Morceli

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Morceli

Postby Deerfoot » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:16 am

I recently watched Morceli's 1995 1500m world champs win on youtube. I was blown away. The way Morceli just pulled away from the field over the last 450m was amazing. El G edged into second but was far behind Noureddine. I hadn't realised quite how good he was at his peak. I'm left wondering why he seems to be so little remembered now. For example, there are far fewer of his victories available to watch than there are for Coe, Cram, Ovett and El G.
Deerfoot

Re: Morceli

Postby kuha » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:34 am

Of course, he was fantastic in his prime. It's "funny," for lack of a better word, what short memories most fans have. Wilson Kipketer? Who's that?

With slightly more luck, Morceli might well have held the WRs from 1500 to 5000. The Zurich 5000 in 1994 was his big effort at the distance, but it was raining steadily during most of the race and the pace ended up lagging. He blasted a gigantic last 400 to make the rest of the field look like marathoners. I really had no doubt that night that he could easily have beaten the existing mark of 12:56 given anything approaching "perfect" conditions.
kuha

Re: Morceli

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:37 am

I presume you brought your umbrella? :lol:
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.