NCAA athletes sadly penalized ?...

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

NCAA athletes sadly penalized ?...

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:50 am

I feel sad to see as many observers said on
this board that most of the NCAA champs never
really had the possibility to really rival with
the pros, knowing that one poor little week is
obviously a too short to get another peak of
excellence against the pros...
Where is equality of chances to make the Team?
Hope next year for the Olympic Trials the same
ridiculous calendar won't be established.
It would be as if these promising young talents
had to run with stones in their pockets...

Re: NCAA athletes sadly penalized ?...

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:08 am

Olympic Trials are slated for July 9-18th. I
would assume the NCAA will once again be early-mid June. They should have a plenty of time next
year to get ready.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:48 am

I agree, just ask Sanya Richards and Raasin McIntosh in the women's 400 meters and 400 meter hurdles, or even Daniel Lincoln in the men's steeplechase.

Postby magpie » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:44 am

also ask jorge torres, ed torres, adam tenforde . . . getting the usatf and the ncaa on the same page would be nice, but we are talking about the usatf and the ncaa here.
magpie

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:58 am

I agree. I would have loved to scene Adam Steele and Mitch Potter run fresh against the likes of Calvin Harrison and Tyree, whom both hadn't raced in over a month and came in ready to roll. Mitch still gave a brave effort, but it was obvious that most of the collegians were plain out of gas.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:50 pm

actually there were more collegiates that made the team than i thought. lincoln was a surprise especially since he had run so many races last week. i think the sprinters who had to double and run the relays at ncaa got hurt the most.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:00 pm

so should the usatf consider the ncaa's schedule? or should the ncaa schedule to fit the agenda of top athletes. torres made his priorities and did what he needed to do to reach a goal of his. if some of those other top athletes made it their priority to go to the worlds they would have made similar choices. i cant say im happy about lincoln making the team in the steeple since i think holding hands across the finish line is probably the most anti-competitive and wimpy thing ever to do. the only thing that makes it close to ok is the fact that it wasnt his main event, but still it was a very weak thing to do. personally i think the ncaa should have given two 2nd place trophies in that race. oh well, sorry about the rant. athletes should get their priorities straight. jeremy scott went to the worlds in england rather than compete in d3 nationals indoors. what is more important? i guess it depends upon the individual concerned.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:26 am

Did the collegiate athletes really have a disadvantage? In 2001, there was three weeks between the NCAA and USATF, and only ten collegians made the top three at the USATF meet, with only one win. This year, it seems that a collegian made the USA team (pending qualifying standard) in almost every event. Can anybody count it up for us?