What happened to the standing jumps?

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Re: What happened to the standing jumps?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:46 am

"The power of the press belongs to he who owns the press" (or something like that)

Postby gh » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:21 am

>Hey, there's no need to be such a control freak>>

Funny, that's what my ex-wives said; look what it got them!
gh

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:57 am

At least Powell and Kuha were lucky they didn't cross Ben Hall, like Krizler did in the Flojo thread. They got a cold-medication slap while the other guy got a steroid bust! (See, you can turn any thread into a drug-related one if you try hard enough)

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:31 am

My history books tell me that Jim Thorpe was almost unbeatable in the standing jumps. Although he did not compete in them in meets he whipped the best in the USA at the practice track like it was not even an effort for him. Don't know if it is true but given his talent I'd have to think it was possible.

Legend has it that while checking into a hotel before the Olympics many of the USA T&F athletes were standing around and the High Jumpers started a competition to see if anyone could touch the chandelier from a standing position. The hurdlers and a few other joined in and the closest anyone got was about 4-6" below it. Jim walked up asked what they were doing and said it didn't look that hard and in his street clothes jumped up and hit it, almost knocking it off the ceiling.

Again I have no way to verify this as fact but it's one heck of a legend about a man who was legendary.