World Championships in Paris

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: World Championships in Paris

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:46 am

With voting to end August 16, here are your leaders to the question "Which one athlete do you think has the best chance of winning a gold medal at the Paris WC next month?"

Felix Sanchez 7
Ana Guevara 5
Maria Mutola 4
Robert Fazekas 2
Allen Johnson 1
Carolina Kluft 1
Lars Riedel 1
Cathy Freeman 1
Roman Sebrle 1
Gail Devers 1
Koji Murofushi 1
Christian Olsson 1

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:03 pm

apparantly you didnt read my first post where i stated felix sanchez. I stated that ana guevara was also tough in my second post, but WAS NOT MY PICK!!!!! why am i mad? haha

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:40 pm

With about 27 days before our voting ends, I believe the scoring goes like this:

Felix Sanchez 6
Ana Guevara 5
Maria Mutola 4
Robert Fazekas 2
Christian Olsson 1
Allen Johnson 1
Koji Murofushi 1
Carolina Kluff 1
Gail Devers 1
Roman Sebrle 1
Lars Riedel 1

The question remains: Do you think has the best chance for a gold medal in Paris next month at the World Championships? Please, only one name per guess. Also, give the event.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:43 pm

"Who do you think has the best chance at a gold medal in Paris next month?"

Postby Jim Rorick » Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:53 pm

I'm kinda amazed that people would pick Lars Riedel or Carolina Kluft as their lock (especially Riedel against Fazekas-Alekna).
I actually think Sanchez-Guevara are biggest locks (would go with Guevara because of the potential hurdle problem facing Sanchez). But, because he has no votes so far, because he's a 3-time champ, and because it ain't the Olympics, my vote goes to Hicham El Guerrouj in the 1500, just to put him in the picture. He belongs.
Jim Rorick
Also like Hersh's Murofushi pick.
Jim Rorick

Postby Powell » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:33 am

>I'm kinda amazed that people would pick Lars
>Riedel or Carolina Kluft as their lock
>(especially Riedel against Fazekas-Alekna).

I agree re Riedel - actually, Fazekas has been the very clear no. 1 in the world since last year, and to me Riedel isn't the no. 1 favourite, let alone a lock. I have great confidence in Kluft, though. OK, I know Barber has a marginally better SB and has the home-country advantage, but Carro's competitive ability is second to none - not to mention her phenomenal talent. I agree, she's not quite as much of a lock as Guevara, but she's up there.

BTW, just so that I'm original, my choice as the lock of the meet is Robert Korzeniowski in the 50k walk.
Powell

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:53 am

fenton is a LADY who runs clean

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:26 am

Nice gals finish second

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:08 am

jeff hartwig--he is due

Postby RM » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:28 am

Mutola
RM

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:18 am

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention lately, but I'd go with Mutola, for various reasons:

1)She is in an event where mishaps rarely happen. Sprints, hurdles, multis, and vertical jumps have too many opportunities for error.

2)Her recent history is one of running well at major championships. Graf's best chance was in 2001, but Mutola beat her down the stretch. Also, Mutola runs equally well both with and without a rabbit.

3)The competition seems a bit lackluster, unless Ceplak is lying low early in the season in order to peak later.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:28 am

Ana Guevara, 400m

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:35 am

Well... there are a lot of people that are almost 100% sure that are going to win
But my vote is going to
Sanchez

Postby Pego » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:36 am

How about Tyree Washington?
Pego

Postby tafnut » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:40 am

"jeff hartwig--he is due"

to pick ANY pole vaulter to be a lock in any event is wondrous. Even Bubka had his off days. No one since Dutch Warmerdam has ever been a lock in the pole vault.
tafnut

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:34 am

i agree, the vault is wide open and hartwig isnt even the favorite to win, but based on the law of averages, hartwig has to win just because his championship record has been so poor. as far as bubka went, he won every worlds that he ever competed in. warmerdam was the man though, would like to see him jump against bubka with bubka on bamboo.

Postby huh? » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:05 am

>hartwig has to win just because his championship record has been so poor.<

When they have a world championships in non-sequiturs, you just have to win.
huh?

Postby The Flash » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:10 am

I have to go with ALLEN JOHNSON...he's just been awesome this year.
The Flash

Postby jules » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:49 pm

Anna Guevara
jules

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:33 pm

Guevara. She'll run a 48.6 in Paris this year and a 48.1 in Athens next year. That's right. You heard it here! Forty-Eight-One!!!! I love this woman's technique. No one is close to her right now. Peace.

Best Quartermilers Ever:
1) Marie Jose Perec
2) Marita Koch
3) Ana Guevara

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:37 pm

>Best Quartermilers Ever:
>1) Marie Jose Perec
>2) Marita Koch
>3) Ana Guevara

I doubt any of these three ever ran a quarter mile in their lives.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:41 pm

Alright, 400m. Sorry for the technical mishap. Peace.

Postby Pego » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:52 pm

Perec over Koch and Kratochvílová? You've got to be kidding!
Pego

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:05 pm

>Perec over Koch and Kratochvílová? You've got to
>be kidding!

Yes, that's correct. And that's with Koch's 47.6 and Kratochvilova's 1:53.28 half. I forgot about Kratochvilova. Would have been a 3 time Oly Champion (instead of one) if not for the boycotts. I saw Koch live at The Old Mobil Indoor meet at Madison Square Garden. What a powerful runner.

But I do prefer Perec's fluid, gazelle style over the two of them. Alright, Guevara drops down a bit (alltime). But without question she is the dominant 400m runner of this era. Peace.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:09 pm

"I saw Koch live at The Old Mobil Indoor meet at Madison Square Garden. What a powerful runner."

Ain't drugs grand?

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:11 pm

Oh, sorry, I forgot the proscription against 'that subject.' Please strike my last from the record.

Postby richardh » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:43 am

Koji Murofushi would also be my choice - the best technician I've seen since Litvinov. He's only 1.22m ahead of the #2 man - Ivan Tikhon (BLR)but is an excellent competitor, and should throw at least 83m in the final to win.
richardh

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:29 pm

With July quickly ending, I wanted to give you an update on the voting so far to the question, "Which athlete do you think has the best chance of winning a gold medal in the WC next month in Paris?"

Ana Guevara 400 8
Felix Sanchez 400H 7
Maria Mutola 800 6
Allen Johnson 110H 2
Robert Fazekas DT 2
Koji Murofushi HT 2
Carolina Kluff Hept. 1
Lars Riedel DT 1
Roman Sebrle Decath. 1
Gail Devers 100H 1
Christian Olsson TJ 1
Hicham El Guerroug 1,500 1
Robert Korzeniowski 50K Walk 1
Jeff Hartwig PV 1
Tyree Washington 400 1

Remember, voting ends August 16th. Only one athlete per vote and please include the event with the athlete's name. Reasons are extra credit.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:59 pm

Alan Webb, hands down

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:40 pm

Although many posters have wanted to be "original" by picking overlooked favorites, I think the obvious choice is between Guevara and Mutola, with Ana getting my vote.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:40 pm

Just a few more days to go and it looks as if the top picks (men and women) are going in 400 meter races.
Ana Guevara leads Felix Sanchez 9 to 7.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:50 pm

My vote goes to Gail Devers in Paris. I think she is fairly healthy and if she is, I don't think anyone will beat her in August.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:49 pm

The one athlete I think has the best chance at gold in Paris is Tatyana Lebedeva in the TJ. She has been consistent, healthy, and best in the world.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:49 pm

Dwight Phillips long jump Champion will bring home gold.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:17 pm

>How about Tyree Washington?

Definitely Tyree Washington. I don't recall anybody mentioning him earlier

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:27 pm

Hicham El G in the 1500

Postby Money In The Bank » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:47 pm

Two words: El G. Dude will be blowin' kisses down the homestretch en route to another sub-3:30. The 5K is another matter, tho...
Money In The Bank

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:10 pm

There are 4-5 tough choices...I'll take Guevara, also

Postby Jon » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:57 pm

I would have said Manuela Montebrun is a lock for the women's hammer title, but she recently picked up a minor injury. Until we know how serious that injury is, then I won't put her name down as my vote.

Also, if it weren't for the nationality issue, Yamile Aldama would be up there too, but looks like she won't be going to Paris.

I would pick Sanchez, but his is a hurdles event, so you can never be too sure of getting through the whole race without falling.

Guevara is up there too, but her last two races (in particularly her last one - 50.98) have failed to impress. However, Lorraine Fenton's 49.71 run in terrible conditions really did impress me - surely she can challenge Guevara to the extent of taking away the "lock" factor...?

It's a tough call between Murofushi and Korzeniowski. Korzeniowski is a big-time performer, yet can't match Murofushi's 2003 unbeaten record. Korzeniowski has been beaten 3 times already this year, out of his 7 outdoor races. So I'm afraid Korzeniowski can't be counted as a lock (especially with the walks lifting rule - can never guarantee getting through the whole race without being DQ'ed).

Therefore, my vote would go to Koji Murofushi - he has an unbeaten record this year, and his shortest throw of the season (82.36m) has only been bettered by two other athletes this season. As it is, he holds 6 of the 8 best throws this season, and is a clear meter ahead of his nearest rival (a fairly inconsistent Ivan Tikhon).

To clarify, my vote is for Koji Murofushi
Jon

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:20 am

CHANDRA STURRUP

Next