U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List


Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby milefanatic » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:21 pm

I have been doing research on this for about a month now and I seem to be coming to a halt becuase of my lack of resources. All times that I am looking for should be under 4:14 for the FULL mile. I will convert times. If you do have a new person and time to add to the list please provide the exact time and any other information you have on that specific performance. Thank you!

Revised!!! I used your posts and found some more. Thanks. Keep it coming please.

U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List:

4:06.07 – Jeff See (Middletown, OH) 15 June 2003
4:06.60* – Jeff Warrick (Bayshore, FL) 1978
4:06.76 – Craig Miller (Lancaster, PA) 19 June 2004
4:06.94 – Alan Webb (South Lakes, VA) 1999
4:07.80 – Jim Ryun (Wichita, KS) 1963
4:08.56 – Bobby Lockhart (Wincherster, VA) 2000
4:08.80 – Jim Arriola (Gahr, CA) 1 June 1974
4:08.92* – Mac Fleet (University City, CA) 21 March 2007
4:09.10 – Eric Hulst (Laguna Beach, CA) 1974
4:09.29 – Brian Turner (Millard North, NE) 1998
4:09.82 – Andy Powell (Oliver Ames, MA) 1997
4:10.02 – Michael Stember (Jesuit, CA) 4 June 1994
4:10.21 – Todd McCallister (Deerfield, IL) 1976
4:10.77 – Adam Perkins (Liberty, MO) 2001
4:10.90 – Laef Barnes (Mead, WA) 15 June 2003
4:11.19 – Sintayehu Taye (Portland, ME) 4 June 2005
4:11.50 – Rudy Chapa (Hammond, IN) 1974
4:12.30 – John Trautmann (Woodbury HS, NY) 1984
4:12.40 – Jerry Richey (North Allegheny, PA) 1966
4:12.46 – Duncan Phillips (College State, TX) 14 May 2005
4:12.49 – Louis Quintana (Arroyo Grande, CA) 1989
4:12.50 – Rob Carney (Burnsville, MN) 1976
4:12.60 – Bobby Curtis (Louisville, KY) 16 June 2001
4:12.70 – Jody Weatherwax (Hartford Public, CT) 1974
4:12.77 – Craig Forys (Colts Neck, NJ) 2005
4:12.82 – Leonel Manzano (Marble Falls HS, TX) 2002
4:12.97 – Walton Kingsberry (Shrewsbury, NJ) 2000
4:13.07 – Coley Candaele (Carpinteria, CA) 1988
4:13.20 – Ralph Serna (Anaheim, CA) 1973
4:13.20 – Doug Smith (Central, Souix City, IA) 1966
4:13.40 – Robert Gonzalez (Falfurrias, TX) 1965
4:13.49 – Brian Rhodes – Devey 2005
4:13.52 – Rob Finnerty (Burnsville, MN) 17 June 2005
4:13.58 – Ben Aragon (West Hills, CA) 27 May 1999
4:13.60 – Brendan Fennell (Pearl River, NY) 16 June 2001
4:13.69 – Josh Spiker (Ventura, CA) 1999
4:13.74 – Taylor Gilland (Chapel Hill, NC) 2007
4:13.80 – T.J. Hobart (Baldwin, PA) 4 May 2007
4:13.81 – A.J. Acosta (El Camino HS, CA) 2004
4:13.83 – Dan Roberts (Vicksburg, MI) 5 June 2004
4:13.94 – Cameron Schwehr (Mt. Spokane, WA) 2000

* = converted from 1500m
Last edited by milefanatic on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
milefanatic
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:22 pm

Postby jhc68 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:55 pm

Coley Candaele / 4:11.57 at 1600 meters / California State Meet 1988

Maybe Louis Quintana should be added, too, for his 1989 4:12.49, if you use a 1.5 second conversion (?)... I'd suggest scouring CA State Meet results for names that appear 3 times in mile results for starts... then move on to other States' archives.
Last edited by jhc68 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhc68
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby paulthefan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:02 pm

the list would be more accessible/useful if it included HS affiliation and state.
paulthefan
 
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Location, Location.

Postby tc » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Jim Arriola (Gahr, Cerritos CA) ran 4:08.8 at Long Beach on 1 June 1974. Michael Stember (Jesuit, Sacramento CA) ran 4:08.52 for 1600 meters on 4 June 1994.
tc
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby bf » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:06 pm

Is Arriola's 4:08.8 still the age-15 record?
bf
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby dj » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:10 am

A quick FYI: Jack Shepard's 50-deep annual high school list didn't extend even to 4:13.0 for the mile in 1977.
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby mcgato » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:43 am

1976 Region 1AA meet in Minnesota, sophomore Rob Carney (Burnsville, MN) finished in 3rd place in 4:12.5.
mcgato
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Hoboken

Postby DrJay » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 am

Seem to remember hearing Todd McCallister might have run that fast as a soph. He was from Illinois, ?Naperville, ran at U. of North Carolina circa 1978-82.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Postby DrJay » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:19 am

Todd McCallister and his twin brother Mark, who ran for Duke, were from Deerfield, IL.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Postby DrJay » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:46 am

Deerfield HS's website has a nice list of school records, alltime lists, and freshman and sophomore class records:

http://www.d113.lake.k12.il.us/dhs/Spor ... ecords.doc

It lists Todd as having run 4:08.5 for 1600 as a soph in 1976:

1600 M Todd McCallister 4:08.5 76

Don't know if that was converted from a mile or if that was actually his time over a mile.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Postby ed gee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:49 am

It is a converted time from 4:10+ run at the IL state meet.
Ron Wartgow won in 4:07+ and Todd was 2nd, IIRC.
IL HS did not convert to the 1600/3200 until the late '70s.
Tom Graves won in '78 and it was still the mile and two mile.
ed gee
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby DrJay » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:32 pm

TAFNEWS July 1976, p. 59. Todd McCallister ran 4:10.4 [finished no better than 3rd, behind Wartgow and Bob Hicks (4:09.2)], but Todd moved to 4th all-time on the soph list.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby Arizona Jones » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:35 pm

I ran in the race at Long Beach in the summer that Jim Arriola ran the 4:08.8 as a 15 year old. It was a summer all commers meet. A sophmore race, not the open division. I was 16 and thought I might do OK. I think I was second in 4:43. For me my best at the time for just a kid between feshman and sophmore years. Who would have thought some 15 year old would do that in a summer all comers meet? Funny thing was he never got all that much faster. I believe the track was brand new and maybe he just liked the rubberized track.

Another note. The time listed for Eric Hulst as a sophmore 4:09 was at the arcadia invitational where he was only 5th place. He doubled that night and ran an amazing 8:59.8 two mile to win the two mile race over Schankel at 9:04.8
1. Clifford - 4:07.1
2. Serna - 4:07.6
3. John Musich (Burbank)- 4:08.9
4. Schankel - 4:09.1
5. Hulst - 4:09.1
Arizona Jones
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby kuha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Kind of amazing times. I remember Doug Smith's name from the 1960s--I see his 4:13 as a soph and want to say that he did 4:15 as a freshman...maybe?
kuha
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby dj » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Long-lost threads!

Jerry Richey was a junior in 1966.
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby gh » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:42 pm

kuha wrote:Kind of amazing times. I remember Doug Smith's name from the 1960s--I see his 4:13 as a soph and want to say that he did 4:15 as a freshman...maybe?


Doug Smith ran 4:15.5 as a frosh in '65. That was the class record until ’05.
gh
 
Posts: 46327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby kuha » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:22 am

gh wrote:Doug Smith ran 4:15.5 as a frosh in '65. That was the class record until ’05.


Ah, yes--thanks. Had no idea that had held on for 40 years as the class record. I DO remember how astonishing that seemed at the time.
kuha
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby gh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:34 am

A mere 40 years? Piffle! How about Curt Anders' frosh record in the long jump. 24-6¾ (7.48) in '66 and still going strong. (and it's still the national age-15 record)
gh
 
Posts: 46327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby huntinwr » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:14 pm

milefanatic wrote:I have been doing research on this for about a month now and I seem to be coming to a halt becuase of my lack of resources. All times that I am looking for should be under 4:14 for the FULL mile. I will convert times. If you do have a new person and time to add to the list please provide the exact time and any other information you have on that specific performance. Thank you!

Revised!!! I used your posts and found some more. Thanks. Keep it coming please.

U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List:

4:06.07 – Jeff See (Middletown, OH) 15 June 2003
4:06.60* – Jeff Warrick (Bayshore, FL) 1978
4:06.76 – Craig Miller (Lancaster, PA) 19 June 2004
4:06.94 – Alan Webb (South Lakes, VA) 1999
4:07.80 – Jim Ryun (Wichita, KS) 1963
4:08.56 – Bobby Lockhart (Wincherster, VA) 2000
4:08.80 – Jim Arriola (Gahr, CA) 1 June 1974
4:08.92* – Mac Fleet (University City, CA) 21 March 2007
4:09.10 – Eric Hulst (Laguna Beach, CA) 1974
4:09.29 – Brian Turner (Millard North, NE) 1998
4:09.82 – Andy Powell (Oliver Ames, MA) 1997
4:10.02 – Michael Stember (Jesuit, CA) 4 June 1994
4:10.21 – Todd McCallister (Deerfield, IL) 1976
4:10.77 – Adam Perkins (Liberty, MO) 2001
4:10.90 – Laef Barnes (Mead, WA) 15 June 2003
4:11.19 – Sintayehu Taye (Portland, ME) 4 June 2005
4:11.50 – Rudy Chapa (Hammond, IN) 1974
4:12.30 – John Trautmann (Woodbury HS, NY) 1984
4:12.40 – Jerry Richey (North Allegheny, PA) 1966
4:12.46 – Duncan Phillips (College State, TX) 14 May 2005
4:12.49 – Louis Quintana (Arroyo Grande, CA) 1989
4:12.50 – Rob Carney (Burnsville, MN) 1976
4:12.60 – Bobby Curtis (Louisville, KY) 16 June 2001
4:12.70 – Jody Weatherwax (Hartford Public, CT) 1974
4:12.77 – Craig Forys (Colts Neck, NJ) 2005
4:12.82 – Leonel Manzano (Marble Falls HS, TX) 2002
4:12.97 – Walton Kingsberry (Shrewsbury, NJ) 2000
4:13.07 – Coley Candaele (Carpinteria, CA) 1988
4:13.20 – Ralph Serna (Anaheim, CA) 1973
4:13.20 – Doug Smith (Central, Souix City, IA) 1966
4:13.40 – Robert Gonzalez (Falfurrias, TX) 1965
4:13.49 – Brian Rhodes – Devey 2005
4:13.52 – Rob Finnerty (Burnsville, MN) 17 June 2005
4:13.58 – Ben Aragon (West Hills, CA) 27 May 1999
4:13.60 – Brendan Fennell (Pearl River, NY) 16 June 2001
4:13.69 – Josh Spiker (Ventura, CA) 1999
4:13.74 – Taylor Gilland (Chapel Hill, NC) 2007
4:13.80 – T.J. Hobart (Baldwin, PA) 4 May 2007
4:13.81 – A.J. Acosta (El Camino HS, CA) 2004
4:13.83 – Dan Roberts (Vicksburg, MI) 5 June 2004
4:13.94 – Cameron Schwehr (Mt. Spokane, WA) 2000

* = converted from 1500m


Time to update again! Joe Hardy (Seattle Prep, WA) ran a 4:09.29 last spring as a soph...
huntinwr
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Walla Walla, Washington

Re: U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby aaronk » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:36 pm

In my "Archie's Little Black Book" from 1962, Bruce Bess is listed as the "first boy in the world, age 15 yrs 9 mos to run a mile in 4:17.5".

Does anyone know, or remember how fast Bess eventually ran, and if he ran faster in HS??
aaronk
 
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby dj » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:25 pm

aaronk wrote:In my "Archie's Little Black Book" from 1962, Bruce Bess is listed as the "first boy in the world, age 15 yrs 9 mos to run a mile in 4:17.5".

Does anyone know, or remember how fast Bess eventually ran, and if he ran faster in HS??



The 4:17.5 was in 1960. As a junior in '61 he ran 4:14.8 to win the Cal state meet. As a senior in '62 he got down to 4:13.4 when he finished 2nd at the Cal state meet to Dennis Carr's 4:08.7, the two of them running in separate sections.
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby gh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Bess finished 3rd in the NCAA 880 as a soph.

He also has an IAAF World Record plaque..... because..... ?
gh
 
Posts: 46327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: U.S. Sophomore All Time Mile List

Postby DoubleRBar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:49 am

Maybe a four X 800 relay?
DoubleRBar
 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Mineral City


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 8 guests