Worst athlete to win Olympic Gold?

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Re: Worst athlete to win Olympic Gold?

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:37 pm

i want ur wet pussy

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:35 am

<Al Joyner.
He was a bigger surprise than Beamon.>

To all those denigrating Beamon's winning the 1968 LJ gold (not the 8.90 m jump). Have you bothered to look over Beamon's record in all 1968 competitions? Undefeated against the best, competing under very difficult circumstances. (Kicked off the UTEP team for refusing to comete against BYU).

As for those shocked out of their minds by the 29 feet 2 and a half inch jump. Everyone agrees that it was (a) considerably aided by the altitude and (b) aided by a following wind over the legal limit. Did anyone note Charlie Mays' narrow foul on a jump estimated over 28 feet? The rest of the competitors were shell-shocked by Beamon's opener. I for one, believe that in 1968 Beamon could have cleared 28 feet at or close to sea-level, given the right set of circumstances.

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:07 pm

ajax, I agree with your shell shocked comment.

And I believe the LJ was before the 3J, so no one really had a true handle on how much the altitude helped yet.
If Beamon had led off and ripped a WR of, say, 27' 8", rather than a 29'2", I think that before the competition ended there would have been one, maybe two, over 28', and maybe 3 or more over the old WR of 27'4 3/4". It would have been a similar competition to the 3J. I can see a Boston winner of 28'6, with Beamon, Mays, and Ter O all over 28 or close to to it.
Just goes to show it takes mental preparation as well as physical. As they all said, they were mentally FRIED after the 29'2", Beamon himself included. Thanks for screwing up a great competition, Bob !!!
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:27 pm

In 2000, Million Wolde ranked #7 in the 5000.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:30 pm

<And I believe the LJ was before the 3J, so no one really had a true handle on how much the altitude helped yet.
If Beamon had led off and ripped a WR of, say, 27' 8", rather than a 29'2", I think that before the competition ended there would have been one, maybe two, over 28', and maybe 3 or more over the old WR of 27'4 3/4". It would have been a similar competition to the 3J. I can see a Boston winner of 28'6, with Beamon, Mays, and Ter O all over 28 or close to to it.
Just goes to show it takes mental preparation as well as physical. As they all said, they were mentally FRIED after the 29'2", Beamon himself included. Thanks for screwing up a great competition, Bob !!!>

Steve, the only pertinent source I have (at work!) is Quercetani's recent book. Looking through that, it looks like:
TJ Prelims. 10/16/68. Gentile sets world record on only jump - quite a surprise.
TJ Finals. 10/17/68. Four world records, one by Gentile, two by Saneyev, one by Prudencio.
LJ Prelims. 10/17/68. Beamon's shocking qualifier at 8.19 after taking off about 30 cm behind "the line".

Your basic point is correct, that the LJ competitors, really did not appreciate what the altitude could do. But as quoted by Quercetani (and earlier by T&FN), Boston knew the undisciplined and "out-of-this-world" talent of Beamon. He said, "I'm always nervous when Beamon goes down the runway, because I know that some day he might put all his great talent together in one big jump". A 26'10" qualifier after a "slow" run down the runway, and taking off 1' behind the line, was sufficient warning to everyone as to what could come to pass. Instead of taking Beamon to task for "spoiling" the competition, I take my hat off to him, for the single most astounding performance in my almost 50 years of following the sport. What a shame he did not have the mental strength to deal with the pressure of "fame". Some 28'+ jumps as back up in say 1969/70, would have been most welcome to the true track fan.

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:42 pm

ajax, I truly was being facetious about him "spoiling " the competition.

And since they all knew what was going on in the 3J( thanks for the sched. info, I was wrong on that) , they should have not gotten mentally fried the way they did. (easy for me to say sitting in an office 35 years later, I know. )

But do you agree that if he had jumped 27'8" instead of 29'2", it all would have worked out completely differently ?
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:01 pm

<But do you agree that if he had jumped 27'8" instead of 29'2", it all would have worked out completely differently ?>

Tough to say. I believe Boston was not at his best in 1968, and Ter-O was also probably past his best. Given the win-loss record between Boston and Beamon in 1968 (0-6, I believe), I think Beman was due to win the LJ. At 27'8", 28'4", or 29'2" can't say. But what a moment in 1968, and followed up a few minutes later by the great new 400 m WR as Evans edged out James in "uncharacteristic" fashion, leading most of the way, instead of playing catch up as usual.

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:27 pm

thanks ajax, and I'll conclude our little one on one colloquy by agreeing that Ralph and Igor were indeed on the downslope and that Beamon was the best, and would have won even without that opening whopper.

And you are right, it was just one heck of a great tract and field meet !!! Top to bottom, all events save maybe the SP which was, relatively speaking, ho-hum.
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:45 pm

<thanks ajax, and I'll conclude our little one on one colloquy by agreeing that Ralph and Igor were indeed on the downslope and that Beamon was the best, and would have won even without that opening whopper.
And you are right, it was just one heck of a great tract and field meet !!! Top to bottom, all events save maybe the SP which was, relatively speaking, ho-hum. >

More than welcome, Steve, and what a pleasure to discuss matters, without any name-calling or invective. As a relatively young man then, I agree with you that the 1968 Olys stands out in my mind. Only other one, I would have loved to attend, the 1952 Olys. To see Kohlemainen carry the torch, as well as Nurmi. And then finally to see and hear the knowledgable Finnish fans (raised on appreciation of long distance runners), respond to the great Emil Zatopek's three victories - especially the marathon.

Postby Friar » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:48 pm

The Kenyan from Mt. St.Mary's? who won the 1500 in Seoul [who's name escapes me] ran a nice tactical race I guess but he was never really heard from again. He stunk and the race was a huge disapointment.
Friar

Postby Arnie » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:30 pm

Lindy Remigino 1952 100M. All the top sprinters either were injured or chose not to run the 100.
Arnie

Postby Per Andersen » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:49 pm

<Lindy Remigino in 1952.
You are right about Stanfield not running and Art Bragg injured but Mcdonald Bailey, Dean Smith and McKenley were among the leading sprinters of that time.
Remigino was no superstar but he was ranked number 1 in '52 and that's not bad.
Per Andersen

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:12 pm

>The Kenyan from Mt. St.Mary's? who won the
>the 1500 in Seoul [who's name escapes me] ran a
>nice tactical race I guess but he was never
>really heard from again. He stunk and the race
>was a huge disapointment.

Peter Rono. Incredibly lucky fella. Cram was injured after having won the Dream Mile against a top field weeks earlier. Peter Elliot, a 1:42, 3:29 man, injured. Abdi Bile, the 87 World Champ, injured. Said Aouita, injured. The four top men in the race - running injured or out with injuries. Rono can always wave his gold medal, but he won a stinky race against an injury riddled field.

Postby Arnie » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:16 pm

Jim Golliday was also injured in 1952 and didn't run in the trails, probably was the favorite.As far as being ranked #1 the Olympic champ usually is.
Arnie

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:20 am

Beamon? Ralph Boston - the favorite - was on record saying he feared BB more than anyone. And yes, he was a 27'-er.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:36 pm

Worst...Best...
This is a non-sense, just because, the glorious
uncertainty of sports belongs to the beauty of
the Olympics, especially of track, its sport
number one.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:21 pm

Florence Griffith-Joyner

Postby DentyCracker » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:00 pm

ROFL
DentyCracker

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:17 am

I won't say worst athlete, because no one is a bad athlete when you get to that level. I will say "one hit wonder".

Paul Ereng, 800m. I remember this race, because Charlie Jones, a very good broadcaster in my opinion, thought he was Nixon Kipotich. Jones greaciously, in his baritone vioce, apologized, "Oh, my, that is Paul Ereng".

Did Jones get the wrong list of names from the producers?

Postby Powell » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:11 am

I wouldn't really call Ereng a one-hit wonder. He did come out of nowhere in 1988, but his career didn't end there. His win in the World Indoors in 1989 in a WR time was a classic, he won another World Indoor title in 1991, was 4th in the World Champs in 1991, and ranked 1st in the world in 89 and 4th in 91. Perhaps not enough to warrant a place in the 'all-time greatest 800 meter runner' thread, but a solid career record nonetheless.
Powell

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:59 am

I believe Charlie Jones got him mixed up with another Kenyan that was also in the final.
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:12 pm

>I believe Charlie Jones got him mixed up with
>another Kenyan that was also in the final.

Steve wouldn't know Charlie Jones from Lou Jones.

Previous