Another One for the Experts: AAU Jr. Region Meets?

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Another One for the Experts: AAU Jr. Region Meets?

Postby IndianaRunner » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:07 pm

In researching top performances by Indiana HS athletes, Indiana's Best reports several marks made in the AAU Region meets. However, I'm a bit confused on why the region numbers change over time in that publication and also curious about where the meets were held (in addition to a performance from the 1981 Junior Olympics noted below). I'll list the performances first and then see if anyone can help untie this knot of confusion with a few questions that follow.

Girls 100:
11.70, Lynn Reed, South Bend Clay HS, AAU Region VI Meet*, 1974, Location?
11.71, Karen Wechsler, Huntington North HS, AAU Region VI Meet*, 1976, Location?
11.75, Yvonne Blackman, Marion HS, AAU Region VI Meet*, 1976, Location?
11.91, Mary Van Dusen, Evansville Central HS, AAU Region VI Meet*, 1976, Location?

Girls 200:

24.10, Lynn Reed, South Bend Clay HS, AAU Region VI Meet*, 1974, Location?

Girls 100H:
13.62, Beth Happel, Indpls. Cathedral HS, AAU Region VI Meet*, 1982, Location?
14.30, Natasha Whitaker, North Central (Indpls.) HS, 1981, TAC/USA Jr. Olympic Nationals**
14.34, Tonya Weatherspoon, Gary Mann HS, AAU Jr.Olympics Region IV Meet, 1986, Dayton, Ohio

Boys High Jump:
7' 00.00, Leo Williams, Muncie Burris HS, AAU Jr. Olympic Region VI Meet, 1978, Location?

Girls High Jump:
5' 10.00, Colleen Costello, Plainfield HS, AAU Region VI Meet, 1983, Location?
5' 09.00, Chris Essington, Greenfield Central HS, AAU Region VI Meet, 1982, Location?
5' 09.00, Barb Zahorsky, Carmel HS, AAU Region VI Meet, 1981, Location?

Girls Long Jump:
20' 02.25, DeeDee White, Pike HS, AAU Region VI Meet, 1982, Location?

Girls Shot Put:
47' 03.25, Pam Dahnke, Harrison (W. Lafayette) HS, AAU Region VI Meet, 1975, Location?

(continued in next post due to exceeding maximum allowable characters for a post in this forum!)
Last edited by IndianaRunner on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.
IndianaRunner

Re: Another One for the Experts: AAU Jr. Regional Meets?

Postby IndianaRunner » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:08 pm

* In early editions of Indiana's Best, these are listed as Region VI, but in later editions these are changed to Region IV
** In early editions of the Indiana's Best, this meet is simply identified as J.O. Natls. (Wake Forest), but in later editions as TAC/USA Jr.Olympic Nationals...however, Wake Forest was the site of the AAU J.O. in 1982, not the TAC/USA meet.

So here are my questions to anyone that has knowledge about these long ago meets and the kindness to help out (I called the AAU national offices but a person there said they don't have records for these meets anymore).

1. Although only the Leo Williams and Tonya Weatherspoon entries specifically say so, I assume all these AAU region meets are feeders into the Jr. Olympic Nationals? Or was there also a separate AAU Jr. Nationals back then that had a separate regional meet process?

2. As noted above, early editions of Indiana's Best originally had all athletes as part of the Region VI Meet, but later editions switched the number to IV instead of VI (transposition error?)...but only for some athletes (all girls 100/200 and Happel's 100H), but not all (basically everyone else who are still listed as Region VI then and now).

In short, shouldn't all performances be from either Region IV or Region VI...or is there actually a mixture (the region number could have been changed at some point in time, I suppose, but couldn't detect any pattern here)? If there was only one question anybody could answer, this is the one I'm most interested in figuring out!

3. I'd also like to know the location of where the Region meets that Indiana participated in were held for for the following years: 1974, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1981, 1982, 1983

4. Did Whitaker run her 14.30 for the 100H at the TAC/USA Jr. Olympics or the AAU Jr. Olympics at Wake Forest in 1981? As noted above, I suspect the latter, but confirmation would be nice!

Well that turned out longer than I expected and probably too much to ask! But I've had other questions answered in this forum and appreciate the expertise here (i.e., if no one knows the answer here, then no one knows the answer anywhere!) and the kindness shown in sharing that expertise, so any information related to any of the above is appreciated!
IndianaRunner

Re: Another One for the Experts: AAU Jr. Regional Meets?

Postby wamego relays champ » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:23 am

IndianaRunner wrote:]

4. Did Whitaker run her 14.30 for the 100H at the TAC/USA Jr. Olympics or the AAU Jr. Olympics at Wake Forest in 1981? As noted above, I suspect the latter, but confirmation would be nice!
!

Whitaker's mark is almost certainly at the AAU NJO. At the 1981 TAC/USA Nationals I do not see her making the finals, where the slowest finisher was 14.35. However, I do not have the results of the qualifying heats. Unless she was a DNQ running 14.30 in a heat, the mark was from the AAU JO Nationals.
wamego relays champ

Re: Another One for the Experts: AAU Jr. Region Meets?

Postby IndianaRunner » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:51 am

As with other threads, thanks for the help, wamego!

So that leaves the following:

1. What was the number for the AAU region meets that the State of Indiana participated in from 1974 to 1986: IV or VI or a mixture? Again, I'm assuming these were all region meets feeding into the national AAU Jr. Olympics, but could be wrong.

2. What were the locations of the meets for 1974, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1981, 1982, and 1983?

I'm sure this information must be somewhere in the AAU national offices, but no help there unfortunately when I contacted them!
IndianaRunner

Postby James Fields » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Indiana Runner asked:
"1. What was the number for the AAU region meets that the State of Indiana participated in from 1974 to 1986: IV or VI or a mixture? Again, I'm assuming these were all region meets feeding into the national AAU Jr. Olympics, but could be wrong."
________

On page 116 of the "1975 AAU Code" Indiana is listed in Region 6 which also included Kentucy, Ohio, Lake Erie, Michigan, Central, West Virginia.

AAU Junior Olympics started in 1949 but I was not active with JO program after 1968. That 1975 AAU Code booklet, the only one still on my bookshelf, would have been prepared in 1974 by which time I was coaching University of Missouri women's track.

As you probably know, the "AAU Junior Olympic Games" competition is multi-sport -- not just Track & Field as is the case for "USATF Junior Olympics."

Both AAU and USATF websites provide details about their programs. For research into activities a quarter-century ago [1974-1986] you might find, as I have, that sports pages of newspapers on microfilm can be a useful source. I've used such sources, usually found in libraries -- public and university -- for meet results going back more than 100 years.

Your focus on Indiana suggests that you may live there. In 2000 I found a lot of track and field information in the Butler University Library at Indianapolis. The NCAA and USATF headquarters, both in Indianapolis, may have shelved copies of old AAU handbooks which certainly are of a size requiring little space but offer lots of interesting history.
James Fields

Postby IndianaRunner » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Great stuff, JF, and yes I do live in Indiana (as well as Knoxville for 4 years which you list as one of your locations) and might just make a trip to Butler U. library!
IndianaRunner