Carl Myerscough-Next 75 footer?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Carl Myerscough-Next 75 footer?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:39 am

Obviously a big guy (6' 10"), he can toss. Throwing 71' 11" at the national championship meet. And he has one more year, when this guy get on the world seen (out of college), do you think hes our next dominant shot guy. 75 feet? more than that? What about Christian Cantwell? What about Dan Taylor?

Re: Carl Myerscough-Next 75 footer?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:10 am

I guess we shouldn't mention the steroid bust and suspension.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:43 am

Myerscough's juice issues were a while ago and dont get me wrong, I am a thrower and am whole-heartedly agoinst steroid use but I just think at this point he could progress to elite levels. Yes, I would think the governing body's would keep a watchful I on him because that type of behavior is unexceptable. Taylor and Cantwell both have potential to be high level competitiors.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:53 am

What about Myerscough coming off of his two-year international ban for drugs. Has he finally learned how to do "things" correctly, without getting caught.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:33 am

Obviously, Myerscough went to Nebraska so he could compete during his suspension since the NCAA doesn't recognize IAAF rules.

Is every shot putter who competed against him during the suspension now tainted under IAAF rules? Or can you only be tainted by competing against a banned competitor in IAAF events?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:28 am

It will be interesting to see if he's allowed to compete in Athens. Our Olympic Association has different rules than the Track Federation, they ban anyone caught from competing in the OG's even if they've done their time. I imagine the lawsuits are already being prepared.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:33 am

>Obviously, Myerscough went to Nebraska so he
>could compete during his suspension since the
>NCAA doesn't recognize IAAF rules. Is every
>shot putter who competed against him during the
>suspension now tainted under IAAF rules? Or can
>you only be tainted by competing against a banned
>competitor in IAAF events?>>

Myerscough only competed in a couple of indoor meets for Nebraska in 2000 before they realized what was up and wouldn't let him compete. He didn't throw again until the 2002 indoor season, so effectively served his two years.

People under IAAF suspension have competed in NCAA meets before though, but the IAAF has loopholed the rules so people who compete against them in that setting aren't set down.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:21 am

My money would be on Toth. He's really come along this year under his new coach. He's just a beast of a man. He'll hit 75!

Postby Powell » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:11 am

Yeah, maybe Toth will do it at some obscure US meet, but once he gets to the World Champs/Olympics, he will struggle to throw 65...

BTW, anyone else notice how the top US putters are struggling to replicate their US performances on the European circuit this year? Same with Myerscough (second at the European Cup, 1.2 meters down on his NCAA performance). Something must be getting lost in the process of metric conversion... ;-)
Powell

Postby bhall » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:39 am

Nelson, Toth, and Godina are all recovering from injuries. It looks like Nelson is headed back to good form and Godina wasn't too far from it.
bhall

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:49 am

Ok, here's a question for you....

Is it POSSIBLE in your humble opinions, for a man who's a great physical speciman (which I realize isn't necessary, re: Nelson, but I digress), has great speed, technique, etc., to throw 23-24 meters WITHOUT performance-enhancers?

I ask that in consideration of the fact that the vast majority of our monstrous men go on to become NFL linemen or something else besides putters (and may or may not also be using).

I repeat, is it possible for the right person, naturally? Surely if "little" Adam Nelson can do what he's done, and I really hope he's clean, a fast, technically sound, strong but drug free 6-4, 300-pounder can do it...?

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:15 am

I guess I'm still a "naive" fan of the throws, but I do beleive that not all of these guys (and gals) are using.

Toth has gotten a bad rap for under performing at the big Euro meets. He's a good guy that will let a big one rip very soon!

Don't forget about Cantwell, he's gaining momentum too! Nelson seems to finally be getting heathly again.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:47 am

I have pretty much considered Toth to be the guy to do it, the question for me has just been where when. He just been a no brainer in my opinion. I have almost been expecting it from him so when I see a throw of 72 I have still been dissapointed. I just think that there is a tough call on you has potential to do it other then him the next few years. By the way The most exciting to watch(out of the spinners) is Toth but I find Myself supporting Nelson because I am about 6', 250 ish and hes about that size. Gotta give it up for the smaller guys. Its funny because out in the world I am a pretty big guy but in the throwing world I am a runt. You gotta make up for it with strength.

Postby bubba » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:00 am

>You gotta make up for it with strength.

...and speed and technique. Nelson's body position coming across the ring is something every other thrower on the planet could learn from. He stays extremely low and absolutely explodes as he uncurls. He's definitely strong but I think his equalizer is his speed and technique not his strength.
bubba

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:23 am

Nelson has an amazingly unique technique. I've heard him referred to as a "torque" thrower because of the huge amount of torque generated by his lower body. He has a tremedous left leg wrap.

He's found a way to be successful against men that are usually much larger than him. Don't know about his comparative strength levels, but this shows that they are many ways for a thrower to be successful, and it's not always just the biggest and strongest!

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:30 am

Bubba and Grandman are right on. You fellahs seem like you know your stuff. Good People.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:01 am

broose ... you seem a stand-up guy. not sure what circles you frequent or know about - and this is a legit inquiry ... what % of the big fellas (shot) you know - think are using? no names just %

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:54 am

On the percentage thing, there was a debate on this issue on another board a couple of months ago. The report on the link below is fairly damning.

http://body.subportal.com/health/Nutrit ... 02340.html

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:15 am

Toth might hit a few more 74's but i dont think that we will see 75 anytime soon. Remember, it took timmermann 3 years to get beyond to 75 feet after his 74 world record in 1985. gunthor never made the 75 club either, and someone of his stature sure could have...but then again, i speak of gliders...maybe if toth hits everything right when at his best strength, itll happen.

23 meter mark...now theres where the challenge is.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:53 am

>On the percentage thing, there was a debate on
>this issue on another board a couple of months
>ago. The report on the link below is fairly
>damning.

True a damning report, but not talking about the throws specifically. It's track in general. Just want to make that clear

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:08 am

It hinted that 90% of weight guys are on the juice! I certainly hope that is high, but everytime I begin to think we're cleaning up our sport I get smacked down again by reality. I think most insiders have a pretty pessimistic view of our cleanliness.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:19 am

My close friend was told by one of the most respected coaches in the world (based in so. cal) that he thought 100% of 21m+ throwers were juiced. Said it was impossible to throw that far otherwise.

Postby bhall » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:24 am

Either put your name and the name of the source of these allegations on your post or don't post it (ie back them up with facts you're willing to defend in court).

It's like, "my cousin's brother's girlfriend saw Ferris passed out at the 31 Flavors last night..."

See guideline #3

3. The definition of "objectionable post" rests solely with T&FN. Be advised up front that sexist/racist material is out of bounds. As are unfounded accusations/suggestions that athlete X is using drugs.
bhall

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:27 am

Let's see - an anonymous poster says his anonymous friend was told by an anonymous coach (albiet a famous one) that all 21+ throwers are not clean. Wow! If that's not proof-positive.....

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:34 am

Hey I'm sure there are many big guys that are juicing it(sadly) but whose to say for sure withoutthe proper testing. But I justhave a feeling that the new crop of college guys, Taylor Cantwell, etc. are clean and doing it the right way. Obviously there are bad apples everyway but I think the U.S. is doing Okay as far as true competitors.
I think the percentage would be low, but beyond that. afraid to say

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:26 am

Neglected to say when I posted the link that I'm a thrower so I'd prefer to believe that the 90% in track and field is a crazy estimate. As we discussed when the issue was debated elsewhere before the synopsis of the report isn't really clear, is it 90% of Olympians, 90% of finalists, 90% of medalists? No way am I going to believe its 90% of Olympians. However if you combine the 90% T&F with the weightlifting estimate and as throwers are the strongest guys in T&F it's no wonder people point fingers at us.

It can be depressing when you see a young thrower with great potential and have to wonder if some day he'll be faced with the choice of juice and suceed or don't juice and forget it. Look at the Werner Reiterer (don't know how to spell it - Oz discus thrower) story. Is it true?

Personally I'd hope that all my heros, past and present are among those who aren't on the juice. I've never met any of them in person but other throwers who have say that they're all great guys. You don't want to believe nice guys take gear to win.

Many different people offer their opinion on how far can be thrown clean, no doubt if you'd asked people in the 50's you'd find the answer much different than today. You can be sure that before Parry O'Brien people said 19m was impossible.

My website is www.irishthrowersclub.com for anyone who's interested in throwing.

Tim

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:07 pm

Blanket statements such as "All 21m guys are on drugs," is such crap. Yes there have been a slew of guys doing drugs to get big marks, but if my narrow ass can throw 20.53 in a meet and 21m in training without drugs than people can throw 23m without drugs. It will just take the right person at the right time. As far as the next 75fter goes...I don't believe that anyone will throw 75ft in the next 3-4 years. To throw 75+ feet you have to be consistant at the 22m level. Nobody is at that level.

Postby tafnut » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:41 pm

Refreshing perspective. Thank you!
tafnut

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:51 am

I don't know about all the drug talk, but all I have to say about the 6'10" Myerscough is, "Holy height of release, Batman!"

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:55 am

So let me get this straight . . . my post that noted Kevin Toth competed in the World's Strongest Man competition got bounced, while they left alone that ridiculous thread calling Tim Montgomery an immoral "sprinter" (and we all know "sprinter" is a thinly veiled racial reference).

Just making sure I understand the priorities.

Postby bhall » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:24 am

Your post on Toth was pulled automatically because it was in reply to another post that was pulled. When we delete a post all replies to that post automatically get yanked with it.
bhall

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:02 am

>As far as the next 75fter
>goes...I don't believe that anyone will throw
>75ft in the next 3-4 years. To throw 75+ feet you
>have to be consistant at the 22m level. Nobody is
>at that level.

John, granted I'm not an elite level thrower like you. However, I would think that for guys like Toth and Nelson, the only two guys over 22m the past 3 years I beleive, 22.86 (75ft) is most definitely possible. I don't think Toth or Nelson would tell you that they have had that perfect throw yet. If they get it, it'll go 75+!

Postby br » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:10 am

>(and we all know "sprinter" is a thinly veiled racial reference).

j squire,

How long has the word "sprinter" been a thinly veiled racial reference? Is it another thinly veiled racial reference if you call someone a "pole vaulter"?
br