Golden West Invite (National Records Pole Vault)

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Golden West Invite (National Records Pole Vault)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:30 pm

I was at the Golden West invite today and two national high school records were set in the pole vault today!

Not Too Shabby!

Re: Golden West Invite (National Records Pole Vault)

Postby oldvaulter » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:36 pm

How about telling us what the records were and who set them?
oldvaulter

Postby BBCAC Alum » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:54 pm

There is a link to the GWI results on the T&FN site.
BBCAC Alum

Postby oldvaulter » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:02 pm

>There is a link to the GWI results on the T&FN
>site.

Yes, but those results aren't posted yet. I did some searching however, and found out that the boys' record was set by Tommy Skipper at 18'3", and the girls' record by Kira Costa at 13'8.5".

Once upon a time, long ago, I also broke the national high school record in the pole vault at the Golden West Invitational. I have some sense of how these vaulters must be feeling today. What a great day for the high school pole vault!
oldvaulter

Postby vaulter83 » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:57 pm

Old vaulter, I'm trying to figure out who you are. Did you happen to grow up in a logging town but now work as a firefighter? Just curious, I may be completely off. By the way Skipper may have made 18-6 but apparently his bigger poles didn't make it to Sacramento. I'm guessing he made the record height on 4.90m poles but needed 5m poles.
vaulter83

Postby oldvaulter » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:05 pm

>Old vaulter, I'm trying to figure out who you
>are.

First guess was wrong, but I'll let you keep guessing for awhile..., but I'll give you a few hints.

I broke the old national record, which had stood for six years, by one-half inch. My national record at the Golden West Invitational lasted less than a year before it was broken by another vaulter. And here's another (big) hint: The Golden West was still in Los Angeles when I competed there.
oldvaulter

Postby polevaultpower » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:06 am

First guess was wrong, but I'll
>let you keep guessing for awhile..., but I'll
>give you a few hints.

I broke the old national
>record, which had stood for six years, by
>one-half inch. My national record at the Golden
>West Invitational lasted less than a year before
>it was broken by another vaulter. And here's
>another (big) hint: The Golden West was still in
>Los Angeles when I competed there.

I was going to guess Paul WIlson, but I think that would still be off by a few years.
polevaultpower

Postby KEL » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:23 am

Skipper's older brother, Art, still holds the American H.S. record for javelin. Tragically Art died 2 or 3 years ago.
Are there other siblings to hold American H.S. records?
KEL

Postby oldvaulter » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:55 am

>I was going to guess Paul WIlson, but I
>think that would still be off by a few years.

Paul Wilson broke my record.
oldvaulter

Postby oldvaulter » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:10 am

>Skipper's older brother, Art, still holds the
>American H.S. record for javelin. Tragically Art
>died 2 or 3 years ago.
Are there other siblings
>to hold American H.S. records?

Good question! We might have brothers/sisters on record setting relays, but the first that comes to my mind doesn't quite fulfill your criteria: Carl and Carol Lewis. Carl had the national high school record in the long jump, and Carol still has the American junior record in the same event.
oldvaulter

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:02 pm

Ahh, O.V., how much higher is the Claremont HS record after all these years?

Postby gh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:22 pm

old vaulter wrote:

>Paul Wilson broke my record.>>

I have to admit I had to cheat and look it up, cuz for the life of me I didn't know who had preceded Wilson (I guessed John Cramer, but that was wrong), and I won't blow OV's cover, but to illustrate just what happened to the vault in the early '60s, note that he set the HSR at 15-1/2 in 1963.

In February of '64, Wilson (a junior) became only the third prep 15-footer ever, clearing 15-3. By the end of the year he was up to 16-0 and by the end of his senior year was up to 16-6 3/4. OV (no offense) had been relegated to oblivion. In two seasons his HSR was a foot and half in the rear view mirror.
gh

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:19 am

I cheated too... I asked him who he was. I couldn't find any records online that went that far back for high school records!
polevaultpower

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:01 am

From memory (I'm at work without any reference books), Jim Brewer was first HSer over 15ft, and the second was Marc Savage - I think

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:02 am

From memory (I'm at work without any reference books), Jim Brewer was first HSer over 15ft, and the second was Marc Savage - I think

Postby oldvaulter » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:45 am

>Ahh, O.V., how much higher is the Claremont HS
>record after all these years?

OK, you all did your homework. But Tom C (I think) and Richard Hymans (for sure) get the award for knowing without "cheating" (looking it up). Garry got all the details right on the mark.

I started vaulting in seventh grade (1958) and the first goal I set for myself was to break Jim Brewer's national HS record of 15'0". I finally got it on my last try of my last meet of my senior year, the Golden West Invitational on June 22, 1963 (fortieth anniversary coming up this Sunday). I was very lucky that no one else broke that record in the meantime. As Garry said, this record lasted until February, 1964, when Paul Wilson vaulted 15'3". I remember vividly seeing that mark in the newspaper. I sent Paul a congratulatory telegram and met him shortly after. Though Paul was shy and aloof, we became friends and he was always particularly warm towards me -- maybe because of that telegram. I became a huge Paul Wilson fan -- I loved his beautiful vaulting. I saw his 16'6.75" in 1965, his HS best.

So I was very lucky to squeeze in a record between two of the real greats of the high school pole vault, Jim Brewer and Paul Wilson. There haven't been a lot of HS record holders and most of them have been great HS vaulters -- as I said, I was lucky and in the "right place at the right time". I think the progression of record holders is (approximately, not sure on exactly what happened in 1981 -- whether Duplantis briefly held the record before Dial went over 18'; also not sure if someone might have exceeded Carrigan's record before Stubblefield got 17-6 in 1980):

Brewer->Savage->Wilson->Carrigan->Stubblefield->Dial->Richards->Eschbach->Skipper

To answer Tom C's question, quoted above, my mark still stands as the school record at Claremont High School, though barely. No one came close for a long time, but late last summer I was contacted by a student-athlete from Claremont High School named Graeme Hoste who had tracked me down on the internet and presented me with a long list of questions about my pole vaulting career. He didn't mention initially that he was a vaulter with his sights set on my school record, but I guessed that. He was beginning his junior year and had a best of 13'6". Since then we've had a very active correspondence in which I've had the pleasure of getting to know this fine young man, and of having the opportunity to give him a lot of encouragement and advice. I am delighted to report that Graeme had a great season, finishing fifth at the recent California state meet with his season best vault and first fifteen footer at 15'0" -- missing my school record by a mere half inch. He'll get that school record very soon if he competes this summer, or else easily next year. Watch for Graeme at the state meet next year, where I pick him to upset Ryan Shuler for a surprise win.
oldvaulter

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:09 pm

pardon my disjointed memory. who was the up and coming vaulter - same era as wilson/seagren ... who was parlyzed via a trampolene accident. was it wilson?

Postby tafnut » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:27 pm

OV aka MS, I looked you up and have actually heard of you! I vaulted in HS in the 60's, so that must be it. I have to contradict you: "right place at the right time" is grossly oversimplifying the fact that you were the 'best ever' when you vaulted.
tafnut

Postby 197hjsteve » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:43 pm

surely you are not thinking of Brian Sternberg, who was a WR holder in the early 60's. He was not "up and coming", he was there !

If I have my years straight he was paralyzed in a trampoline accident in 1963. By the end of that year his WR of about 16' 7" had been boosted by Pennel to a shade over 17'.
197hjsteve

Postby 197hjsteve » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:43 pm

surely you are not thinking of Brian Sternberg, who was a WR holder in the early 60's. He was not "up and coming", he was there !

If I have my years straight he was paralyzed in a trampoline accident in 1963. By the end of that year his WR of about 16' 7" had been boosted by Pennel to a shade over 17'.
197hjsteve

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:43 pm

>pardon my disjointed memory. who was the up and
coming vaulter - same era as wilson/seagren ...
who was parlyzed via a trampolene accident. was
it wilson?<

No, it was Brian Sternberg.

Postby oldvaulter » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:17 pm

It was Brian Sternberg who was tragically paralyzed in a trampoline accident in 1963, not too long after setting the world record of 16'8" at the Compton Invitational that year. I was there and saw that vault. I saw Sternberg a few years later when I competed in an indoor meet in Seattle. He gave out the awards. He was in a wheelchair and had become very thin. It was sad to see him in that state, he had been such a magnificent athlete.

I was at UC Berkeley in the Fall of 1963 and heavily into the trampoline myself. My college roommate at the time was Dan Millman, the then-current world trampoline champion. After Sternberg's injury, everyone got panicked about my trampolining and I was put under a lot of pressure to stop. Willful adolescent that I was, I didn't, but rather got even more into trampolining. I thought it was kind of crazy that people thought I would somehow be more vulnerable to an accident simply because I was a pole vaulter/trampolinist, like Sternberg.

I haven't pole vaulted since 1966, but I have continued trampolining all my life and still practice every day. I have taught and performed on trampoline all these years.
oldvaulter

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:07 am

"up and coming' ... your right - my bad ... i was brain freezed on 'steinhoff', but didn't quite ring true. So blame it on a brain freeze. I too saw the compton meet - one of my first. Don't make em like that any more - .

had an older bro who was a HS jr in 63 and distance runner/PVr. just learning the glass. never got the 'hang' of it as he broke some poles and also broke his foot. did do ~13', 1:58 and high 4:2s - an unlikely combo and not too bad for HS then.

Seemed then was the heyday for the vault. Sawdust to foam pieces to .... Pretty frequent W and US records. And GW was THE (only?) post season T&F event.

We were convinced (as I think those much more knowledgable) that Sternberg had much more in him.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:46 pm

OV - You must be none other than MARC SAVAGE!

Postby oldvaulter » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:50 pm

>OV - You must be none other than MARC SAVAGE!

Yes, but who the hell is Marc Savage?
oldvaulter

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:36 pm