RIP Hal Bateman

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

RIP Hal Bateman

Postby gm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:18 pm

Hopefully Pete Cava (the author of this obit) will not mind me posting this abbreviated version here. Hal was the smartest track and field person I ever met.
***********************************************************************************************************
Hal Bateman, an authority on world track and field for more than fifty years, died April 10 in Corpus Christi, Texas, following a brief illness. He was 81.
Born Nov. 28, 1931, on Staten Island, N.Y., Harold Bateman was a 1949 graduate of Middle Township High School in Cape May Court House, N.J. He attended Rutgers University and, following two years in the U.S. Army, earned a degree in journalism from Michigan State University. He competed in track and cross country during his high school and college years.
Bateman was a sportswriter for the Chicago Tribune and United Press International’s Chicago Bureau before becoming the managing editor of Track & Field News in 1960.
From 1963 to 1969 Bateman was the sports information director at Western Michigan University. He was the SID at the U.S. Air Force Academy from 1969 to 1984 and in 1974-1975 he served as president of the College Sports Information Directors Association (CoSIDA).
While in Colorado Springs, Bateman did volunteer work for the U.S. Olympic Committee. He served as a USOC press officer at eight National Sports Festivals and at the Olympic Games in 1984 in Los Angeles and in 1988 in Seoul.
In 1982 Bateman began a two-decade relationship with Indianapolis-based USA Track & Field (then known as The Athletics Congress/USA), the sport’s American governing body. He was a general partner with End of the Line Race Consulting in Coronado, Calif., when Ollan Cassell hired him in 1986.
Bateman served as USATF’s director of promotions for the inaugural World Indoor Athletics Championships, held in Indianapolis in 1987. Remaining with USATF as an associate director of media information, he served as the organization’s historian, edited media guides, and headed special statistical projects. He was in charge of field operations at numerous U.S. indoor, outdoor and collegiate championships from 1983 through 1995.
Bateman served as U.S. team press officer at track events around the globe, including the 1985 USA-USSR-Japan meet in Tokyo; the 1985 World Cup in Canberra; the 1987 World Championships in Rome; the 1989 World Cup in Barcelona; and the 1994 World Cup in London.
gm

Re: RIP Hal Bateman

Postby bambam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:57 am

Hal was a good, good man. Haven't seen him in years but we stayed in touch via e-mail. He was always very helpful.
bambam

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:44 am

There's a picture of him in a 1960 T&FN issue, when he was hired.
dukehjsteve

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 am

I got to meet him during his USATF days. He was a gentleman and extremely knowledgeable. He will be missed. RIP
Halfmiler2

Postby rhymans » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm

I will miss Hal. I met him in the mid-80's, and shared a hotel room with him at the '96 Trials. At that time he was recovering from a stroke, and the T&F worked well as therapy. We kept in touch and exchanged a lot of track information over the next 15 years, and I use (and will continue to use) some of Hal's compilations on a daily basis. He was good with Track and Field stats, and was a gentleman. As I say, I'll miss him.
rhymans