Most Uplifting or Emotional Moment/Athltcs

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Most Uplifting or Emotional Moment/Athltcs

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:28 pm

I wasn't as moved by Derek Redmond's dad coming out on the track to assist him at Barcelona in 1992 (I guess because the story hadn't built up as long)as I was when Ana Fidelia Quirot raced in the 400 in Atlanta after being bedridden with third degree burns. Closest I've come to crying in a long time.

Marathoners finishing while racked with pain is inspiring, but we tend not to know them as we felt we did following Quirot's ordeal, and there isn't the element of highs and lows.

If Devers makes the 110 hurdle final in Athens, many of us will be behind her because of her battles and her "hit hurdle".

Bijan

Re: Most Uplifting or Emotional Moment/Athltcs

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:59 pm

I believe Quirot competed in the 800 at Atlanta and the women's sprint hurdles are 100 meters. But, yes, these are emotional moments. My most emotional personal moment was when recent high school graduate and unsung Gerry Lindgren easily out ran the Russians in the 10,000m in 1964 USA Vs. USSR dual in the L.A. Coliseum.

Postby Vince » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:36 pm

The 1982 Ironman Triathlon in Hawaii when leader Julie Moss "hits the wall",collapses, and crawls over the finish line to lose by 29 seconds to Kathleen McCarthney.

That was a jaw dropper.
Vince

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:47 pm

Redmond&Dad get my vote - I had to leave the room because I got too choked up to even talk with friends around the tv set... Mills' last lap at Tokyo. Quirot winning at Goteborg. Garry Bjorklund making '76 Oly team after losing shoe halfway thru 10K (left bloody footprints on Eugene track). Bert Cameron limping to qualify in '84 Oly semi. Seeing 19.32 on trackside clock (though assuming it malfunctioned). Ben Johnson's 9.83 and 9.79 (..before the bad news)

Postby Powell » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:09 pm

>I believe Quirot competed in the 800 at Atlanta

She did. And, in fact, her come-back after the fire accident took place one year earlier - she won the world title in 1995.
Powell

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:46 am

one more.. though none of us saw it, unless we were there - '68 Oly decathlon - besides Bill Toomey making pv clearance after 2 opening misses,.. Kurt Bendlin's javelin throw - had an injured elbow, and needed a big one to make up points on Toomey - gave it everything, snapped tendon, doubled over in pain, but got a 247'5 to put him back in contention. (1500 didn't go so well, though). Should be a cliche - "I'm just gonna have to Bendlin this..."

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:21 am

How about Bob Beamon's after he realized just how far he long jumped. Nowadays, we would certain athletes would have ripped off their shirts and flexed their muscles or they would have shown the latest dance floor moves.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:21 am

How about Bob Beamon's reaction after he realized just how far he long jumped. Nowadays, certain athletes would have ripped off their shirts and flexed their muscles or they would have shown the latest dance floor moves. But Beamon expressed real joy and didn't show up the other competitors.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:28 pm

Watching my best friend on my HS team set a 7-foot PR on his final throw at the state championship DT -- which took him from sixth to first. Those last five throwers took FOREVER!

Postby waynehobley » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:52 pm

I like when Gail won the 100 at Barcelona in 1992 after her battle with Graves Disease. Also when Flo-Jo's husband came out to the track after she won her 100 meter Championship title and picked her up. The picture is priceless.
waynehobley

Postby Tvarish » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:55 pm

John Stephen Akwari - 1968 Marathon - Tanzania
Tvarish

Postby waynehobley » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:08 pm

Evelyn Ashford after she beat Gohr for the world record in Zurich.
waynehobley

Postby Dennis » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:15 am

This will date me but how about John Landy in the 1956 Australian Mile championships when he stopped to assist the fallen Ron Clarke then caught the field and won with a blistering kick?
Dennis

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:07 am

I was moved by Jackie Joyner-Kersee and Bob Kersee first after she pulled up in the opening event of the Heptathlon in th e96 Olympic Games and he carried her off, then later in the week when she came back and won a bronze medal in the long-jump. Considering the number of gold medals she's won in WC's and OG's over the years, it was as if she appreciated that bronze more than anything.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:16 pm

Glued to my set for 2+ hours watching Joanie smoke the field in the 1984 Olympic Games marathon after her injury woes of the previous months.

Postby waynehobley » Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:07 pm

When Sanya Richards got the baton at the WCs this year and some were expecting the fast closing Jamaican and Russian to catch her but she held on and raised the baton with a big smile in the end.
waynehobley

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:59 pm

"If Devers makes the 110 hurdle final in Athens, many of us will be behind her because of her battles and her "hit hurdle"."

I would be very surprised if Devers made the finals in the 110 hurdles at Athens, THAT WOULD BE QUITE THE STORY, AND I WOULD BE VERY IMPRESSED!!!!

I wouldn't be so surprised though if Devers made the finals in the 100 hurdles at Athens. :)

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:17 pm

I would say Abebe BIKILA's so symbolical race
at the marathon of Roma in 1960.
Unfortunately not born yet to watch the Legend.
Viva BIKILA!!!

Postby waynehobley » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:48 pm

Almost forgot when Cathy Freeman was in 3rd place coming to the homestretch and the crowd was loud already but when she passed up the 2 women in front and the staium just erupted when she crossed the finish line.
waynehobley