Mamer

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Mamer

Postby DoubleRBar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:50 am

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who was born 86 years ago this day.

Our birthday athlete was not the favorite going into the Olympic final.

This person shares the same initials as another Olympic track and field champion from the same Olympic Games.

Born the same year the Ahwahnee Hotel opened in Yosemite National Park, our birthday athlete died at the age of 65.

The winner of the Tour de France (the year our birthday athlete was born) was born in the same town as our birthday champion.

Only 4.5 miles separate the two places where our birthday athlete was born and died.

Don't think about the hurdles when figuring the event in which our birthday athlete won Olympic gold.

I'm sure you know this Olympic gold medalist. Who is this person?
DoubleRBar

Re: Mamer

Postby dukehjsteve » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:47 am

I spent about 30 seconds matching up initials, and came up with jb for Jerome Biffle and Josy Barthel. Since Barthel was not a favorite to win the 1500 in 1952, and he's from next door to France, I'll take a shot that Barthel is the man.
dukehjsteve

Re: Mamer

Postby DoubleRBar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:45 pm

You got it, dukehjsteve. Happy birthday today to Josy Barthel, winner of the Helsinki 1,500 meters. Josy won in 1952 and died in 1992. Good work, dukehjsteve.
DoubleRBar