Grant Hill Films Doc on Duke Track Coach

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Grant Hill Films Doc on Duke Track Coach

Postby Bijan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:41 am

FYI, unless it's on another board:

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6409276
Bijan

Re: Grant Hill Films Doc on Duke Track Coach

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:30 am

Well, he was my "coach" for 4 years, from 1961 to 1965. A fine man, and I believe a fine distance coach, but as a field guy, he never "coached" me, not for 30 seconds.

But I repeat, a fine man for sure. We got along great.
dukehjsteve

Postby bambam » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:49 pm

A fine man is a perfect description of Al Buehler. We in Durham have been very lucky to have Al and LeRoy Walker for the T&F world.
bambam

Postby DecFan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:36 am

There is now a book published from this project (amazon page for the book). Yesterday as part of the book publicity tour, Coach Buehler was interviewed on the Charlotte NPR affiliate (link to Charlotte Talks archive - audio will be available later this morning). I much enjoyed listening to this. I didn't know that the great NC Central teams under Leroy Walker trained on the Duke track during segregation.

Here's the Imdb page for the film that was referred to earlier in this thread.
DecFan

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:57 pm

DecFan wrote:There is now a book published from this project (amazon page for the book). Yesterday as part of the book publicity tour, Coach Buehler was interviewed on the Charlotte NPR affiliate (link to Charlotte Talks archive - audio will be available later this morning). I much enjoyed listening to this. I didn't know that the great NC Central teams under Leroy Walker trained on the Duke track during segregation.

Here's the Imdb page for the film that was referred to earlier in this thread.

Speaking from 62-65, which was my tenure, they were not over at our place every day, but did come over ( welcomed ! ) with some degree of frequency. NCC had a HJ'er named Tom Norman, and Coach Walker would coach the 2 of us. And that's the only coaching I ever got.
dukehjsteve