunched at the end, just 1.6 seconds separating the first 8!

That meet was famous for ANOTHER high school milestone.
Gerry Lindgren ran 13:44.0 in the 5000, with Bob Schul, I believe, winning in 13:38.
Bruce Kidd was in that race too, I think!
He was 20 or 21 at the time.
Lindgren's mark lasted 40 years.....longer than Ryun's 3:55.3 from 1965!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: May 6, 1954

Postby runforlife » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:30 am

Get ready, 2014 will be an historic marker year: 60th anniversaries of the first sub-4 minute Mile by Roger Bannister and The Mile of Century (Bannister & John Landy) and 50th anniversary of the first sub-4 minute Mile by a high school boy (Jim Ryun).

Also first sub-4 by a teenager. A year of track celebrations and anniversaries.
runforlife
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Drake Relays: finish line - row 1

Re: May 6, 1954

Postby BBTM media » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Marlow wrote:A synonym for BBTM is "quixotical". :wink:


This one's for you!

4 Wishes for the Mile in 2014
http://bringbackthemile.com/news/detail ... le_in_2014
BBTM media
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:23 am

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mump boy and 6 guests