Tennessee T & F (BillVol)

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Tennessee T & F (BillVol)

Postby CoachKoby » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:34 am

Didn't see much from the Vol's middle distance and distance runnners this past year. Do you think they've spent the past year getting use to J.J. Clark's coaching and next year they'll be much better? What do you think of Coach Clark?
CoachKoby

Re: Tennessee T & F (BillVol)

Postby BillVol » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:55 am

Marc Sylvester was not 100% at the NCAAs. We haven't had a top 1500m man for a long time. Maybe going back to Tim Pitcher in the early '90s? Middle distance and distance (1500 and up) have fallen off a bit in recent years, perhaps a reflection of Bill Webb's track background. Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing -- just a reflection of Webb's strenghts. Famiglietti was good. George Watts coaches the Vol distance guys. We have a top 800m recruit coming in next year, from Florida. I believe his name is Paul Cross.

The Lady Vols had a pretty good NCAA meet with Dee Dee Trotter leading the way. So far I'm happy with Coach Clark. It's good to get Joetta's brother to town! I'm sure having Jearl in Knoxville doesn't hurt things either. I gradually lost interest in the LVs when Terry Crawford left. It was tough seeing the program slide like it did. Myrtle Chester and that whole fiasco just about put the stake in the program. But I think they're coming back. I hope so! :-)
BillVol

Postby tandfman » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:02 am

Don't forget Nicole Cook. She made the final in both the NCAA and USATF Championships.
tandfman

Postby CoachKoby » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:52 am

You might want to look out for Doug Brown (the runner). First met him when he was at the University of South Florida. He ran one heck of a race (3k steeplechase) at the 2002 Conference USA Outdoor Championships. Believe he will be a junior this coming season.
CoachKoby