Sebastian Coe

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Sebastian Coe

Postby run4fun » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:36 am

I have always been a huge fan of Seb Coe. Does anyone know if he is still working in the British Parliament. I have his book "Running Free" and an old Sports Illustrated cover from him winning the 800 at the Moscow Olympics and would love to have them signed. Any suggestions?
run4fun

Re: Sebastian Coe

Postby Django » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:18 pm

May 6, 2004, will be the 50th anniversary of Roger Bannister's sub-4 minute mile, and there will probably be a banquet in honor of the occasion.
I was lucky enough to have attended the 40th anniversary banquet, and it was a great occasion, attended by every living world record holder in the mile run (except Steve Ovett) and also lots of other great runners, such as Ron Clarke.
If you're able to travel to London for that banquet, and able to reserve a place, that'd be a very good opportunity for you to see Coe and possibly get his autograph.
Django

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:18 pm

Coe did'nt win the 800m at Moscow, possibly a picture of him winning the 1500m.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:20 am

Seb Coe is high up in British sports administration. When Labour (Blair) won a majority in Parliament, Coe lost his seat in the House of Commons. He then worked in a support role to a leading official for the Tories in Parliament. He's hoping to be involved in the London bid for 2012 but hasn't been asked yet (sounded a bit peeved about that in a recent interview, sorry I can't recall exactly where on the internet I came across it . . .)

Postby run4fun » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:58 pm

Thanks for the info :)
run4fun

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:07 pm

Re the 40th anniversary banquet for Bannister's first sub 4 min. mile.
If I remember the details correctly, in addition to Ovett, Gunder the Wonder did not attend. I like to think back to 1942 when a German paratrooper watched Haegg run and said he had the smoothest possible running style. Between them Rudolf Harbig and Gunder held every world record from 400 m thru 5K. Nothing better than to receive accolades from a real champ. Haegg is probably the most underappreciated middle distance runner ever.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:25 am

I believe that he is running for a spot on the IAAF COuncil. The election is this week before the World Championships begin.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:33 am

The election results are on the IAAF website. Coe got elected to one of the 13 at-large spots by finishing 9th out of 23 candidates. Bob Hersh also got elected by finishing 8th but lost out in the race for Treasurer which would have moved him up to the officers group.