Most Thrilling Anchor Leg Ever?

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Re: Most Thrilling Anchor Leg Ever?

Postby The King » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:18 pm

>"The King", I have to offer a correction to
>part of your statement about "44.6 relay leg
>when the world record in the 400m during the
>fifties was 46.8."

Not even close ! As long
>ago as 1932 it was 46.2, got down to 46.0 in
>1939, then 45.9 about 1950 or so. That's a
>looooong way from 46.8.

Sorry. Thankyou for correcting me.
I just have 46.8s stuck in my head for some reason.
I do not know any reason at all why I said 46.8s!

CRAZY!!!
The King

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:38 am

Michael Franks in 1985 World Cup 4X400
I am glad you remember that race...I had it on video and I watched it over and over to get me ready for races in High school. I even put Marty L's commentary on audio tape so I would listen to it on my Walkman at High school meets! I did not bring it to college when competed there but I wish I had..
I can still recite the commentary as best as I can

"oh my God...Armstead has been hit....he's been knocked off the track...the US is in some seriou trouble...Michael Franks can still run the race of his life and pull this one out for the US...He has Egbunike (sp?) and Schoenlebe(sp)ahead of him The current ruling is this...if the (Kirk) Baptiste protest is upheld and the disqualification is upheld..the US would have to finsih no lower than third (?) to win the team title...and here comes Franks!...what an effort! dive Michael...Dive!..HE GOT IT! The African looked around (Marty Liquori's voice cracks)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:53 am

No King you are the aren't the only one who would have used MJ on the 4x100. He would have been my 3rd leg everytime a 4x100 was run. The guy from a running start was the best curve runner ever. His pr in the 100 was 10.09, but we all know that he could faster than that. He ran 10.12 in the first 100 out of the blocks in the 200 final in Atlanta in 96'. So we know that he could go sub 10.00 in the right race. MJ's 42.94 in 19.93 was the best 4x400 I've ever seen. J.J. Johnson's anchor recebtly in Paris was very impressive, especially since it was against Dwain Chambers.

Postby ndamix » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:31 pm

You can't count out Renaldo Nehemiah's 4 X 4 anchor leg at the 1979 Penn Relays. When Nehemiah got the baton, Maryland was way behind the leader (Anthony Blair of Tennessee and Tim Dale of Villanova).

Nehemiah made his move down the backstretch to get into contention. Then as they were moving towards home, Nehemiah did something that still has folks talking about to this day, he raised is index finger and plowed past Blair and Dale like they were standing still.

Although his split was 44.3 (or 44.2...can't remember which), the race was all the more remarkable because it occurred on a rainy, cold Saturday. Also, you got to remember he ran a sub-20 split on the 4 x 2 earlier that day.
ndamix

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:37 am

Michael Johnson anchoring Baylor's 4 x 4 unit in the 4 x 4 heats at the 1990 NCAAs in Durham, NC.

I remember sitting in the stands at that race and watching Michael take off and catching everyone with 200m to go. By the time he hit the homestraight, he was way ahead of everyone. When he started to shutdown, everyone in the stands figured it was to conserve his energy for his remaining races to come.

I remember looking at my stopwatch (to capture his split) and asking someone next to me what time they had for MJ (cause I couldn't believe what my watch had captured). The person next to me said, "43.5" and shook his watch to make sure it was right. That time matched the one on my watch.

What was so amazing was that in my section of the stands, all you heard was 43.5 from everyone there; but no one wanted to believe it was possible. Imagine everyone's shock when the time was announced.

Talk about a thriller. It wasn't so much a thriller, but a stunner.

Muir & McCullough

Postby BillCarr » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:52 am

correct if I'm wrong, but I believe it was the elder McCullough (Shaheed) that "limped" the 49 in the final, giving the Jamaican schools (Camperdown) the lead and putting the crowd in a total frenzy because they actually thought Obea was going to get the anchor behind. Then the younger McCullough (Sultan) blitzed a 45.9 and passed everyone back.

This resulted in a very ho-hum 45.1 from Moore, impressive time-wise but not particulary "thrilling" because he led wire to wire. If Shaheed hadn't injured himself the HS 4x400 record was toast (and as it was, with the injury, it was almost toast).
BillCarr

Re: Muir & McCullough

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:27 am

Another great comeback was in the 1977 Tom Black Track Classic at the University of Tennesee in 1977. It was Edwin Moses' senior year at Morehouse State and his 4x440 yard relay team ran in one of the slower heats.
Anyway his team was in 6th place and trailed the leaders by at least 25 yards when he took the baton for the anchor leg. Moses picked off runner after runner. When he hit the 280 yard mark, he was in 2nd place 10 yards behind, and he hit another gear caught the runner at the 360 mark and won by 5 yards! The announcer moments later said." his split was 45.2. That had to have been the fastest 45.2 I've ever seen. It seemed more like a 44.2.

Postby Kevin_Richardson » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:36 pm

I agree with Steve on this one. Ray Armistead's handoff was fumbled and dropped to the track. From my own, rather unscientific analysis of the videotape I made of the race, Franks ran somewhere under 43 seconds for his leg.
Kevin_Richardson

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:25 am

>I log my entry for Derek Mills in the 1992 NCAA
>in Austin. Hammering past Baylor's Deon Minor
>and Ohio State's Chris Nelloms while holding off
>USC's Quincy Watts to anchor the second fastest
>collegiate time ever (4 or 5 100ths off the best)
>and become one of only two collegiage teams ever
>to fun under 3 minutes.

I remember 1993 Penn Relays. Ohio State v. Georgia Tech. Buckeyes had Robert Smith (Minnesota Vikings), Butler Bi'Note (Buckeye FB) and Chris Nelloms. Mills of GT gets the baton on the anchor, walks Nelloms down on the backstretch and dusts him coming home.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:35 am

The few times I've been to the Penn Relays have produced the most exciting relay legs I've seen in general. One that wasn't an anchor, but was amazing was in 1983 I believe when Arkansas' 400 runner, Roddie Haley, ran mid 43 on the DMR, and 4 seconds faster than anyone else. It's probably the only time that the 400 runner won the DMR for his team.

For non-Penn Relays, 2 mile relay anchors in the Washington state HS champs stand out, both by Keith Tinner of Lincoln. He was the best ever Northwest 400 runner before Darrell Robinson.

In 1973, Tinner pulled his hamstring during the meet, but Lincoln needed to win the mile relay to win the team title. He got the baton in about 3rd place and took off after the leading team, Clover Park I think. But his wrap came undone in the first turn and he had to hold the wrap in one hand and the baton in the other. He still ran down the other team's anchor.

In 1974, his team gave him the baton a good 20-30 meter down. He just erupted on the backstretch and blew by the other teams to cruise in on the homestretch. The distance he made up in such a short period, and then not to face was amazing.

Tinner went on to run on the UW's NCAA winning 4x400 team.

Postby 6 5.5hjsteve » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:44 am

and it's stories like this that make our sport so much fun, more so than the Elites and all the associated problems/suspicions/accusations.
6 5.5hjsteve

Postby trackhead » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:01 am

http://www.thecgf.com/video/2002/wmv/day6.wmv

check out the 4x400m at the end of day six
great race
trackhead

Postby DentyCracker » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:14 pm

Of those I've seen live there is one that stands out. Not sure of the year but I remember at a relay carnival back home a certain Devon Morris who had represented Jamaica in Helsinki ran a brilliant anchor leg in the Invitational intercollegiate 4x400, only to be run down by some unknown US collegiate athlete running for Baylor. Everyone in the stadium was astounded. Of course now that we know what that fellow has gone on to achieve, it isn't surprising. Back then no one knew who Michael Johnson was.
DentyCracker

Postby DentyCracker » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:05 pm

3:01.59 Baylor University 1 Kingston 05.05.1990

Frank Fredericks (46.9) 02.10.67 NAM
Todd Thompson (45.6) USA
Tony Miller (45.3) 12.02.71 USA
Michael Johnson (43.9) 13.09.67 USA

That was the race I was talking about. Didn't even realise Frankie was on that relay team as well. It was the Mutual Games if I recall correctly.
DentyCracker

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:26 pm

I don't remember the year...........but those that were in attendance will remember the thrilling dual between Dedy Cooper and James Lofton in the MR at the Stanford and San Jose State dual meet. Quite thrilling!!!

Postby michael lewis » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:21 am

For me the most thrilling anchor was the 4x4 in Seoul, Flojo vs 400 gold medallist Olga Bryzgina.
Flo just sat behind her round the first bend and through the backstretch and I just kept wondering when she was going to blow by her. It didn't happen but the splits were sizzling, 47.80 for Bryzgina and 48.08 for Flo and the times are still the 2 fastest team times ever.
michael lewis

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:30 pm

< 3.01.59 Baylor University - Kingston 05/05/1992
Frank Fredericks (46.9)
Todd Thompson (45.6)
Tony Miller (45.3)
Michael Johnson ( 43.9) >

Sorry guys !!! you have the wrong Baylor team. Having watched the race myself I remember Raymond Pierre on the third leg also running a sizzling leg. The real splits -

Todd Thompson (47.6)
Clinton Davis (45.7)
Raymond Pierre (43.6)
Michael Johnson (43.8)

3.00.66 (Track Record) Kingston,Jamaica

Postby gh » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:53 pm

Something very wrong about that whole 1990 claim, since Fredericks ran for BYU, not Baylor.

I would also note that the splits don't add up correctly to the final time.
gh

Postby BisonHurdler » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:34 pm

Yes, it's weird that Peter Larsson's site carries that.....it seems wrong.

Also, it's weird that it was posted as 1992, when it was 1990.
BisonHurdler

Postby BisonHurdler » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:35 pm

Nevermind, it seems Gary switched it to '92 when he quoted it:).
BisonHurdler

Postby DentyCracker » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:16 am

Caribbean Guy, you are correct. I remember their third leg was quite good as well.
DentyCracker

Postby The King » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:49 am

>Something very wrong about that whole 1990 claim,
>since Fredericks ran for BYU, not Baylor.

I
>would also note that the splits don't add up
>correctly to the final time.

On average splits for 4x4 relays are generally given to the nearest tenth of a second.
The King

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:30 pm

I remember 1993 Penn Relays. Ohio
>State v. Georgia Tech. Buckeyes had Robert Smith
>(Minnesota Vikings), Butler Bi'Note (Buckeye FB)
>and Chris Nelloms. Mills of GT gets the baton on
>the anchor, walks Nelloms down on the backstretch
>and dusts him coming home.

That was after Nelloms got shot. Now he is doing 40 years in the Ohio penal system for raping a 13 year old. What a waste. I had him in 44.5 on the 1988 anchor mentioned earlier when he was a sophmore in high school.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:17 pm

That was after Nelloms got shot. Now he is doing 40 years in the Ohio penal system for raping a 13 year old. What a waste.

He was found guilty of the crime, but we weren't there so we can't say what really transpired.

Do we really know how individuals are incarcerated and they are really nor guilty.

Peace

Postby gh » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:12 pm

>>On
>average splits for 4x4 relays are generally given
>to the nearest tenth of a second.>>

The 3:01.59 is thereby a 3:01.6. The splits add up to 3:01.7.
gh

Next