ncaa format kills chances for worlds

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

ncaa format kills chances for worlds

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:49 pm

the last t&f news predicted that a lot of the collegiate athletes will have very little chance to make the us worlds team. it seems that a lot of the collegiae athletes will be so beat up they will not even show up in stanford next week.
a lot of them have been competing non stop since the start of the calendar year. and this year they had even more competitions than ever with the regionals in addition to qualifying rounds in most events at the ncaas. with the exception of sanya richards (women's 400), allen simms (men's tj) and christian cantwell (men's sp) i dont see any others with a chance to make the team in an individual event.

usatf format kills chances for worlds

Postby magpie » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:53 pm

rather
magpie

Re: ncaa format kills chances for worlds

Postby CoachKoby » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:58 am

So, what do you think the solution is to this situation? Don't bring up a challenge w/o a solution.
CoachKoby

Postby bubba » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:35 am

The solution has been brought up many times- move USATF Nationals so that it corresponds with the break in the Euro season. Many other countries do this.

And to be honest I'm not real high on having collegians at Worlds. It's a good experience for them but few can compete at their best in late August.
bubba

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:54 am

your talking about only a hand-full of college athletes. If they have a good coach they are going to peak for a couple of races, worlds being one, if they have a snowballs chance of making it to the finals. the previous response is the correct one, us needs to line its season with the Euro. season.

Postby blacklily » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:07 pm

>The solution has been brought up many times- move
>USATF Nationals so that it corresponds with the
>break in the Euro season. Many other countries
>do this.

And to be honest I'm not real high on
>having collegians at Worlds. It's a good
>experience for them but few can compete at their
>best in late August.

One better. Not given us the stupid regional format to begin with.
blacklily

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:22 pm

Pourquoi?

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:52 pm

What collegians realistically have a chance at making the Worlds team?

Lee? Nah. Lincoln, probably, since he's so fit and the steeple is a bit down right now.

Torres? Probably, but he's running the 5000.

If anything, I'd say that more rounds for regionals and NCAA's will help these athletes in the long run (no pun intended!). Running rounds is a skill and needs to be learned.

Postby gh » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:46 am

>the last t&f news predicted that a lot of the
>collegiate athletes will have very little chance
>to make the us worlds team. it seems that a lot
>of the collegiae athletes will be so beat up they
>will not even show up in stanford next week. >

whoa doggie! I don't think we said that at all. What we printed was quotes expressing the feeling that some collegiate coaches were very concerned that the conference/regionals/nationals would make it tough for sprinters to be at their best. Nothing more than that.
gh

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:51 pm

you are right !
most of them cant even make the finals...

Postby dl » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:18 am

I think many collegians who'll compete at USATF won't do as well as they did in Sacramento, but it won't be because the meets are too close or because they're worn out from regionals. It'll be because they can't get as psyched up for USATF in the same way as they do for a collegiate meet, especially one as amazing as we saw in Sacramento the past 4 days. Wow!
dl

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:58 pm

plus the competition is much tougher in the usatf meet especially in the sprints and hurdles

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:30 pm

It's not the format that's the problem. And Regionals obviously was not a problem either. The 'problem' is that the collegian is geared for a much earlier season. That's not really a problem, it's just the way it has to be, given the school year. If and when they are good enough to be a WC contender, the coaches usually find a way to keep them rested early on - and if it doesn't work out - oh well - that wasn't their main objective anyway. The NCAA'a are and should be a goal in its own right. Anything after that for a collegian is just serendipity.

But we really do have to move USATF later!

Postby Armyrunner » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:45 pm

I dunno...if I'd just run 44.57 or 44.58, and I was 20-22 yrs old, had a week to rest up, I might just show up at the Nationals and give it a shot...and if I were Tyree, Alvin, Calvin, Jerome, et al, I'd be a little worried!
Armyrunner

Postby Powell » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:44 am

>The solution has been brought up many times- move
>USATF Nationals so that it corresponds with the
>break in the Euro season. Many other countries
>do this.

Many EUROPEAN countries do this, but it's hardly a good idea flying across the Atlantic for just a couple of days, only to go back to the European circuit right after that. One of two things would happen: a) the US stars would miss the first part of the Euro season to prepare for the nationals, which would make the circuit less exciting and deprive the US athletes of some money-earning opportunities, or b) the stars would arrive at the nationals jet-lagged and you'd end up with lots of upsets and a second-rate national team at World Champs in many events. Either way, not a good idea.
Powell

Postby dl » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:28 pm

I'm sure many (most) collegians will perform worse at USATF than at NCAA's, but don't blame regionals or the short break between the two meets. It'll simply be because collegiate athletes get "up" for NCAA's more than any other meet. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't doubt if Steele never runs faster than he did in Sacramento.
dl

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:41 pm

a)
>the US stars would miss the first part of the
>Euro season to prepare for the nationals, which
>would make the circuit less exciting and deprive
>the US athletes of some money-earning
>opportunities, or b) the stars would arrive at
>the nationals jet-lagged and you'd end up with
>lots of upsets and a second-rate national team at
>World Champs in many events. Either way, not a
>good idea.

A. The US stars would USE the first part of the Euro season to prepare for the nationals.

B. Do they arrive jet-lagged at the Olymics or the World Champs? Anyone capable of winning a national title will do what he (or she) has to do to get to the starting line ready to go, including allowing time to process jet-lag. It is highly foolish to assume otherwise.

These are adults competing, not kindergarteners.