distance runners can be made

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

distance runners can be made

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:32 am

It's a physiological fact that sprinters cannot just be "MADE" ,like so many of you suggest in different threads. Ask any physiology, exercise scientist, or realist and they will tell you sprinters are born, runners are made. The fast twitch fibers are a must.Anybody can learn how to work there way up in mileage. I know distance runners that would kill to have a little footspeed. No matter how hard they try, it's not going to happen. I have trained around guys that have run 1:43-1:44 in the 800m. These guys have pr's of 46 high in the 400m and 23 mid for 200m. With all do respect, that is not speed. Speed in 20 point.Shoot, I'll even say speed is 21 point. Speed is even a guy who can break 11 for a hundred. Any takers?

Re: distance runners can be made

Postby Petros » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:55 am

I more-or-less agree with you. Maybe the only way to "make" yourself into a sprinter is, look at the thighs of elite sprinters. They're huge. If there's a way to train so you can increase the mass of your thigh muscle, that might help. Otherwise, you're shit-outta-luck unless you win the genetic lottery.
Distance runners need a certain genetic predisposition too - spare build, cardio-pulmonary efficiency. But beyond that it's more a matter of just staying healthy and staying motivated for the years it takes to progress. I mean, you do see athletes, who've been at it for 15 years, transition from shorter to longer races, but you don't see it the other way around.
Petros

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:16 am

I don't think the average person could run even a five minute mile. I remember soccer practice in high school. Our top players could barely break 8 minute miles in practice.

If you took the average person in the street and had them train for 8 weeks maybe they could run a 6:30 mile.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:58 pm

With the proper specificity of training many people can develop themselves into a semi competitive athletes. If that person has natural potential then its all the better. Some people are just better suited for certain events. Some people are just not suited for any thing and it must really suck to be them. Sprinters have those tremendous leg muscle from the deep squats that both stretch the hamstrings for speed and engages the hams and quads and glutes and such for power obviously they do much more than that (cleans, snatches, etc.)and just sprinting packs on a little muscle too.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:22 pm

Hate to break it to you sprintman, but distance running is a fast-twitch sport just like sprinting is. Speed is huge, especially in mid-distance races. BTW, you say that the 800m runners who you trained around ran 46 for 400m, yet they only ran 23 for 200m?!? In other words, they held their 200m pace for the entire lap? I don't think so, bro.... any 46-sec quartermiler should be able to run UNDER 22, and I seriously doubt that there are any world-class 800m runners who can't run that fast.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:17 pm

If Sprinters are "born" and distance runners are "made" than I guess that settles the old question of which ones work the hardest. Distance runner of course.

That should stir up the pot. ;-)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:33 pm

Distance runners are born, too. Don't tell me I'm not as fast as El G, Geb or Khannouchi only because I don't work hard enough. (I don't, but it's not the ONLY reason.)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:43 pm

I think that in all events in T&F and in all sports its a combination of genetics you are born with, hard work (training hard) and smart work (doing the right training). The combination of these three factors probably does change from event to event but all three are necessary to be one of the best in this day and age. If you are more gifted in one of these three areas than your competitors than you may be able to get by with less in another area.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:12 pm

They can also be broken. As a plethora of weekend warrior road running high school coaches over a ten year period in the eighties have shown.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:30 pm

Hey Brian, ask Dave K what his 200 pr is. It has nothing to do with 21 seconds. He can go 46 in the quarter. He's a premiere 800 meter runner. If you ask him if he thinks he's fast. He'll admit the difference between speed and absolute speed in which I am referring to.Thanks though jacka$$.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:17 pm

Rico...are you saying that there is SOMEONE, heck ANYONE in the world that runs a 46 quarter that has a PR in the mid 23's for 200. Talk about a jacka$$ comment!

Postby athlete72125 » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:27 pm

well it would make sense. i mean cmon if you run a 46 then you run 2 23s. most runners run a 21 first 200 and they still only run a 45 46. hes probly right
athlete72125

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:47 pm

I'm friends with Dave. He will tell you himself it is easier for him to put together 23.o out the first 2 then bring it home in 23.5 or so. If he were to go out in 22 anything it would be closer to an all out sprint fo 400m. He simply cannot hold on.

Postby powered » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:40 pm

Hate to break it to you but distance is not a fast twitch sport. It's a slow twitch sport. Fast twitch fiber is is anaerobic while slow twitch is aerobic. Distance running requires the muscle to use oxygen as part of its fuel requirement so the slow twitch fiber takes over. Fast twitch fiber uses no fuel and is primarily for short runs, under 800meters. At the very top level of 800 runners there are those that are able to stretch there anaerobic capacity to last virtually the entire race.
powered

Postby powered » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:42 pm

>Hate to break it to you but distance is not a
>fast twitch sport. It's a slow twitch sport.
>Fast twitch fiber is is anaerobic while slow
>twitch is aerobic. Distance running requires the
>muscle to use oxygen as part of its fuel
>requirement so the slow twitch fiber takes over.
>Fast twitch fiber uses no fuel and is primarily
>for short runs, under 800meters. At the very top
>level of 800 runners there are those that are
>able to stretch there anaerobic capacity to last
>virtually the entire race.

oops meant to say fast twitch uses no oxygen as fuel (that's what anaerobic means)
powered

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:32 am

You must be wierd to run 1:43 and not able to break 23secs for 200m

Postby athlete72125 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:10 am

not weird, retarded is the word
athlete72125

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:19 am

Powered - have to disagree that elite 800m runners are going anaerobic the entire 800m. Actually anaerobic activities are 10 sec. (at most). Beyond that aerobic components come into play. This is one reason some 100m runners can't go 200m competively, and why most 100m runners can't go 400m. The 800m is roughly 70% aerobic, 30% anaerobic (based on studies I remember from several years back). I believe the same study put the 1500m at 90% aerobic, 10% anarobic (makes sense if you watch El G. run - he looks totally aerobic until the final stretch). David K. looked aerobic as well thru most of his race last weekend.

Postby powered » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:59 pm

>Powered - have to disagree that elite 800m
>runners are going anaerobic the entire 800m.
>Actually anaerobic activities are 10 sec. (at
>most). Beyond that aerobic components come into
>play. This is one reason some 100m runners
>can't go 200m competively, and why most 100m
>runners can't go 400m. The 800m is roughly 70%
>aerobic, 30% anaerobic (based on studies I
>remember from several years back). I believe
>the same study put the 1500m at 90% aerobic, 10%
>anarobic (makes sense if you watch El G. run -
>he looks totally aerobic until the final
>stretch). David K. looked aerobic as well thru
>most of his race last weekend.

Disagreement is good for the soul. I think your studies may be dated, and there are several reasons why some 100m's can't go 200 or 400 that are more probable than lack of anaerobic capacity. Number one reason would be bad training.
There is always a combination of aerobic and anaerobic capacity since muscles contain both red and white fiber.
powered

Postby Petros » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:06 am

The most inspired nugget of wisdom anywhere in this thread so far, was written by Broose. What he said goes beyond the speed/distance debate, it goes beyond Track itself. It's practically like a Grand Unified Theory of Life. He said, "Some people are just not suited for any thing and it must really suck to be them." Bless your soul, Broose, you've written my epitaph for me!
Petros

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:24 am

>It's a physiological fact that sprinters cannot
>just be "MADE" ,like so many of you suggest in
>different threads. Ask any physiology, exercise
>scientist, or realist and they will tell you
>sprinters are born, runners are made. The fast
>twitch fibers are a must.Anybody can learn how to
>work there way up in mileage. I know distance
>runners that would kill to have a little
>footspeed. No matter how hard they try, it's not
>going to happen. I have trained around guys that
>have run 1:43-1:44 in the 800m. These guys have
>pr's of 46 high in the 400m and 23 mid for 200m.
>With all do respect, that is not speed. Speed in
>20 point.Shoot, I'll even say speed is 21 point.
>Speed is even a guy who can break 11 for a
>hundred. Any takers?

Of course speed is relative. I would think Michael Johnson would think that 20 point is slow. He would say speed is sub 19.8.

A middle distance runner needs enough "speed" to beat other middle distance runners in the final 100 m. and enough speed to be able to maintain a fast pace in a race. This doesn't mean that he needs to be able to run under 11 seconds for 100 meters but it would be good for him so get the legs to be used to running 23 for 200 meters (most US middle distance runners would be hard pressed to do that.

All elite athletes are born, regardless of the event -but to truely excel they must then train. There are plenty of talented people who are just too lazy to realize their potential. A combination of genetics, hard work, and a sound balanced program is required to reach a very high level of competition - regardless of the sport or event.