ties in the jumps at Cal HS State meet

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

ties in the jumps at Cal HS State meet

Postby 197hjsteve » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:21 pm

I just got my eTN, and noticed an unusual # of ties in the HJ and PV, both boys and girls, icluding a tie for first in the girls HJ.

Putting the tie for 1st aside just for a second, it seems unusual that there were so many ties for various non-winning places. Does not California use the "fewer misses at last tied height" and then "fewer total misses" tie breakers ?

And as to the 1st place tie, do they not use a jump off if the 2 aforementioned tie breakers don't get the job done... or maybe the 2 gals mutually decided to call it a day ?

Just curious.
197hjsteve

Re: ties in the jumps at Cal HS State meet

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:04 pm

No clue about that Steve. They are meant to go down 1 cm. until someone wins. Actually when I've been watching competitions where this happens I find it incredibly tedious....there's no excitement to me in seeing the bar go down. I've always hoped they would shake hands and agree to a draw, perhaps that what happened. (Exception: OG/WC etc. isn't that how Louise Ritter won her gold? That was exciting)

Postby tracknut » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:51 pm

There was not a Tie in the girls HJ. Day the winner, won by lesser misses.
tracknut

Postby 197hjsteve » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:02 am

then eTN has it wrong, they say girls HJ was a tie. Maybe they then are wrong on all those other ties as well. eTN inputter, can you clarify ?
197hjsteve

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:02 am

Yes, many of the ties on the results were in error. The results I read from the meet itself had them wrong...so that is the genesis of the problem, methinks.

Postby dl » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:55 am

Not to pass the buck, but HyTek, the system which generates much of the results in this country, has changed somehow this year and is failing to break many ties in the verticals. We'll sort it out eventually, but for now, we're off to Sacramento!
dl