qualifying standards

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

qualifying standards

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:15 pm

I'm somewhat confused with the way the WC and OG qualifying standards work. Even if you make the A qualifying time, you still dont make it on your country's team if you didnt place 1-3 at your nationals? cause I'm seeing some 100 meter sprinters running fast times, for example Coby Miller, who got 4th in our Nationals, but it still doesnt matter cause he didn't get 1-3? If someone can clarify for me it would be greatly apprectiated. And by the way what is the qualifying standard for the 100, like 10.15 or something like that?

Re: qualifying standards

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:27 pm

one would think that since it is a 'qualifier' that it would take you to the finals or the next meet considering that is the purpose of a qualifier. But I dont know I suppose I might research it a little.

Re: qualifying standards

Postby tafnut » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:32 pm

What's to explain? The IOC says each country can send a maximum of three people for each event (not including wild cards - defending champions). To send all three, they must have met the A standard. If not, they can send one B standard athlete. The USA designates the USATF meet as the qualifer. Finish in the top 3, have the A mark and you go. Recently we have been adding other people when all three don't have A mark, but someone who finished lower does.
tafnut