TV Track This Weekend--SStepele Live!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

TV Track This Weekend--SStepele Live!

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:28 pm

Walt Murphy’s News and Results Service
(c) Copyright 2003-all rights reserved. May not be reprinted or retransmitted without permission.

The good news is that there will be lots of track on TV this weekend. The bad news is that the NCAA Division One Championships will be shown on CBS on Saturday from 3-5pm(EDT), while there will be a 1-hour overlap with NBC's live coverage of the U.S. Championships, which will be shown from 4-6pm(EDT).

As I always stress, nothing is guaranteed in TV, especially on live shows, but the plan is to show quite a bit (if not all) of the men's steeplechase. Other events scheduled for the show include the semis and final of the men's 110-hurdles, the finals of the men's and women's 400-meters, the semi-finals of the men's 400-meter hurdles, the final of the women's 400-hurdles, taped coverage of Friday's 100-meter finals, the finishes of the men's and women's 5000-meters, and what could be a classic women's 1500-meters, with NCAA Champion Tiffany McWIlliams prepared to take on veterans Regina Jacobs and Suzy Favor Hamilton.

Finally, on Sunday, ESPN2 will have 90 minutes of live coverage of the final day of the U.S. Champs (4-5:30pm/EDT).

Re: TV Track This Weekend--SStepele Live!

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:29 pm

And they're also going to show the steeple in addition to the SStepele(:-)

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:01 am

I hope I'm wrong, but I didn't see any cameras filming any part of the 5k's.

The night wasn't extremely warm and I saw many a camera crew packing it up early.

I realize only 1 camera is needed to show the last 5 seconds of each 5k, I just didn't see any crews left at that time of the night.

Matter of fact, where you still there Walt?

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:46 pm

The steeple was exciting, Lincoln still looked good

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:42 pm

i watched the first hour of the ncaa meet then switched to the usatf. nbc did a much better job even with a live coverage, cbs was very subpar even with a week delay.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:22 pm

NBC did an excellent job today. We're all usually putting them down, but two hours was great and I can't wait until tomorrow. I always like Dwight Stones and Steve Holman is getting better all of the time. I chuckled over the shameless plugs which Dwight gave for the Vault Girls calendar!

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:57 am

It was good of Walt Murphy t alert steeplechase fans about the extensive coverage of men's race.

The men's steeple coverage Saturday was good despite the switch to head-on camera view at water jumps, negating the potential for showing would-be steeplers how to approach that barrrier.

Now I hope that Sunday's TV coverage will include at least a full minute or two of Briana Shook's great steeple victory with the fastest-ever time by an American woman in a race using the standard 3.66m water jump.

I also hope there will be some video and audio on Shook's tactical style: go out fast and open up a gap too big for stay-behind pack members to recover.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:11 pm

I thought the first 30-50 min. were slow, but things picked up nicely the rest of the show. I was definitely happy with the steeple allotment.