USA WC team

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

USA WC team

Postby Adam » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:03 am

Here is the USA men's team for the World Champs as nearly as I can tell. This of course doesn't take into account injuries, athletes withdrawing, etc. It's just a list of those that have qualified to be on the team and some senarios for who could end up on the team. I'm sure there are mistakes and omisions feel free to correct. I only had time to do the men's team maybe someone else could add the women. I've also omitted the marathon and 50k walk because I'm not sure how they are selected.

100m
Bye Maurice Greene A
1 Bernard Williams A
2 Tim Montgomery A
3 Jon Drummond A

200m
1 Darvis Patton A
2 John Capel A
3 Joshua Johnson A

400m
1 Tyree Washington A
2 Calvin Harrison A
3 Jerome Young A

800m
1 David Krummenacker A
2 Khadevis Robinson A
3 Jonathon Johnson A

1500m
1 Jason Lunn
2 Bryan Berryhill B

As of right now, Bryan Berryhill goes. If Lunn can get under 3:37.10 he bumps off Berryhill and goes alone.

5000m
1 Tim Broe
2 Adam Goucher
3 Jorge Torres B

Torres is going unless Broe or Goucher goes 13:25.40 or better.

10000m
1 Alan Culpepper A
2 Meb Keflezighi A
3 Daniel Browne A

110H
1/Bye Allen Johnson A
2 Terrence Trammell A
3 Larry Wade A
4 Christopher Phillips A

400H

1 Eric Thomas A
2 Bershawn Jackson A
3 Joey Woody A

3000SC
1 Steve Slattery A
2 Daniel Lincoln A
3 Robert Gary A

20KW
1 Kevin Eastler B

HJ
1 Jamie Nieto A
2 Matt Hemingway A
3 Terrance Woods B
5 Tora Harris A

Woods needs to go 2.30 (7'6.5") other wise Harris is on the team.

PV
1 Jeff Hartwig A
2 Derek Miles A
3 Timothy Mack A

LJ
1 Dwight Phillips A
2 Walter Davis A
3 Savante Stringfellow A

TJ
1 Kenta Bell A
2 Walter Davis A
3 Tim Rusan A

SP
1 Kevin Toth A
2/Bye John Godina A
3 Reese Hoffa A
4 Adam Nelson A

DT
1 Carl Brown A
2 Adam Setliff B
3 Doug Reynolds B
5 Nick Petrucci A
9 Casey Malone A

Setliff and Reynolds need to throw 64.60 (211'11.5") to knock off Petrucci and Malone who are currently on the team.

HT
No one has a B qualifier that I can find so if anyone from the USATF Champs field throws 76.40 (250'8") they go to Paris.

JT
1 Breaux Greer B

Dec
1 Tom Pappas A
2 Bryan Clay A
3 Paul Terek A

SP
1 Kevin Toth A
2/Bye John Godina A
Adam

Re: USA WC team

Postby tandfman » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:52 am

Two things. First, you hit send before adding Hoffa and Nelson in the shot. They both have A quals.

Also, in a number of places, you ignore the fact that there are others who could qualify. For instance, in the discus, you say "Setliff and Reynolds need to throw 64.60 (211'11.5") to knock off Petrucci and Malone who are currently on the team." This may be true (I haven't checked the lists), but it's also true that anyone else who competed in the Nationals could throw the A and also knock off Petrucci and Malone. When the deadline comes, we'll send the top three A quals, in order of their finish at Stanford. If there are only two A quals, we'll send them. Of course, if we have no A quals or only one, we'll send the Naitonal Champion if he/she has at least the B qual. If nobody has the A or B, we can't send anyone.
tandfman

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:56 am

The 1500 situation gives me pause to wonder. We know that if Lunn gets a B, he trumps Berryhill, even if Berryhill gets an A.

What happens if somebody--but just one--lower than Berryhill gets an A standard? (Not including Krummenacker, who already has one, but says he isn't interested in running.) Does an A trump a B, or since there would still be only man on the team, to they leave it to the higher Nationals placer?

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:15 am

>Two things. First, you hit send before adding
>Hoffa and Nelson in the shot. They both have A
>quals. >>

No he didn't; he had them correct up top and then had an "artifact" at the bottom.

Postby Adam » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:22 am

>Two things. First, you hit send before adding
>Hoffa and Nelson in the shot. They both have A
>quals.

Actually I accidently listed Toth and Godina twice the full shot qualifiers are listed higher up.

>Also, in a number of places, you
>ignore the fact that there are others who could >qualify....
>...This may be true (I
>haven't checked the lists), but it's also true
>that anyone else who competed in the Nationals
>could throw the A and also knock off Petrucci and
>Malone.

That's right, I simply listed the top finishers in these cases but anyone (assuming they placed higher that Petrucci or Malone) could knock them off. Since Patrucci finished 5th, besides Reynolds and Setliff, Ralston could bump him. As for Malone, in addition to Reynolds, Setliff, and Ralston, you have Waltz, Young and Thurmond.

The only other place that I believe this comes into play is the high jump where either Woods or Lancaster can knock Harris off the team. There are also other events (e.g. 1500, 5000) that are just too wide open at this point to really get into the various scenarios.
Adam

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:47 am

What happens if
>somebody--but just one--lower than Berryhill gets
>an A standard? (Not including Krummenacker, who
>already has one, but says he isn't interested in
>running.) Does an A trump a B, or since there
>would still be only man on the team, to they
>leave it to the higher Nationals placer?

Here is a cut and paste of the the olympic selection procedures which I am guessing they are using for the world champs as well.

For all events except the marathon
a.If two or more athletes in an event have met the Olympic ‘A ’ standard by the final
date to reach the qualifying standard (as yet to be established),those athletes (up
to the maximum number allowed)will be nominated to the 2004 US Olympic Team
in rank order of finish at the Olympic Trials.
For running events,the two or more highest placing finalists with the Olympic ‘A ’
standard will be nominated (up to the maximum allowed).If all the available
Olympic Team positions are not filled by place-finish in the finals,then the athlete(s)
achieving the Olympic ‘A ’ standard with the fastest time in the semi--final round will
be nominated to fill the remaining Olympic Team positions;If all the available
Olympic Team positions are not filled by the fastest times in the semi-final round,
then the athlete(s)achieving the Olympic ‘A ’ standard with the fastest time from
the preliminary rounds will be nominated to fill the remaining Olympic Team posi-
tions.
For field events,the two or more highest placing finalists with the Olympic ‘A ’ stan--
dard will be nominated to the Olympic Team up to the maximum allowed.If all the
available Olympic Team positions are not filled by place-finish in the final round,then
those athlete(s)achieving the Olympic ‘A ’ standard with the best mark in the qual--
ifying rounds will be nominated to fill the remaining Olympic Team positions.
b.If only one athlete in an event has met the Olympic ‘A ’ standard by the final date to
reach the qualifying standard,only the highest placing athlete who has met either
the ‘A ’ or ‘B ’ standard will be nominated to the 2004 Olympic Team..

If I read this correctly the answer to your question is that no a single "A" does not trump a
"B" but two "A's" would.

David Donley

Postby tandfman » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:45 am

Donley has it right. Ignore my previous post. Time for another cup of coffee.
tandfman