Sleep & Training

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Sleep & Training

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:19 am

Just a quick poll. How much sleep do World Class or National Class athletes get while in serious training. I remember reading Salazar slept 8 hours a night, Derek Clayton only slept 6 hours, Liquori liked 9+ hours. I was told by his teammates at Florida, Dennis Mitchell only got 3 or 4 hours per night. Anyone know the sleep habots of any of the top guys today?

Re: Sleep & Training

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:35 am

I know of a master's thesis done a few years ago of sleep habits of "national class" and "world class" collegiate track and field athletes. Let me know if you're interested, I'll tell you about it and if you're interested you might request it on inter-library loan.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:39 am

I'd love to see it. I'd be very curious as to the findings. It seems to me that each individual is different and so it depends more on personal genetics, lifestyle and diet than anything.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:52 am

Paula Radcliffe reports that she sleeps 9 hours a night plus a two-hour nap in the afternoon.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:55 am

For the record, I train for marathons and ultramarathons and sleep 7 to 7.5 hours a night during the week and 8 to 9 hours per night on the weekend.

But I've always found I need less sleep than most of the people I've trained with. Not sure why, my father always slept 10 + hours