Bob McMillen

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Bob McMillen

Postby DoubleRBar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:02 pm

After watching Leo Manzano take the Olympic silver medal in London and become the seventh American to win the Olympic silver medal at 1,500 meters, I got to wondering about the oldest living American with an Olympic silver medal at 1,500 meters.

I believe that would be Bob McMillen (Oxy) from Helsinki in 1952. As far as I know, Bob is still alive today. I guess he would be about 84 years old. Jim Ryun is 65 years old.

Does anyone out there know where Bob McMillen lives today or how to contact him? If I find anything about him, I will let you know. There might be some people that don't know that Bob made the 1948 Olympic team to London in the steeplechase. He didn't make the final in that Olympics, but he did come back in four years to almost win the gold medal at 1,500 meters. Thanks very much.
DoubleRBar

Re: Bob McMillen

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:56 pm

If he has died, nobody has told Wikipedia about it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_McMillen_(athlete)
tandfman

Postby DoubleRBar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:47 pm

I did some research and found out that Bob McMillen died on March 9, 2001. I got this information from Occidental College in Los Angeles. That makes Jim Ryun as the oldest American with an Olympic silver medal in the 1,500 meters.
DoubleRBar

Postby bambam » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:29 pm

DoubleRBar wrote:I did some research and found out that Bob McMillen died on March 9, 2001. I got this information from Occidental College in Los Angeles. That makes Jim Ryun as the oldest American with an Olympic silver medal in the 1,500 meters.

DoubleRBar - can you send me (bill1729@gmail.com) a source at Occidental to get an obit for him? My OlyMADMen guys who are expert genealogists have struck out on this one.
bambam