carlos or black faster on the turn at 200m

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

carlos or black faster on the turn at 200m

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:49 pm

here is food for thought nobody even thinks about,who would lead after the first 100m of a 200m sprint either in mexico city or munich if they would have met. carlos is a good turn runner with more speed than black,but black is a great turn runner.

Re: carlos or black faster on the turn at 200m

Postby Falken » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:32 pm

I just watched the films and my impressions are the following.

Carlos was lightning fast around the turn (then he fumbled in the straight when Smith came up and lost the silver)

In Munich Borzov actually led coming of the turn - sure; Black was in lane one - so I would give the nod to Carlos ....

F.
Falken

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:40 am

falken, check that borzov/black coming off the turn again, i have black with a slight lead. i do not have the tape of carlos leading the pack in 200m final. just parts of that race, do you know where i can get a copy ?

Postby Falken » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:10 am

It's an old tape and the angle isn't perfect but to me it looks as if Borzov leads.......
I could be wrong but ...

I''ve made the tape myself by using my VCR during televison "specials"....

Actually I'm working on a "world-history" of male sprinting , to be published in a few years.
I do have a few gaps concerning the US west-coast scene. Interested in helping out ?
I can send you a sample of my material.

F
Falken

Postby gh » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:14 am

From the story I wrote in T&FN at the time:

<<At the gun Black was off with his usual aplomb, rapidly eating up the consistetnly poor-starting Jellinghaus. But another four lanes out Borzov was also off exceptionally well. Coming off the curve so even that only the angle dictated a leader (those in some parts of the stadium said Borzov, while those in other said Black), the dynamic duo remained even until about 135m, whe Borzov began to creep away....>>
gh

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:28 am

I would have to agree with most, Carlos probably had better turnover than Black, but Black could eat up a curve. He seemed to lean slightly into it. Borzov capitalized on that , because when they hit the straightaway, it was obvious that Black had perhaps as much as a meter lead, but Borzov was shifting into another gear and Black may have paused slightly to get out of his lean so he could attack the straightaway. Bythe time he did Borzov was even and still accelerating. With Black's abiltiy as a quarter-miler it would seemed like he would close have on Borzov , but he couldn't make up an iota of ground.

Re: carlos or black faster on the turn at 200mIt

Postby Falken » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:33 am

It would REALLY have bin interesting to see what had happened had Black bin in lane 5 or 6 ....

F
Falken

Postby Per Andersen » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:07 pm

> It would REALLY have bin interesting to see what had happened had Black bin in lane 5 or 6...

It would not have mattered. Borzov was untouchable that year. He eased up in the last 10 meters and won by 2 meters in that race. Forget Black's, Robinson's or Hart's chances against him in '72. Borzov was the complete sprinter much like Morrow in '56,'57 and '58. But too bad Carlos went to the I.T.A. in '71.
Per Andersen

Postby Falken » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:44 pm

I quite agree. Borzov was not to beat that year, but maybe if Black had bin in lane 5 and run the curve one tenth faster he might have pushed Borzov below 20 ....

F.
Falken