Quiz show on the marathon

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Quiz show on the marathon

Postby larwood » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:23 pm

Who is the only male marathoner to compete in the Olympics under two different names?
larwood

Re: Quiz show on the marathon

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:59 pm

Kee-chung Sohn/Kitei Son, 1936.

Postby larwood » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:48 am

That is an interesting answer, but not the correct one. While it is true that 1936 winner Kee Chung Sohn was known as Kitei Son in Japan that is only because Sohn, a Korean living in Japan occupied Korea in the 30's and forced to compete under the Japanese flag and therefore not his real name. The correct answer is someone who competed in the Olympics under two different, legal by law, names.
larwood

Postby MJR » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:28 am

>That is an interesting answer, but not the
>correct one. While it is true that 1936 winner
>Kee Chung Sohn was known as Kitei Son in Japan
>that is only because Sohn, a Korean living in
>Japan occupied Korea in the 30's and forced to
>compete under the Japanese flag and therefore not
>his real name. The correct answer is someone who
>competed in the Olympics under two different,
>legal by law, names.

So, then your own argument defeats itself. The laws he competed under, while not ours, were infact the laws of his nations, so therefore the guy had 2 names. Not that I agree with the whole Japanese occupation and slavery that resulted from it. But they did have laws. I doubt they had any stinkin' badges though.
MJR

Postby larwood » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:16 am

Why so serious? It is only a trivia question. As to your comment, I have no idea of the legality of his Japanese name, or why he was called that. For all I know it has as much relevance as Richard Chamberlain being called Anji in Shogun, which only meant pilot. Shon is listed in the record books (at least the ones I have) as, and only as Kee Chung Sohn and was called that when he carried the Olympic torch in 1988.

As for my 'correct' answer the fellow I have in mind ran, by his own volition, under two (legal in his own country) names. So there!
larwood

Postby gh » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:18 pm

Allow me to tweak Larwood's question for him: make it "competed under one name in one Olympics, another name in another Olympics."

gh (aka anjin-san)
gh

Postby larwood » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:22 pm

gh-san, thank you for your comment, which is, of course, what I meant. Though I think it makes it rather obvious who it is. (I hope!)

These questions are suppose to be fun, not a political discussion. I read the NY Times for that!

sayonara,

larwood-san
larwood

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:16 pm

How about Peter Buniak(sp) and Jerome Drayton

Postby larwood » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:17 pm

Yes, we have a winner! As Peter Buniak, he did not finish the 1968 marathon. However, as Jerome Drayton he finished 6th at Montreal! Who needs drugs when changing your name has such a dramatic change. (And I mean that literally!) Apparently Buniak did not like the sound of his name so he decided to change it sometime in 1969. A rumor at the time was he modeled his name on the sprinters Harry Jerome (3rd Tokyo 100m) and Paul Drayton. However, in an interview in a 1969 Distance Running News (back when Runners World was readable) he denied that and said he got his name out of the telephone directory.

Now isn't that far more interesting than the Anjin-san answer? I rest my case.
larwood

Postby cullman » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:25 am

I believe he spelled his new name Jeromee. Not sure why. Very odd fellow.
cullman

Postby gh » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:51 am

Jeromee was a contemporary of Drayton's, Western Michigan steeplechaser Jeromee (pronounced Jeremy) Liebenberg.

When Drayton was asked why he had named himself after a pait of Olympic medal-winning sprinters he admired, snapped, "If I wanted to name myself after famous athletes I'd be [at this point I don't remember his specific answer] Emil Clarke or Ron Zatopek." Or maybe he said Abebe Keino, but you get the point.
gh

Postby trackhead » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:31 am

if Kenyans keep crossing the Indian Ocean and Red Sea to Qatar, you may have more answers than Buniak.
trackhead