Events that should be eliminated

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Events that should be eliminated

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:56 am

The answer to the walk debate is simple enough. Simply attatch a sensor to the bottom of each shoe - 1 of which must be in contact with the ground at all times. If neither is in contact the walker is penalized/disqualified. Seems completely doable in this day and age - probably could have a few techogeeks here locally devise the system in 2 days if I bought them enough Mountain Dew.

I can't stand watching the walk events simply because I believe most are not walking - if I knew the rules were enforced I at least can respect the event.

I don't want to see the walks discontinued - why take away a fan base when we are trying to grow the sport? Simply enforce the rules electronically.

Wonder how the walkers would respond to being monitored electronically?

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:24 am

Let's just hope high school federations wake up. Perhaps the mile should be eliminated all together, with the exception of special invitationals like Arcadia and the GW. There is a reluctance to change from 1600m to 1500m because people are used to relating to "mile" times, even though 1600m is not a mile. If federations were willing to change all running events to meters, why not complete the plunge and get the 1500m on the books. It serves no purpose to keep 1600m. We are the only country that runs that event. Look on the bright side, if you were a young athlete, would you like to run an event that is 100m shorter in distance. Come on U.S., get in line with the international community.

Postby MJR » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:08 am

>The answer to the walk debate is simple enough.
>Simply attatch a sensor to the bottom of each
>shoe - 1 of which must be in contact with the
>ground at all times. If neither is in contact
>the walker is penalized/disqualified. Seems
>completely doable in this day and age - probably
>could have a few techogeeks here locally devise
>the system in 2 days if I bought them enough
>Mountain Dew.

It has been tried on a very highly technical level. The systems are not reliable enough to work without an acceptable failure rate.

>I can't stand watching the
>walk events simply because I believe most are
>not walking - if I knew the rules were enforced
>I at least can respect the event.

Most Intl & Natl level athletes are complying with the rules. Exceptions are, just that, exceptions. The rules are enforced, for the most part, although there is a definite need to better educate judges and coaches as to what constitutes legal walking from a biomechanical standpoint.

>I don't
>want to see the walks discontinued - why take
>away a fan base when we are trying to grow the
>sport? Simply enforce the rules
>electronically.

Wonder how the walkers would
>respond to being monitored electronically?

The RWers want to remain being judged by people, although better educated ones. If we start using non-human judging, then we need to do the same for hurdling and relay exchanges too. This would be the end of the sport as we know it.
MJR

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:29 am

I disagree that non-human judging will ruin our sport - we already use it to determine false starts - no one is complaining there. The beauty of our sport is how totally OBJECTIVE it is. No points for "form". The reason walks are scoffed at by so many is that they are so SUBJECTIVE (judges). It is not too difficult to observe a hurdle infraction - only slightly more difficult to observe a exchange zone infraction. Compare that to trying to watch each of 30,000 or so strides of each of 100+ competitors in a 50k - it's just not doable to the level of "OBJECTIVITY" required by the average T&F fan.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:40 am

Before 1980 we ran in N.J. like every other state the mile and the 2-mile. When we went metric in 1980 we ran the 1500 and the 3000. Less than two years later we switched to the 1600 and the 3200. The reason given was that the national association (to this day I don't know what association) said that the 1500 and 3000 was too confusing for the spectators and athletes because the races were not full laps. The funny thing was that as a coach and spectator I didn't see any such confusion. Only the track purists look at them as being "bastard distances." All it would take to running a full mile or 2 mile would be a couple of extra lines drawn across the track. I don't think that will happen. Some things don't make logical sense and that's just one of them.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:41 am

>OK- this one should be fun. What events should
>be eliminated from track and field- and
>why?

My pick: race walking. Why: Boring.
>Chases off fans. Inconsistent with the rest of
>track. (It's not just about getting to the
>finish first- it's about getting to the finish
>first while adhering to a set of rules about
>knee position and contact w/ground.)

I agree with this. The walks are inconsistent with what track is about. The walks suck. They suck more than anything has ever sucked before. I also agree that the high schools should either go to a true mile or to 1500 meters. My preferance would be the mile. How hard is it to have a waterfall line 9 or so meters back of the finish line?

Postby The Flash » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:20 am

Agreed. Why not run a more standard race? Just run the mile, or run the 1500.
The Flash

Previous