The Browning Bounce?

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

The Browning Bounce?

Postby Marlow » Tue May 08, 2012 7:59 am

I feel as though we might have covered this before, but here is an alleged 7' jump back when the world record was 6'11, made by a gymnast in a tumbling run . . . but . . . do you notice they never actually show him and the bar in way that makes it clear that the bar is that high?

http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/gallery ... 58_6700.do

And, is it on a spring-loaded floor?

[this is from a great article linked on the home-page about Fosbury]

edit - here's the thread I must have remembered

viewtopic.php?t=754
Last edited by Marlow on Tue May 08, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marlow

Re: The Browning Bounce?

Postby Conor Dary » Tue May 08, 2012 8:04 am

I think they made a movie about it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043362/
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Tue May 08, 2012 10:39 am

I have this recollection that in yet another thread HJ expert Suso weighed in with some photo analysis and "proved" that the bar wasn't that high.
gh

Postby Dave » Tue May 08, 2012 10:47 am

It would be interesting to see a contemporary gymnast try the same experiment.

Here is another set of pictures of the event:

http://www.usghof.com/files/bio/d_brown ... wning.html
Dave

Postby Marlow » Tue May 08, 2012 11:01 am

gh wrote:I have this recollection that in yet another thread HJ expert Suso weighed in with some photo analysis and "proved" that the bar wasn't that high.

I was thinking the same. I have great difficulty seeing anything over 6'6 (which is still pretty darned impressive!) off a concrete floor. Sprung floor? Yeah, 7'6, even 8' is very doable.

BTW - the rules should be unrestricted - it's the HIGH JUMP, not the High One-Footed Jump.
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Tue May 08, 2012 11:50 am

gh wrote:I have this recollection that in yet another thread HJ expert Suso weighed in with some photo analysis and "proved" that the bar wasn't that high.

Here is the thread that Suso contributed to:

tumbling high jump record
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Tue May 08, 2012 12:56 pm

Marlow wrote:

I was thinking the same. I have great difficulty seeing anything over 6'6 (which is still pretty darned impressive!) off a concrete floor. Sprung floor? Yeah, 7'6, even 8' is very doable.

BTW - the rules should be unrestricted - it's the HIGH JUMP, not the High One-Footed Jump.

I think we have had this discussion before on one foot, two foot. Probably had to do with not breaking your neck landing in a sand pit, which might happen somersaulting over a 7foot bar.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby kuha » Tue May 08, 2012 1:10 pm

I'd forgotten about this, but stand by my comments on the original thread--the camerawork was artfully done to disguise the fact that the bar was set WAY lower than 7 feet. I could easily be persuaded that it was actually at 5'6" or so.
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Tue May 08, 2012 1:29 pm

kuha wrote:I'd forgotten about this, but stand by my comments on the original thread--the camerawork was artfully done to disguise the fact that the bar was set WAY lower than 7 feet. I could easily be persuaded that it was actually at 5'6" or so.

I go with this. I think it is one big joke. Now it reminds me more of Muriel Hemingway 'hurdling' and 'high jumping' in Personal Best.
Conor Dary

Postby jhc68 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:04 am

There is no visual proof in the linked newsreel to really nail down how high the bar was set.

Better evidence are the photo sequences pubished originally in Life and posted on Browning's website (http://sites.google.com/site/dickbrowningarts/home/life-magazine) and again at http://books.google.com/books?id=KEgEAAAAMBAJ&q=browning#v=snippet&q=browning&f=false
(scroll to page 69)

Despite the fact that the last word of the Life Mag URL is "false", both series show Browning clearing heights that would have been world or national class HJ marks in the mid-1950's. The latter claims a quite believable looking 6'8" clearance from a surface that appears to be a track venue rather than a spring loaded floor.

So it is not difficult to lend credence to the claims that a two footed flip done by a talented athlete can produce lots of altitude, even in the 1950's. After all, the Jerome Simpson airborne touchdown forward flip by a non-gymnast with several pounds of pads on made every highlight show last fall (you can find it easily on any video search.)

Most interesting to me is Browning's back-to-the-bar clearance form which pre-dated the flop technique by a decade.
jhc68

Postby mrbowie » Tue May 22, 2012 7:09 pm

The guys later produced Yeti and UFO sightings! They are still probably peeing in their pants they are laughing so hard!
mrbowie

Postby mrbowie » Tue May 22, 2012 7:12 pm

I am pretty sure I spotted this guy through the window of one of UFO photos. You don't forget a guy this geeky looking.
mrbowie