Best sprinter to never win an Olympic medal?

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Postby Daisy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:12 pm

TrackDaddy wrote:
Daisy wrote:
TrackDaddy wrote:Where art thou's accusers?!?L

Every thread you are in deteriorates. Does this happen on other message board too?

Me?

The royal you.

TrackDaddy wrote:All you did was jump in and attack Speedfirst when you didn't have a clue what you were talking about.

Apologize. lol

I agree it was not speedfirst, I just checked back and it was gh that made the comment about him being the 'fastest'.

But that was not the thrust of the point. My point was stop taking over the threads. Just read back over the thread. As soon as you two start arguing over definitions it is destroyed for the lurkers.
Daisy

Postby STL_Runner » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:16 pm

TrackDaddy wrote:You know, the kind of statements that STL Runner and a few others make on a regular basis when they dont agree with a stated position.

Hey, I made that statement ONE time. I didn't even state that I thought the thread SHOULD be locked, just that I had a feeling it was going to be considering every other thread about that topic always was.

I will say though that this thread, like many others, was going in the right direction until Speedfirst turned it into a pissing match with his typical "that's your opinion, not fact, you can ignore me, your choice, knock yourself out, I'll post how I want, your issue, not mine" rant.
STL_Runner

Postby TrackDaddy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Speedfirst and I didn't begin the argument over definitions of the word "best", Daisy.

GH did.

It was Speedfirst's opinion that was attacked...remember? Speedfirst merely agreed with me.

Didn't you just post that information? Did you read it first? What about after?

Do you people ever come clean?
TrackDaddy

Postby Daisy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:32 pm

We know what the title of the thread is, stopping trying to put words into others mouths. We all have different opinions and criteria but you consider that people must not understand the title of the thread rather than accept that these differing opinions exist.

Speedfirst wrote:gh...the question isn't who was kept from the Olympics, that's another question and thread all by itself.

Speedfirst wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Meanwhile Powell was fifth twice in the Olympics.

Again you guys are adding qualifiers to the thread and that's not what the thread is about. So I guess now your opinion is Wiliams was better than Asafa and Asafa never won anything?

Speedfirst wrote:
DecFan wrote:Any sprinter who was the best 100m runner in the world for two years or more and never won an Olympic medal would be ahead of him on this list.

Not what the thread states, put those runners you're referring to resume up against Asafa.

TrackDaddy wrote:The thread question asked who's the best to never win an Olympic medal.

So how can someone claim in the same thread that someone is disqualified because "if they were the best they would have won one by now?!?!"

Speedfirst wrote:
bad hammy wrote:Why are you guys wasting all of our time running on about Asafa here? It is a moot point - Gay is demonstrably better than Powell and also lacks Olympic hardware.

Your opinion, especially as it relates to this thread, so we'll kindly continue, now you can decide not to.

All of the above is just side tracking the thread.

Only after all that did STL_Runner write.
STL_Runner wrote:Of course it's his opinion. That's what this thread is about! Why do insist on making posts like this on so many different threads?

Can we PLEASE get an Ignore feature on this site?

And you wonder why?
Daisy

Postby STL_Runner » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Daisy wrote:Only after all that did STL_Runner write.
STL_Runner wrote:Can we PLEASE get an Ignore feature on this site?

And you wonder why?

Let me clarify that the person I want to put on my ignore list is Speedfirst, not TrackDaddy. TrackDaddy cracks me up too much. I like having him around (most of the time, ha ha).
STL_Runner

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Texas or Avante or whatever he chooses to call himself must be sitting back and laughing...
2 cents

Postby TrackDaddy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Um, Daisy...you might want to examine your post by grasping the context.

My post that you quote is indeed factual and not based on any subjective position or criteria whatsoever.

None.

Go back and take a look or...

Just ask Squackee. :-)

That seems to be part of the problem. You either don't have all the facts or you're struggling to grasp them while being overly anxious to criticize and blame others.
TrackDaddy

Postby TrackDaddy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:53 pm

STL_Runner wrote:

And you wonder why?

Let me clarify that the person I want to put on my ignore list is Speedfirst, not TrackDaddy. TrackDaddy cracks me up too much. I like having him around (most of the time, ha ha).

I like having you around too.

I mean FWIW since I doubt that me having that opinion will ever do you any good around here...lol
TrackDaddy

Postby bad hammy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:11 pm

I see td and sf have fucked up another thread - a huge surprise.
bad hammy

Postby Speedfirst » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:04 pm

STL_Runner wrote:

And you wonder why?

This from the guy who claimed and stated I hate him...surprise..surprise.
Speedfirst

Postby Speedfirst » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:09 pm

TrackDaddy wrote:Speedfirst...

Where art thou's accusers?!?

LOL

Yeah TD...reminds me of the Denzel Washington character in Glory...when he said...you wants to fight me don't you Snow Flake..LOL

We get accused of taking over, rail roading threads, however we make post related to the thread still get jumped all over..LOL

I know the lynch mob around here wants us gone like in yesterday.
Speedfirst

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:09 pm

2 cents wrote:A messageboard bully.

The rest of that post lost me, but I hope this statement is about me, becuz that would be so freakin' cool if somebody would characterize ME as a bully!

But then I realized that 2 cents has no credibility left after that Marlow = 7-sided debacle. That's the trouble with inside jokes, 2 cents: when you say them with a straight face, people think you're serious and then when it turns out badly, it's too late to say, 'just kidding'.

My best advice is to retire that moniker and start again (are you on your fourth?). I had to retire tafnut when gh got so jealous that tafnut had a higher post count than he did! :wink:
Marlow

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:15 pm

Marlow, I never wrote "message board bully" and you know it...I was quoting "7-sided," or rather, you, to show how much scorn you feel for TrackDaddy...You are 7-sided and everybody knows it...
2 cents

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:30 pm

re the above, everybody does not know it. I do not know it, for one. If Marlow says he is not 7- sided I for one believe him.
dukehjsteve

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:34 pm

2 cents wrote:Marlow, I never wrote "message board bully" and you know it...I was quoting "7-sided," or rather, you, to show how much scorn you feel for TrackDaddy...You are 7-sided and everybody knows it...

Oh, my bad! I feel zero scorn for Track Daddy (or speedfirst). They are passionate about T&F, therefore they are the 'good guys'. I rarely agree with what they post, which is just fine, this being a forum for contrasting ideas.

As far as the 7-sided thing goes . . . I still don't understand why you want to make the log-in of '2 cents' appear insane. How does that help your credibility? It seriously makes you look MattMarriottish! Even a cursory overview of his posting druthers makes it obvious. The only thing I can think of is that you have made '2 cents' appear so boorish in so many threads, so often, that you were about to retire it anyway, and wanted to go out as the craziest troll in town.
Marlow

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:34 pm

OK, anybody who is smart and paying attention knows that Marlow is 7-sided. You can decide where you fit dukesteve...
2 cents

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:36 pm

2 cents wrote:OK, anybody who is smart and paying attention knows that Marlow is 7-sided. You can decide where you fit dukesteve...

I well know where I fit 20 mills, and sure is not anywhere in any universe you live in. Not by a long shot.
dukehjsteve

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:38 pm

OK, dukesteve, you are not very smart. I am bored by this subject...However, the truth is the truth...
2 cents

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:41 pm

2 cents wrote:OK, dukesteve, you are not very smart. I am bored by this subject...However, the truth is the truth...

Sticks and stones may hurt my bones but names will never harm me. Having said that 20 mills, go insult someone else. You have gotten very boring. So now I am abandoning this inane discussion and going to watch the baseball game. Good night.
dukehjsteve

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:46 pm

2 cents wrote:OK, dukesteve, you are not very smart. I am bored by this subject...However, the truth is the truth...

This is not boring me at all, because psychotic minds always fascinate me. I just found this post by 7-s:

7-sided wrote:A little story about Canada's stupid policy.

There was this athlete named Charles Allen who did not have the A-standard in 2004. Luckily (or should we say "smart") for him he was "in the relay pool". Since he was already there, he was allowed to run the 110h.

1 4 Xiang Liu CHN 12.91 (=WR) 0.139
2 6 Terrence Trammell USA 13.18 . 0.154
3 7 Anier García CUB 13.20 (SB) 0.169
4 5 Maurice Wignall JAM 13.21 . 0.164
5 2 Stanislavs Olijars LAT 13.21 . 0.174
6 1 Charles Allen CAN 13.48 . 0.139
7 8 Mateus Facho Inocêncio BRA 13.49 . 0.169
8 3 Ladji Doucouré FRA 13.76 . 0.204

At some point, it's not about development, it's about being malicious. You have to wonder how many potential finalists are being left home, and have been left home since the institution of this policy. :roll:

I see I am now an expert on Canada's Oly policies - AWESOME! I'm getting smarter without even trying now!!! :D

At some point (in the near future, I suspect), you will realize that you've put too many eggs in the Crazy Basket, and you're gonna have to 'disappear' Mr. 2C.
Ben Hall could convince you, unless you're too far gone already.
Marlow

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:49 pm

You are a fanatic about the hurdles...you are incriminating yourself at every step....
2 cents

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:53 pm

we all sound like a bunch of premenstrual teenagers, r ya getting that. I may turn in my man card by daybreak.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Marlow wrote:

This is not boring me at all, because psychotic minds always fascinate me. I just found this post by 7-s:

7-sided wrote:A little story about Canada's stupid policy.

There was this athlete named Charles Allen who did not have the A-standard in 2004. Luckily (or should we say "smart") for him he was "in the relay pool". Since he was already there, he was allowed to run the 110h.

1 4 Xiang Liu CHN 12.91 (=WR) 0.139
2 6 Terrence Trammell USA 13.18 . 0.154
3 7 Anier García CUB 13.20 (SB) 0.169
4 5 Maurice Wignall JAM 13.21 . 0.164
5 2 Stanislavs Olijars LAT 13.21 . 0.174
6 1 Charles Allen CAN 13.48 . 0.139
7 8 Mateus Facho Inocêncio BRA 13.49 . 0.169
8 3 Ladji Doucouré FRA 13.76 . 0.204

At some point, it's not about development, it's about being malicious. You have to wonder how many potential finalists are being left home, and have been left home since the institution of this policy. :roll:

I see I am now an expert on Canada's Oly policies - AWESOME! I'm getting smarter without even trying now!!! :D

At some point (in the near future, I suspect), you will realize that you've put too many eggs in the Crazy Basket, and you're gonna have to 'disappear' Mr. 2C.
Ben Hall could convince you, unless you're too far gone already.

Marlow, you participated in this thread as Tafnut...
http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discus ... len+canada

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:14 pm Post subject: Re: m110H - semis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MJD wrote:

We (Canadians)
>definitely need to throw Charles' performance in the faces of the COC. If he
>wasn't on the relay team, they weren't going to send him.

Let's hope they have their priorities straight but I'm not optimistic. Maybe he should just refuse?
2 cents

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:00 pm

Checkmate...game over....
2 cents

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:27 pm

2 cents wrote:Checkmate...game over....

Can we please, please, please, bet a hugely obscene amount of money on this?! Whatever you can scrape together, I'll remortage my house to cover! While we're at it, whoever loses the bet can NEVER post here again under ANY log-in!!! EVER! Deal? [that should pique gh's interest, as he could also verify the truth!]
Marlow

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:33 pm

The more bravado you show, the more you hang yourself...I've already told you, you may use different IP addresses....so what....I notice you've left 7-sided out of this for now.... :lol:
And your wager is meaningless, since your word is no good. You're a liar, big deal, join the human race...
2 cents

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:48 pm

gh and bh, can you PLEASE get rid of this guy ??!!
dukehjsteve

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:59 pm

2 cents wrote:The more bravado you show, the more you hang yourself...I've already told you, you may use different IP addresses....so what....I notice you've left 7-sided out of this for now.... :lol:
And your wager is meaningless, since your word is no good. You're a liar, big deal, join the human race...

I must say after seeing this 2 cent, this cyber coin in action, he has redifined what i like to call a man of action, a man's man if you will and i know you will.

He seems to follow everything Marlow posts here and that is pretty cool to start with.

And then he finds time away from his research into all the many forms of exotic science he is invloved with to attend to the evil and stupid marlow.

I just think he deserves a standing O
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby mojo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:01 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:we all sound like a bunch of premenstrual teenagers, r ya getting that. I may turn in my man card by daybreak.

Trust me (having been one, raised two and worked with dozens,) they come of looking mighty good after reading the absolutely ridiculous stuff on the board these days. Make that skimming the crap here-it is seriously getting to the point of no return. Amazing how a few posters can ruin a forum.

gh and bh you used to delete posts for the slighest of reasons-where are you now while your board turns into a cesspool?
mojo

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:05 pm

2 cents wrote:The more bravado you show, the more you hang yourself...I've already told you, you may use different IP addresses....so what....I notice you've left 7-sided out of this for now.... :lol:

Then just go ahead and take the bet. bh is smart enough to figure out who's right. Isn't it worth taking the bet to see me go away forever?
Marlow

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:26 pm

Every one of your posts betrays you...You are your own Judas...
2 cents

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:31 pm

2 cents wrote:Every one of your posts betrays you...You are your own Judas...

Bluff. The very fact that you won't bet is the tell. Sooner or later gh will see this, and my promise to disappear forever will suffice to get him digging. Any decent hacker could expose me if I'm lying. Bet.
Marlow

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:40 pm

I already KNOW the truth. I don't want your house...Your false bravado rings hollow and desperate...
2 cents

Postby lonewolf » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:46 pm

I lost interest in this thread long ago except puzzlement over 2 cents obsession that Marlow also posts under another name. Those of us who have been around a while know Marlow only re-incarnates every 25,000 posts. At less than 8000 posts as Marlow he will not morph for another year.
lonewolf

Postby gh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:13 am

Well, this thread certainly went south in the couple of days that I ignored it.

If you check the board guidelines you'll see there is no proscription against posting under multiple names. What is generally understood as good board etiquette, however, is that one not make multiple posts on the same thread under different names simply to buttress one's position in a contentious subject. Since I see no 7-sided posts in this thread, what's the problem?

I would also note that the guidelines do have good-behaviour requirements, and 2 cents clearly has steppled over the line here.

And will enjoy the next week elsewhere.
gh

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:17 am

gh wrote:one not make multiple posts on the same thread under different names simply to buttress one's position in a contentious subject. Since I see no 7-sided posts in this thread, what's the problem?
I would also note that the guidelines do have good-behaviour requirements, and 2 cents clearly has steppled over the line here.

Thank you for banning 2C, but can bh verify that I am INDEED not 7-S, so 2C can go ahead and schedule that overdue psychiatric examination?
Marlow

Postby bambam » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:23 am

dukehjsteve wrote:gh and bh, can you PLEASE get rid of this guy ??!!

Just to add my 2 cents, I second that - get rid of 2 cents
bambam

Postby gh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:one not make multiple posts on the same thread under different names simply to buttress one's position in a contentious subject. Since I see no 7-sided posts in this thread, what's the problem?

Thank you for banning 2C, but can bh verify that I am INDEED not 7-S, so 2C can go ahead and schedule that overdue psychiatric examination?

I cannot. I can (in the full sense of the word, meaning ability as well as willingness) only tell you that 7-S's most recent post was from a different ISP than you are currently using.
gh

Postby KDFINE » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:32 pm

Whenever my thoughts wander over to "the best who never," I immediately censor myself to ignore anyone still competing since its not yet over for them. So I choose to publicly ignore the Gay versus Powell arguments.
Hal Davis and Steve Williams lead my list. As a New Yorker I'm prejudiced in favor of Williams. Leading into the 1976 trials I felt that he was making a mistake by running the 100 and would have had more time to get ready for the 200. Would he have had less of a chance of breaking down if he didn't try the 100? Maybe he should have been running the 400 all along, but it doesn't have the allure of being "the world's fastest man." On a different post I've taken the position that John Smith is the best 400 meter man not to have medaled. If healthy he probably would have won. He had several years at the top. Quarter-milers are sprinters too aren't they? Finally, one name that hasn't been mentioined yet is Charley Tidwell. If healthy in 1960 he would have been a contender in either the 100 or the 200. Of course he only had that one year at the top.
KDFINE

Postby guru » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:07 pm

gh wrote:
Marlow wrote:Thank you for banning 2C, but can bh verify that I am INDEED not 7-S, so 2C can go ahead and schedule that overdue psychiatric examination?

I cannot. I can (in the full sense of the word, meaning ability as well as willingness) only tell you that 7-S's most recent post was from a different ISP than you are currently using.

Of course, IP addresses are meaningless when trying to identify someone who doesn't want you to know who they are(or wants to dodge a website banning) - free proxy servers are everywhere. So as gh said, they couldn't "verify" such a thing with certainty even if they wanted(unless they had a court order LOL).

That being said, I'd observe that 2 cents never thought marlow was 7-sided anyway.
guru

PreviousNext