Ben Johnson and Co : The race that shocked the world

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Re: Ben Johnson and Co : The race that shocked the world

Postby steve » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:39 am

mump boy wrote:
marknhj wrote:
knockout wrote:Also interesting that that HGH was being used by athletes as early as the 1984 olympics, extracted from dead humans ... I had always assumed this was a 90s phenomenon

As I've mentioned before, when I was in Southern California in 1983 I was told by someone who I trust, and who you all know, that the American athletes were taking, "something called growth hormone from dead people", in preparation for the Los Angeles games. Just look at the results.

How dare you suggests such a thing !! we all know our amazing US 80's heroes didn't cheat it was just those nasty commies :lol:

So we all know you and Flumpy have it in for those who were caught and served bans returning to competition, but now you also have it in for any American who did well in the 80's despite no evidence of cheating. What's next? The Jamaican's are performing well so you may want to disparage them, not to mention Kenya.

You claim to love the sport. Are you familiar with US Senator McCarthy from the 1950s? He really LOVED America!!
steve

Postby Cooter Brown » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:13 am

ESPN's 30 for 30 series will be doing one called "9.79*".

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPPfYtFE6og&feature=player_embedded
Cooter Brown

Postby JRM » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:54 am

Cooter Brown wrote:ESPN's 30 for 30 series will be doing one called "9.79*".

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPPfYtFE6og&feature=player_embedded

That footage is from the same documentary.
JRM

Postby cullman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:20 pm

marknhj wrote:
knockout wrote:Also interesting that that HGH was being used by athletes as early as the 1984 olympics, extracted from dead humans ... I had always assumed this was a 90s phenomenon

As I've mentioned before, when I was in Southern California in 1983 I was told by someone who I trust, and who you all know, that the American athletes were taking, "something called growth hormone from dead people", in preparation for the Los Angeles games.

I was in and around the pharmaceutical industry in the 80s and the development of Somatropin, a recombinant growth hormone which allowed for more production...still there were shortages in Southern California at that time.

cman
cullman

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Cool.
eldanielfire

Postby bambam » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:27 pm

shotputter wrote:
IMO, worth reading, as is Speed Trap.

Speed Trap is a must read. It is actually one of the best books on sprinting and coaching out there. I read it five times.

I don't care how good it was - you must need more to do.
bambam