Montgomery - Francis

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Montgomery - Francis

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:16 am

Can anyone make some sense out of what Tim Montgomery is saying here. The full story can be found at http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wi ... d=17137099

Montgomery said it "was not a good decision from a PR point of view," but added the association had benefited both parties, particularly Francis.

"You can't judge a person for what they did, when it involves two people," Montgomery said of the 1988 Olympic scandal.

"That's like if you are married and your wife is taking drugs, do you pick up the police and say 'come pick my wife up and put her in jail'.

"No. You are still going to help your wife and try to help her see the better picture in life.

Huh???

Re: Montgomery - Francis

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:39 am

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:18 pm

I wish he and Jones could have had the guts to tell the world--including Nike--that they had the right to be coached by whomever would do the best job, Francis' past be damned. I understand the whys and wherefores of their decision to distance themselves, but I believe Francis could have done some impressive things with their basic mechanics. There was/is more to that man than steroids.

Postby lagsun » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:31 pm

Maybe he's making a veiled reference about his significant other's marriage to CJ :-)
lagsun