Greatest miler never #1

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Greatest miler never #1

Postby jsquire » Mon May 19, 2003 7:51 am

Every so often in the rankings issue T&FN will put up the best marks by athletes never to appear in the world rankings.

On a historical note, then:

Who are the best athletes who never ranked #1 in the world? For the 1500/mile, the nominees are Michel Jazy, Filbert Bayi, and Steve Scott. I choose Bayi.
jsquire

Re: Greatest miler never #1

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 8:55 am

Agree with Bayi. One of the great things about this site is the memories it can bring back. I'd completely forgotten about the 1974 Commonwealth final and what a fantastic race it was.

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 1:04 pm

Steve Scott. I remember Cram being ranked #1 ahead of Scott, because of one race, while Scott definitely had the overall best season, best record. But to give the appearance of not being biased, Cram was given the nod.

Postby jsquire » Tue May 20, 2003 4:40 am

>Steve Scott. I remember Cram being ranked #1
>ahead of Scott, because of one race, while Scott
>definitely had the overall best season, best
>record. But to give the appearance of not being
>biased, Cram was given the nod.

Bull. The rankings committee doesn't need to appear unbiased, they simply are. The year was 1982, and Scott and Cram each lost only one race. Scott was third at the Weltklasse, the only race that featured all of the world's top four, and Cram won it. Cram won the year's biggets races (Weltklasse, Euro, Commonwealth) and had a winning record against everyone. Ergo, an unarguable first.

In 1983, it was Cram #1 and Scott #2 again. Cram was undefeated and Scott lost two races, one of them the Worlds.
jsquire