track measurements?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

track measurements?

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:31 pm

does anyone know where the measurements are taken on a track? what i mean by that is, is 1 mile 4 laps on lane #1? i usually run at my high school track, but i run on one of the 3 outside lanes (#6-8). i was just wondering what the distance is for, say 4 laps on lane #7? i have tried looking this up and have had no luck. any info would be appreciated! thanks!

Re: track measurements?

Postby miles » Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:53 pm

If you look at the track you can see how much extra distance each lane adds by looking at the 400M start marks. I would guess that the exact 400M distance should be measured at the curb in lane 1.
miles

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:11 am

>I would guess that the exact 00M distance should be measured at the curb in lane 1.<

And you'd guess wrong. Lane 1 is measured 30cm out from the curb.

The answer to the original question depends upon the width of the lanes.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:52 am

More than a mile. If knowing how far you run really matters that much, then run in lane one.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:21 pm

thanks to the ones trying to help. and since one moron is too stupid to just answer my question, my HS track wants people to run on the other lanes - it's not my choice. thanks for nothing, idiot!

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:36 pm

greg, A rule of thumb according to T&FN's Big Green Book is: Multiply the additional distance from the curb by 3 to obtain the extra distance run on each curve. Example 3 foot from the curb will cost 9 foot for 200, 18 foot for 400, etc. An average lane on a track is 42" (3.5 feet) wide. Hope this helps!

Postby lagsun » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:01 pm

Greg,

Goto this site to learn how far you are running in each lane:

http://members.aol.com/RWNARF/atrack.htm
lagsun