Greatest Track/Sports Thrills as a Competitor !

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:34 pm

Here's a good one for all us wonks to gab about it bored....

List your 5 greatest athletic thrills as a competitor, hopefully including T&F. As an imaginary example:

1. clearing 16' for the first time
2. my first Little League home run
3. running Chicago Marathon
4. winning sectional high school PV championship on my last jump
5. setting school record in PV at Purdue

A friend of mine and had a lot of fun with this, and I thought it would be fun to see people share the "thrills of their youth." Any takers ?
6 5.5hjsteve

Re: Greatest Track/Sports Thrills as a Competitor !

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:16 pm

Feeling horrible in my first cross country race, thinking with each step I couldn't continue, and continually passing a lot of guys until I ended up finishing fourth out of about 40 guys. Sure, they weren't that great, neither was I. But it taught me a lot, and there's nothing like the feeling of running by a competitor who's giving it his all.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:20 pm

The first time I broke 12 flat in the 100 yard dash. Tha was actually majo, because I come from atrack family and my Parents, my brother and three sisters were excellent in their events. But through 8th grade, I was like the number 8 sprinter on the B squad and I could barely break 13 flat (my PR then was 12.7). The cinder dust that flew in my facewas rather bad for my allergies. My family moved before my 9th grade year and when track season rolled around, low and behold, the first meet of the season was against my old school & 2 other schools. I was slated to run the 100 yard dash. The day before the meet, I went to our assistant coach and tried to talk my way out of running the 100, but he said, "you're one of our fastest runners and we really need you. So I went through with it. I only got fifth place, but my time was a scintillating 11.2 seconds. I had chopped 1.5 seconds off of my PR and what put the icing on the cake, was when the announcer called off the results of the 9th grade boys 100 yard dash and called my name out. Up to that point I had already witnessed world-class runners in action, but to me, it was a thrill to be acknowledged. That's my great track accomplishment.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:26 pm

Hey, I wish I could say it was the time I beat Peter Snell and and set a US mile record of 3:55.3 back in '65, but I can't--it wasn't me! Perhaps it was improving my HJ best all the way from 5'4" to 5'8" in a meet as a sophomore in 1968 (and landing on a HARD mound of weedy dirt--no foam pads then, I distinctly remember).

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:27 pm

ok, since I started this and at least 1 person has responded, here's mine but they are all pretty pathetic:

1. 1965: beating Tom Clark from North Carolina,who was best jumper in ACC and undefeated within the ACC for 2 years, in Duke-UNC dual meet, in Duke SR of 6'5 1/8" on fewer misses. He had a bad day and I had a PR !

2.also 1965: a week earlier, breaking old school record with a 6"5".

3.1987: running NY Marathon, my one and only, in a swift 3:50.

4. 1961: breaking old Huntington HS ( NY ) SR
with a stratospheric 5' 10 3/4".

5. 1962: breaking the "six foot barrier" for the first time as a college frosh.

As Dean Martin said, " Memories Are Made Of This."
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:35 pm

not that anyone in the world cares except me, but I got my years wrong up above. The first two were in 1964, not 1965.
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:38 am

Well, this pales in comparison to the previous posts, but it was asked.

Running third leg on an undefeated 7th grade 4 x 100 shuttle relay team until our conference banned it.

The first track team meeting of that year,when our coach Brooks Johnson said "I know we can get points in the field events...Bayne can jump out of the building..."

Practicing relays in our high school corridor in 11th grade, and running a dead heat leg with the city's best long jumper, who was a senior.

Pathetic, but I didn't fill out physically until 25-26.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:57 am

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person with very average accomplishments.

1) The first race I ever won. I was a terrible runner when I started, but the new coach we got my junior year (HS) believed I could be halfway decent. I took the lead in a dual meet 2-mile with three laps to go and with 800m left realized no one could catch me. I have never felt so light on my feet.

2) The day my name was listed on the travel roster to the All-Ohio collegiate cross country championships. I beat kids that were high school state champs to make that squad. I still have that piece of paper.

3) The moment I turned the corner and had one block to go to qualify for the Boston Marathon. A year earlier I couldn't go 8 miles without stopping.

4) Carrying the state championship trophy around the Ohio Stadium track with my teammates. This one's a little hollow since I didn't run at the meet, but it's something that I'll never forget.

Postby jhc68 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:15 pm

1) Winning the Orange League B high jump in 9th grade with a 4 inch PR. I kept competing for 7 more years but as far as emotional thrills go, I could have stopped right there.
2) PR and school record at the old West Coast Relays in Fresno. The field of vision for jumpers was a grandstand full of people behind the bar, Randy Matson was throwing life-threateningly close by and the great SJ State "speed city" relay teams were on the track. I thought I was really cool until I lost on misses and got a 2nd place tie clip instead of a first place wristwatch... oh, well, I still wear the thing to work!
3) First 6'6" clearance... at an all-comers at Santa Ana City College. I'd been stuck jumping 6'4" forever and trying way too hard to improve. I happened on the meet by chance after having downed several beers one afternoon... I was a bit overweight but carefree and 6'6" seemed like the easiest thing in the world!
jhc68

Postby Arnie » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:35 pm

Being the third leg on my 440yd relay team that won the Brooklyn N.Y championship in 1949, and i was the guy that gave them the lead, we also set a meet record.
Arnie

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:03 pm

'65 NY state meet, Ithaca - was 5th in LJ with 1 jump left, see my brother in stands(drove from Providence), run over,get a swig of Coke,go back out and PR on last jump to place 2nd. First ever state placer from my HS.(as read in Monday morning homeroom bulletin ..by a girl I had hots for. Great t&f moment) b) finding out I'd won national masters HJ('83), when I thought all the guys around HJ area were waiting to take their first jumps.. (in masters field events,it sometimes just depends on who shows up)

Postby HitTheTrails » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:28 am

1. Winning a varsity high-school cross-country race. (Just a duel meet, and the only reason I won was because the County meet was the next morning and our coach left our top 5 runners at home to rest. I was normally our 6th man, so I ended up being our top runner by default. We still placed 8 guys in front of their first runner. Yes, a hollow victory, but it was indeed thrilling to win a race. A win is a win.)

2. Running/walking (not too swiftly at 4:14) the New York City Marathon at age 13 in 1982. (I had to lie about my age to get in - they thought I was 16.)

3. Running the Indianapolis Marathon in 1998 in 3:04:57 and qualifying for Boston. (It wasn't thrilling at the time as I was sobbing with pain and the disappointment of not breaking 3 hours, but I look back on it as my best race ever.) I blew up at Boston and crawled in at 4:04 (see #5).

4. Running a 1:23:58 in the Georgetown to Idaho Springs (Colorado) Half Marathon in 1998.

5. "Running" (I'm stretching the meaning of that verb) the Boston Marathon in 1999 (just being there was special).
HitTheTrails

Postby ndamix » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:25 am

My winning the high school district title in the 300 hurdles as a senior. I beat out the two guy who had been kicking my butt all season to make state's. Unfortunately, I didn't make the finals.

My junior year in high school, being part of the winning 4 x 100 relay team that set a conference record on our home track (in front of 500 screaming fans). The time we ran put us among the ten top fastest teams in the state that year.

Winning a 200m 5th place medal at the Carmel Classic after coming back from running the 400m.

Setting my 400m PR of 48.1 (finishing fourth in the race).

Running a 200m race against prep sensation Clinton Davis in the 200. I always said when the gun sounded he was crossing the finish line while the rest of us were coming outta the blocks (I think I finished 5th or 6th).
ndamix

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:27 pm

1. I won ONE XC race my Sr yr in HS - the CIF-SS large school champs
2. 3 months no training ... 60 days training = 2nd place NCAA XC College Div. Missed by 12 sec or so. Dang
3. Arrive 5 minutes before 10k on beach - jump in to run. In the zone - win by 90 sec vs some 'recognizable names'. time - doubt you would believe
4. First slam dunk in game
5. non-competitive - but a 23 m run/workout that told me "I was very much right there". In the zone again

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:19 am

Winning a 200m 5th place medal at the Carmel Classic after coming back from running the 400m.
Setting my 400m PR of 48.1 (finishing fourth in the race).

Hey ndamix:
I ran in the Carmel Classic in 1975 in the 14-15 age group 440 yard dash, and finished last in my heat , running a whopping 73 flat. In he event that you were in my heat or in that age group. Good race!

Postby waynehobley » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:56 am

Setting my PR in the 200 & 400 on the same day and winning the both. 21.93 and 48.67
waynehobley

Postby Cerutty Boy » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:29 am

As a high school senior I once ran the 1600 meters at a high school home meet. I had already ran the 4x800 and 800 meter races that day, so my coach told me to run only the first 800 meters of the mile, but no one else knew this. One other runner stayed with me for about 100 meters, before muttering something to the tune of "crazy bitch" and falling back. I passed through the first 400m in about 60 seconds; the sparse crowd and a number of athletes thought someone might hit 4 minutes for the mile at a duel meet. I approached 800 meters at about 2:00, and by then everyone was up and yelling. The look on their faces when I stepped off at the half was priceless.

I can still remember distictly how fresh I felt after those two laps, should have kept going. I think I probably could have run about 4:10 that day, if it weren't for my crazy coach. Anyway, it was a blast; those were the days...
Cerutty Boy

Postby BillCarr » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:51 pm

Wins, PR's, whatever, for me none of those compare to winning a good old-fashioned collegiate conference championship. The victory lap, the Gatorade on the coach, the giant smiles on everyone's faces, the bus (or plane) ride home . . . and lastly the sensation that no matter what happens, it won't change the fact for that moment in time your team, together, was the best.

2001 Ivy/Heps championships at Princeton. Nothing better than beating your rival in their house.
BillCarr

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:34 pm

During my freshman year in college, I had the opportunity to run against Kevin Young (World Record Holder - 400 meter hurdles) in a rare invitational 300 meter hurdle competition. The "record board" at the university I competed for had a 300 hurdle record (???) that was very poor(like 38.8). Because I had been one of the better high school hurdlers in the country a year before, they asked me to enter a special "invitational" 300 hurdle race at our next meet in order to erase the mediocre mark. I showed up to the meet only to realize that they had also invited 7 of the top ten intermediate hurdlers in the country. They put me in lane 3 and Kevin Young in lane 4. It was a thrill to be able to watch him blow my doors off. It felt like he was taking one step for my every two. This competition was like a basketball player having a chance to go one-on-one with Michael Jordan or a baseball player standing in the batter's box against Randy Johnson. It's an experience I'll never forget.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:19 am

Winning the Penn Relays and PRing at the same time.

Postby Alexander » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:58 am

Getting a second wind like never before in a low-key 10K cross-country run as a junior.
I beat the best guys in our district by almost 3 minutes. I´ll never know what happened. On that single day in the low-key xc-race I was faster than ever, breaking both my 3K, 5K and 10K PB´s in a hilly crosscountry race?
Full of confidence two weeks later in the county xc-championships I went to the front in the 5K, pushed the pace and....killed myself losing by almost a minute to those same guys!

Be sure I dug into my training diaries to find some answers, but that single race still stands as an incredible peak in an otherwise mediocre athletic career ;)
Alexander

Greatest T&F thrills as a Competitor/Coach

Postby bushop » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:08 pm

as an athlete ...
PB'ing and breaking our college's school record at the NCAA's as a senior.

as a coach ...
At our 1st outdoor meet (3rd meet) of the year with good weather ... 3 of my friends breaking a 30 year old school record in the Discus at the same meet ... then 1 of the guys broke my school record in the Shot with a 2'6" PB (beat the record by 2') at the same meet (his 1st throw then he threw no more thhat day).
bushop