Church Avenue

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Church Avenue

Postby DoubleRBar » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 am

Happy birthday today (Saturday) to an Olympic champion who was born 103 years ago today. Our birthday athlete competed in two Olympic Games and won the gold medal in the second of those two Games.

This person won the first Olympic gold medal in track and field for the nation this athlete represented. Our birthday Olympian won the gold medal on Cordner Nelson's 18th birthday.

At Fairlie School, our birthday individual played rugby and was a swimmer. At Timaru Boys' High School, this athlete was a boxer.

The father of our birthday star died when this athlete was only 13 years old. At the University of Otago, this athlete became a very good track and field star.

As a Rhodes Scholar, our birthday person studied medicine. This athlete had knee problems and was later thrown from a horse and remained unconscious for about two days.

Finishing in seventh place at this athlete's first Olympic Games, our birthday person broke the world record in the next Olympic Games and won the Olympic gold medal.

Death came to this champion on the 93rd anniversary of President Woodrow Wilson's birth. Our Olympian had two daughters, one of which is still alive today and lives in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Born in Crushington, this champion was a Major during World War II. Our birthday person married in the same year that World War II ended.

Eight days before our person's 40th birthday, an accident ended the life of this Olympic champion. There is still some questions about this accident.

Hurdles have nothing to do with this gold medalist and you can forget the field events for today's athlete. It's not a difficult one to figure, so go ahead, don't waste time, and give the correct answer.
DoubleRBar

Re: Church Avenue

Postby LopenUupunut » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:43 am

Jack Lovelock.
LopenUupunut

Postby DoubleRBar » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:05 pm

LopenUupunut, you are good. Congratulations, it is Jack Lovelock who was born 103 years ago today (Saturday). Unfortunately, Jack died just days before his 40th birthday. He was 25 when he set the world 1,500 meter record and won the Olympic gold medal.
DoubleRBar

Postby tandfman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:08 pm

Pardon my ignorance--perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

What does Church Avenue have to do with Jack Lovelock?
tandfman

Postby DoubleRBar » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Sorry tandfman, I should have mentioned that Lovelock was killed in New York at the train stop for "Church Avenue" in December of 1949. There are some that say he jumped in front of the train, but most conclude he fell into the train after one of his dizzy spells. He had had these dizzy spells after falling from a horse in 1940.
DoubleRBar

Postby tandfman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:39 am

Well, you learn something every day. (At least, I try to.) I knew that Jack Lovelock fell off a New York City subway platform and was killed by a train. But for some reason, I thought that happened in Manhattan. I don't think I ever knew it was in Brooklyn.
tandfman

Postby DoubleRBar » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Yes, he and his family lived in Brooklyn (his wife was an American).
DoubleRBar

Postby jasmeenkhan988 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 pm

The father of our birthday star died when this athlete was only 13 years old. At the University of Otago, this athlete became a very good track and field star.
its very much sad news dude... 8-)
jasmeenkhan988