Springbank International Road Races

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Springbank International Road Races

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:53 pm

I am a student at the University of Western Ontario doing research on the history of the Springbank International Road Races that took (still do take) place in London, Ontario, Canada. In it's heyday, this event saw ALL the top road runners compete: Frank Shorter, Bill Rodgers (I've heard he claimed his best race ever was at this event), Jerome Drayton, Ron Hill, etc.
I'm looking for articles written on the event, pictures, and also contacts with people who were involved in these events. I'll be able to get lots of old race programs, photos, and locally written newspaper articles from the events, but I was hoping that some of you who post on this board can offer some recollections from having been at this event.
I'd also be interested (long-shot) in trying to get in touch with some of the athletes, like Shorter, Rodgers, etc, to get a personal account of the events.

Re: Springbank International Road Races

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:58 pm

The best I can do is a Google search:

http://www.geocities.com/canadianroadrace/main.htm

Just the first link I came to; many more appear.

Good Luck

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:18 pm

If you have not already contacted him, I would suggest you contact fellow alumni Dave Prokop. It may be possible to contact him through Joe Henderson or the UWO alumni office. If you do contact Dave, please mention that I would like to contact him too. It has been a lot of years.

Orville

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:03 am

Thanks for the link, though I was looking for older 'historical' material that most likely is not online. I was at the event in 2002 that you linked to, and already know the race director and others involved.

I am searching for Prokop. Vigars mentioned that he founded the event, and so would be an ideal person to contact. I will mention that you'd like to contact him, Orville.

The key thing would be to find some athletes involved in the events. I'm told finding Drayton would be "like getting an audience with the Pope," as he is quite the recluse, but guys like Shorter and Rodgers seem to be very active in the community; perhaps someone can pass my e-mail and request on to them and let them decide if they'd like to contact me.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:14 am

Steve, Maybe Paul Poce can be of help. I will drop a note to Joe Henderson about Prokop.
Orville