Chinese Athletes and their drug usage

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Re: Chinese Athletes and their drug usage

Postby tafnut » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:33 pm

"Maybe [drugs] played a bigger role than we thought,'' said Dave Martin, chair of sports medicine for USA Track and Field and a physiology professor at Georgia State."

Nominated for the "Intuitive Grasp of the Obvious" award. y'think?
tafnut

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:48 pm

It makes you wonder why FINA caught all those swimmers and the IAAF missed them. Possibly the relative lack of cash in swimming?

The record book is riddled with drug-assisted marks. I'm pretty darn sure the women's marathon record is clean; after that, my confidence weakens.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:06 pm

It's all about money. The American sprinters are apparently protected by the US "Federation". The doped E. Africans are protected by location and governments that see winning as a national imperative, like the Chinese. I should add that the US and its sprinters and the E. Africans are also protected by an IAAF that has worked itself into a corner due to its inaction when it should have done something. Now, we see the occasional gotcha! Most people caught on drugs are by accident anyway, a doctor's screw up.

With Lagat turning up positive, I'm sure many Europeans are nodding their heads, or have had their eyes opened.