Who's the Top 5 Female Sprinters of all time ? ( Based on th

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:06 pm

1. Marion Jones
2. Gail Devers
3. Merlene Ottey
4. Gwen Torrance
5. Flo Jo

Re: Who's the Top 5 Female Sprinters of all time ? ( Based o

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:10 pm

I almost agree

1. Marion Jones
2. Gail Devers
3. Evelyn Ashford
4. Merlene Ottey
5. Gwen Torrance

Optional: Flo Jo

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:25 pm

1- Flo JO
2- Wilma RUDOLPH
3- Marion JONES
4- Evelyn ASHFORD
5- Gail DEVERS

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:33 pm

A question, then an observation, and then some new names.

(1) What does sprinter mean - leaving out the 400 m?

(2) With I believe only one exception, everyone listed is from the USA. The rest of the world has not produced any great sprinters?

(3) How about Irena Szewinska, Fanny Blankers-Koen for starters?

Postby michael lewis » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:13 pm

Evelyn Ashford was the first woman to claim PRs below BOTH 11 and 22 seconds, and only the second woman under each barrier. First to conquer both in a single season. To this day Marion Jones has only bettered Ashford's 200 PR of 21.83, set in the very dead air of Montreal out of lane 8, by no more than 0.07 at sea level, and by 0.21 at altitude (and also out of lane 8). I think few fans today have any clue of what a phenomenal half-lap sprinter she was. Her top-end speed was stunning.

Consider who her predecessors were in each event, Gohr and Koch of East Germany, and that she beat them both convincingly in the 79 World Cup. She repeated the double in 1981 in Rome, beating Gohr again, and 2-time Olympic 200 champ Wockel plus Kratochvilova in the 200 (Ashford
running out of lane 1!!!) The World Cup was,at the time, the forerunner of the World Championships which replaced it in 1983, and East Germany took the meet very seriously. Ashford's 2 doubles were the equivalent at that time of 2 consecutive WC doubles today, since she unquestionably conquered the world's best in the process.

She went on to set two world records for 100m , made 3 Olympic 100 finals 76, 84, 88, taking gold in 84 and then silver behind Flojo in 88, and won 3 consecutive Olympic relay golds, .....leaving her OFF the list is incomprehensible.
michael lewis

Postby Jon » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:23 pm

What I want to know is how come the same person created the first two posts..? (look at the email addy).

Haven't really put too much thinking into this, but strong contenders for this list would be:

Marion Jones, Merlene Ottey, Evelyn Ashford, Irina Privalova, Gail Devers, Gwen Torrence, Marita Koch.
Jon

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:51 pm

This thread obviouslyb elongs on the "current events" forum. Let me know when somebody wants to talk about somebody actually out of history. Just remember,Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:20 pm

This thread obviouslyb elongs on the "current events" forum. Let me know when somebody wants to talk about somebody actually out of history. Just remember,Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.

It shouldn't belong on the current events forum.. If someone was born in the late 70's and wasn't around to see Wilma Rudulph, Fanny blankers-Koen or Wyomia Tyus, they really can't put them on the list.. You can only go by whom you've grew up watching... regardless of what people say....you can read a story about Wilma Rudulph and others. but it's not the same as watching the athletes for numerous years...

Postby Devers66 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:29 pm

What I want to know is how come the same person created the first two posts..? (look at the email addy).

Haven't really put too much thinking into this, but strong contenders for this list would be:

Marion Jones, Merlene Ottey, Evelyn Ashford, Irina Privalova, Gail Devers, Gwen Torrence, Marita Koch.

The 1st one wasn't supposed to be posted, it was an error... anyways, don't sh*t ya draws.. if not too much thought was put in it half of the names you mention are the same.
Devers66

Postby Jon » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:27 pm

>The 1st one wasn't
>supposed to be posted, it was an error...
>anyways, don't sh*t ya draws.. if not too much
>thought was put in it half of the names you
>mention are the same.

So now you've posted under 3 different aliases (Paul, Junior, Devers 66) - any reason for this? Anyone would think you're hiding something.

And what the hell is:
"don't sh*t ya draws.. if not too much thought was put in it half of the names you mention are the same."
supposed to mean??

When I said that not much thinking had been put into it, I meant that I was just posting it in a rush, as someone else was waiting to use the computer. I was just churning out some names to generate discussion. When I have more time, I'll give some CAREFUL consideration to the placings.
Jon

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:03 pm

The grammatically correct question is: Who Were The Top 5 (not who's...). Consistent is not spelled with an "a". Now that we've cleared that up, I name, in no particular order:

Evelyn Ashford
Marion Jones
Wilma Rudolph
Irena Swezinska
Merlene Ottey

Hon. Mention would be Devers,Tyus, Griffith-Joyner, Prerec,Koch, Cheng,Brisco-Hooks,Torrence.

Postby michael lewis » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:35 am

Since the thread originator doesn't specify whether he means 100/200 or also 400, here are my picks with 400 carrying weight too.

Evelyn Ashford
Marita Koch
Marion Jones
Gwen Torrence
Merlene Ottey
Florence Griffith Joyner
Irena Szewinska
Wilma Rudolph
Irina Privalova
Marie Jo Perec
michael lewis

Postby RMc » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:04 am

>If someone was born in the late
>70's and wasn't around to see Wilma Rudulph,
>Fanny blankers-Koen or Wyomia Tyus, they really
>can't put them on the list.. You can only go by
>whom you've grew up watching... regardless of
>what people say....you can read a story about
>Wilma Rudulph and others. but it's not the same
>as watching the athletes for numerous years...

I disagree. I was born in the late 1950s. I never say Rudolph or Blanker-Koen run, but I can read about their career and conclude whether they belong on the list of greatest or not. If we use the standard of including only those that we've seen, we have to drop any athletes that competed before 1932 (and only Cordner Nelson saw those ;^)), and we'll have to progressively drop athletes as the fans age. Seems ridiculous. Just do your research and try to look over the entire span of the sport.
RMc

Postby Pego » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:28 pm

1. Marion Jones
2. Irena Szewinska
3. Evelyn Ashford (my all-time favored female athlete)
4. Marita Koch
5. Gail Devers
6. Flo-Jo
7. Wilma Rudolph
8. Fanny Blankers-Koen
9. Wyomia Tyus
10. Irina Privalova (could be higher)
11. Marlies Gohr
12. Gwen Torrence

So many other good choices! I could not do just 5. Also the order of the above could be shuffled. The originator insisted on “consistence”, otherwise Flo-Jo would be much higher, first or second.
Pego

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:20 pm

I was born long enough ago to have seen Rudolph run, but if you indeed want to follow the subject line here with the qualifier "based on their careers being consistent" she only had three years as a world ranker; not quite enough to make a top 10 (and certainly not a top 5).

Given the absence of any mention of Helen Stephens, I have to agree with the guy who suggested this be moved to "current events".

Postby michael lewis » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:26 pm

"Given the absence of any mention of Helen Stephens, I have to agree with the guy who suggested this be moved to "current events"."

Well I had my thread on this same Historical board entitled "Top 10 Women Sprinters Ever?" moved from Current Events. I understand the rationale for doing that, and I don't think you'd find this thread staying over there much longer either.
michael lewis

Postby michael lewis » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:27 pm

ps - also interesting you'd mention Helen Stephens as I was leaning heavily toward including her on my top-10 list. I think she'd have been a modern-day Marita Koch.
michael lewis

Postby waynehobley » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:40 pm

Gail Devers
Marion Jones
Merlene Ottey
Inger Miller (The Inger of the past)
Angela Williams
waynehobley