Michael Johnson v. All of the great sprinters/quartermilers

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Re: Michael Johnson v. All of the great sprinters/quartermil

Postby jhc68 » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:49 pm

Nah, I disagree. MJ's WR races had nothing to do with winning, they were races to shatter records and they were pretty damn awesome, really, MJ was racing himself and the clock. Smith wasn't that type of personality. We'll never know if Tommie could really have been competitive with those times, but some of us who saw TS in his prime will never be talked out of the idea that, given equal training circumstances, Tommie just might have been able to hold his own against MJ.
jhc68

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:47 pm

"given equal training circumstances, Tommie just might have been able to hold his own against MJ." You probably are dead right about this statement but the fact is MJ ran (and won) all the big races over a 10 year span while Tommie's peak career was limited to 3-4 big years and he won relatively few majors. Not necessarily TOmmie's fault but you have to compare achievements in addition to talent and MJ wins. Kind of like Gale Sayers, his talent was comparable to a Walter Payton or Barry Sanders but he didn't put up the career numbers and titles that they did and can't be ranked as high!

Postby gh » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:22 am

Something else to remember about Smith: he ran in an era where the good guys didn't always get the good lane draws. His "surprising" loss to Carlos in the OT final in '68 came with him drawn out of lane 1.

Note also that Smith never ran on the big-radius tracks that are so common today. The thought of how fast he could out of lane 8 with those long legs is frightening.
gh

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:57 am

I saw Tommie Smith run several times back in the 1960's and he was a pleasure to watch. I can't imagine what he would run with today's tracks, shoes, and training. Another great runner I loved to watch was Henry Carr. I often think about how fast and "smooth" a runner he was.