Nikolayevich

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Nikolayevich

Postby DoubleRBar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:08 am

Happy birthday today (Sunday) to an Olympic champion who also took the Olympic silver medal.

Our birthday athlete was born 71 years ago this day, however this person died at the age of 60.

Born not too far from the Amur River, our birthday champion set several world records.

Don't concern yourself with the hurdles when trying to figure this athlete.

The son of a miner, our birthday gold medalist was married three times.

One of our birthday champion's spouses was also an Olympic champion.

Only 18 years old when taking the Olympic silver medal, this athlete is considered one of the all-time best by many track and field nuts.

The bronze medalist from our birthday athlete's first Olympics also took the silver medal at the next Olympic Games. Our birthday person and this other athlete were very good friends.

You know this person born in April during World War II. Go ahead and name our Olympic gold medalist.
DoubleRBar

Re: Nikolayevich

Postby Olli » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:17 am

Brumel perhaps? But I do not know anything about his wives...
Olli

Postby DoubleRBar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:04 pm

Good job, Olli. It is Valeriy Brumel's birthday today. Brumel is considered one of the best high jumpers in track and field history. I always thought of him as the "James Bond" of track and field. He was smooth, he was strong, he was self-possessed, and he was superb.

I have read, in several places, that his second wife was Lyudmila Turisheva (great Soviet gymnast with several gold medals), however I thought she was married to Valeriy Borzov. So, I am not positive about that fact.

I was very lucky to have seen Brumel jump a few times in the U.S. He has always been one of my favorite track and field athletes.
DoubleRBar

Postby bambam » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:51 am

Olli wrote:Brumel perhaps? But I do not know anything about his wives...

Brumel was married to Yelena Petushkova, an equestrian rider at the Olympics. When he was on te motorcycle and had the serious accident, he was riding with another woman, who was a competitive motorcyclist, not an Olympian. Brumel and Petushkova later divorced - possibly from his involvement with the other woman.

Lyudmile Turishcheva (Olympic gymnastic champion) married Sergey Bubka
bambam

Postby Powell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 am

bambam wrote:Lyudmile Turishcheva (Olympic gymnastic champion) married Sergey Bubka

Borzov, not Bubka.
Powell

Postby bambam » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Powell wrote:
bambam wrote:Lyudmile Turishcheva (Olympic gymnastic champion) married Sergey Bubka

Borzov, not Bubka.

You're right - got my Ukrainians mixed up
bambam