Why Was Seb Coe Not At His Best In '85?

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Why Was Seb Coe Not At His Best In '85?

Postby Piglet » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:43 pm

?
Piglet

Re: Why Was Seb Coe Not At His Best In '85?

Postby Pierre-Jean » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:43 am

Coe ran faster times at 800/1500/Mile in 1985 than in the 3 previous years 1982-83-84...

The answer is surely because of one of the numerous health problems he had during his career, maybe someone can give more details for the specific 85 year?
Pierre-Jean

Postby The King » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:31 am

>Coe ran faster times at 800/1500/Mile in 1985
>than in the 3 previous years 1982-83-84...

The
>answer is surely because of one of the numerous
>health problems he had during his career, maybe
>someone can give more details for the specific 85
>year?

You're right. Sebastian Coe did have some have numerous health problems during his career.

What were those problems by the way Pierrejean, or anyone else who knows?

Thankyou
The King

Postby gh » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:46 am

I think you need look no farther than the ebb and flow of important meets, and Coe was always a decent team man. In '84 he was an Olympic god (again) and in '86 he was looking forward to having to do a tough Commonwealth/European double. Only logical that '85--without a major competition on the docket--would be a year he'd cut back a little.

'82 and '83, as I recall, were the years where the toxoplaxmosis really beat the crap out of him.
gh

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:24 am

I was privileged to have been able to attend a conference in November of 1983 in NJ sponsored by Converse featuring Arthur Lydiard and Peter and Seb Coe. Only about 25 people showed up. All of the speakers abandoned their usual presentations and fielded questions from the audience, who were all true track aficionados. It was interesting because Lydiard's and Coe's approaches were more similar than different. Coe didn't do as much mileage during his base training but he did do a lot. Instead of hills he did a lot of plyometrics. Lydiard's hill phase is not just running up hills, but doing leaps and bounds which are plyometrics in themselves. At the end Coe was asked about his prospects in the coming Olympics. He said that he had just started training, and that he didn't know if he could make it back as he had been pretty sick. Seven months later from my seat in the Olympic stadium in LA, I was pleased to watch this modest young man defend his title and point to the British press that they had been wrong to criticize the British Olympic Committee for allowing him to run the 1500.