Market for Track meets on DVD?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Market for Track meets on DVD?

Postby lagsun » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:34 pm

I know there is a lot of complaints about lack of TV coverage of track and then when it is shown, people complain about the coverage (i.e. commentators, lack of field events, distance races, etc.). Does anyone know if it would be economically feasible to sell DVDs of track meets after the fact? From a technology standpoint it should be pretty easy to burn a DVD with straightforward menu of events, with each event having it owns chapter. I just don't know about the video rights and production costs, but I would guess there is enough of an built-in audience to make it a profitable venture.

I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount to buy DVDs of the major meets. Of course the production would have to go beyond the typical tv broadcast and show each event in its entirety or as much as possible. I'd even pre-order/subscribe before hand to get the big championship meets and Golden League meets on DVD. Who would sell/market this? USATF? IAAF? TF&N? What do you think? Is it even feasible?

John
lagsun

Re: Market for Track meets on DVD?

Postby abinferno » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:36 pm

I'm in. However, is it feasible? Probably not, unfortunately.
abinferno

Re: Market for Track meets on DVD?

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:38 pm

There is an awesome Pole Vault DVD that came out this year. http://www.neovault.com/
polevaultpower