High Jump History: Book on Straddling (by Geoff Nelson?)


Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Postby paulthefan » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:57 pm

Can the straddle make a comeback in the 21st century?
paulthefan
 
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Location, Location.

Postby jhc68 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Geoff, you know I've been waiting for a copy for years now! Your old email address bounces back. Email me or send a private message here. Joe C.
jhc68
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: High Jump History: Book on Straddling (by Geoff Nelson?)

Postby tupeke » Fri May 07, 2010 8:23 pm

Has anyone managed to contact the author of this book and buy a copy? I desperately want it!! Anyone know his email address?
tupeke
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:36 am
Location: Aotearoa

Re: High Jump History: Book on Straddling (by Geoff Nelson?)

Postby bambam » Sat May 08, 2010 9:10 am

Tupeke - if anyone has it it is jhc68, who is listed on a post on this forum on 8 Oct 2005, discussing this 800 unpublished manuscript by his friend Geoff Nelson. JHC68 - did you ever get a copy of this?
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: High Jump History: Book on Straddling (by Geoff Nelson?)

Postby jhc68 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:09 am

No, I haven't seen it yet, either!
I count Geoff as a friend even though I've only had email contact with him - we grew up in the same area with lots of overlapping acquaintances and experiences and he seems like a good guy. What I have seen of the book is fragments that were posted years ago on Joe Faust's (no-longer existent) website with great photos and very informed narrative, along with emails from time to time describing new facts or people or trivia that Geoff had discovered.
Geoff was out of contact for a very long time. A few weeks ago, though, I got an email from him. My understanding is that the book is finished but that he has not found a publisher and self-publishing is not an option for him. Me, I might send him the costs of throwing it on the copy machine and mailing it to me if he were of a mind to do so.
At any rate, I just sent him an email to let him know that there are new inquiries on this board. He sometimes posts here so maybe he will give us all the latest progress report or if he replies directly to me I'll relay it on to this thread.
jhc68
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: High Jump History: Book on Straddling (by Geoff Nelson?)

Postby nielsalofsen » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Is this book already available?
nielsalofsen
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:08 am

Re: High Jump History: Book on Straddling (by Geoff Nelson?)

Postby jhc68 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:42 pm

So far as I know the book is not available.
I've never met Geoff Nelson (the author)in person but I still get the occasional email from him. I believe the book is done but there are major issues with copyrights for the photos and $$ to self-publish.
Some posters here, including mrbowie and marco have contacted Geoff to help out but I don't believe the book is much closer to publication. Too bad, I'd love to have a copy and Geoff Nelson seems like a really knowledgeable good guy.
jhc68
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re:

Postby noone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:52 pm

jhc68 wrote:Faust was a sensational prodigy back in the day:
7 ft at age 17 yrs 9 months in 1960
6 ft 81/4 in at age 15 yrs 8 months in 1958
(according to my trusty old Archie's LIttle Black Book


According to Wikipedia Reynaldo Brown jumped 7'3 in 1968. It doesn't give the exact date but Brown was born Dec 6, 1950 so there's a good chance he was still under 18.
noone
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Calgary, Alta.

Re: Re:

Postby dj » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:44 pm

noone wrote:
jhc68 wrote:Faust was a sensational prodigy back in the day:
7 ft at age 17 yrs 9 months in 1960
6 ft 81/4 in at age 15 yrs 8 months in 1958
(according to my trusty old Archie's LIttle Black Book


According to Wikipedia Reynaldo Brown jumped 7'3 in 1968. It doesn't give the exact date but Brown was born Dec 6, 1950 so there's a good chance he was still under 18.


Brown's 7-3 was mid-September '68 at the US Olympic Trials. So yes, he was 17 at the time.
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: High Jump History: Book on Straddling (by Geoff Nelson?)

Postby jhc68 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Rey Brown was one of the great HJ prodigies of all-time. The 7-3 mark at the trials and the =5th place at the OGs all came before he started his senior year at Compton HS.
And the 7-3 was only 2 and 3/4 inches off Brumel's WR (about = to an 11th grader jumping 7-10 today.)
I'm thinking (but too lazy to look-up) that the 7-3 may also have been = 3rd best all-time performer in 1968. Had anyone aside from Brumel and Thomas exceeded 7-3 in 1968?
Here is a nice article @ Brown: http://masterstrack.com/2009/12/2163/
jhc68
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: High Jump History: Book on Straddling (by Geoff Nelson?)

Postby Per Andersen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 pm

jhc68 wrote:I'm thinking (but too lazy to look-up) that the 7-3 may also have been = 3rd best all-time performer in 1968. Had anyone aside from Brumel and Thomas exceeded 7-3 in 1968?
Here is a nice article @ Brown: http://masterstrack.com/2009/12/2163/

If you mean the entire 1968 then there is your teammate Ed Caruthers 2.22 in the Olympics.
There were others who had jumped 2.21 in 1968 before Reynaldo Brown did it, Skvortsov for instance.
But by the time in '68 when Brown jumped 2.21, only Ni Chih-Chin (2.27) + Brumel and Thomas had exceeded 2.21.
Per Andersen
 
Posts: 3736
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: High Jump History: Book on Straddling (by Geoff Nelson?)

Postby bambam » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:49 pm

jhc68 wrote:Here is a nice article @ Brown: http://masterstrack.com/2009/12/2163/


It is a nice, nice story on Rey Brown. Thanx for sharing it with us
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: High Jump History: Book on Straddling (by Geoff Nelson?)

Postby EastBayprepoftheweek67 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Per Andersen wrote:
jhc68 wrote:I'm thinking (but too lazy to look-up) that the 7-3 may also have been = 3rd best all-time performer in 1968. Had anyone aside from Brumel and Thomas exceeded 7-3 in 1968?
Here is a nice article @ Brown: http://masterstrack.com/2009/12/2163/

If you mean the entire 1968 then there is your teammate Ed Caruthers 2.22 in the Olympics.
There were others who had jumped 2.21 in 1968 before Reynaldo Brown did it, Skvortsov for instance.
But by the time in '68 when Brown jumped 2.21, only Ni Chih-Chin (2.27) + Brumel and Thomas had exceeded 2.21.

Clarence Johnson, Cal, exceeded 7' 3" in 1967 by 1/4 inch, but I don't know if that is a metric 2.21 or 2.20.
EastBayprepoftheweek67
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: High Jump History: Book on Straddling (by Geoff Nelson?)

Postby gh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:28 am

jhc68 wrote:So far as I know the book is not available.
I've never met Geoff Nelson (the author)in person but I still get the occasional email from him. I believe the book is done but there are major issues with copyrights for the photos and $$ to self-publish.
Some posters here, including mrbowie and marco have contacted Geoff to help out but I don't believe the book is much closer to publication. Too bad, I'd love to have a copy and Geoff Nelson seems like a really knowledgeable good guy.


This is a somewhat self-serving suggestion (as it would benefit us), but in this day and age, "publishing" is cheap, because electrons are free. We'd be quite happy to publish the book on the site here, although that doesn't help with any copyright issues.
gh
 
Posts: 46321
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests