Carl Lewis' first pitch at the Mariners game

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Carl Lewis' first pitch at the Mariners game

Postby Trackshark » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:30 pm

I was watching PIT on ESPN today (Tuesday) and if any of you are familiar with the show, they have a "toss-up" feature where show hosts Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon debate certain issues in sports.

One of the "toss-up" questions was: Which was more of a disappointment for Carl Lewis, his national anthem during the Nets game or his first pitch last night at the Mariners game?

Now, I don't know if any of you saw his first pitch, but he didn't even get the ball to go 2 feet. I'm sure it made all the Sportscenter highlights including the ever-so-fasionable The Best Damn Sports Show on Fox Sports Net.

Kornheiser even throws in "because the Zebra wasn't focused" every now and then on the show -- which he is going back to Lewis' dramatic insight into the Man vs Beast showdown when Crawford raced the Zebra.

I just don't know how Carl manages to get himself into all these "embarassing" situations where all the national sports reporters have an easy time to take their shot. Watch your local Sportscenter tonight as I'm sure it will be on again.
Trackshark

Re: Carl Lewis' first pitch at the Mariners game

Postby gh » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:36 pm

From Tom Fitzgerald's column in this morning's San Francisco Chronicle:

<<FALSE START: If you thought Vitali Klitscho's face looked terrible after the Lennox Lewis fight, you should have seen track great Carl Lewis' 30-foot ceremonial first pitch at a Mariners game last week.>>
gh

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:30 pm

Just curious which is Carl's better personal best, his long jump or how far he threw that opening pitch. :)

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:36 pm

I'll have to ask Brad (Walker) if he watched that pitch :) For those of you that don't know, Brad is throwing out the first pitch of the Mariners game on July 9th. Unfortunately his throwing hand is broken, so he will either have to try and throw with the cast on or throw left handed.
polevaultpower

Postby Twister » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:14 am

I would bet a good all around athlete like Carl could throw well. In his prime he could have been a very good base stealer if he had the other skills to play pro ball.
Twister

Postby Armyrunner » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:13 am

Hey, other than embarrassing himself, what's Carl Lewis been up to these days? Is he still involved in T&F in any way?
Armyrunner

Postby BillVol » Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:02 am

Carl's version of the national anthem has got to be the funniest I've ever heard. I remember seeing it on Sports Center and when they threw it back to ESPN's Charley Steiner, he couldn't stop laughing. I wish I had that on tape.
BillVol

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:05 am

I see I'm not the only one who thinks Carl is a little bit strange...

Postby MJR » Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:18 am

He strikes me as being the Michael Jackson of T&F....
MJR

Postby Twister » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:56 am

Now that's funny(the MJ of T&F). I have thought that for a while.
Twister

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:26 am

If you want a good laugh check out his website, it's got fashion shots, acting videos, clothing designs etc. Is there anywhere online I can see his pitching ability? (perhaps he's more of a catcher? LOL )

Star-mangled banner

Postby BillVol » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:16 pm

BillVol

Re: Star-mangled banner

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:54 pm

I do have that on tape, Charlie Steiner was my hero.

Postby Trackshark » Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:14 am

ok -- I know you have all asked for it, but you can listen to his performance below. It is in Real One format audio.

http://www.unclekrinkly.com:9000/ramgen ... sehostname
Trackshark

Postby BillVol » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:41 pm

Thanks, Tom. I was trying to find that. That was even better than I remember! Incredible.
BillVol

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:55 pm

Is the tape of the pitch on the web, I would like to see that also, I have been working a lot and missed it on sportscenter.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:28 pm

I finally saw the pitch on Kimmel and I couldn't believe it. I thought people were exaggerating. The ball literally made it halfway. I thought that was funny until I heard the Anthem. Haha. Maybe he should stay away from other sporting venues. I almost feel sorry for him, tainting his image as this great athlete w/ these bonehead appearances...

Thanks for the site Tom.