Ohio State Track Meet Performance

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Ohio State Track Meet Performance

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:46 pm

Just a note - the top performance at the meet this year had to be Jeff See running a 4:06 1600m (63,63,64,56) as a SOPH.!! The guy ran 4:15 last year as a Freshman at the state meet, but today he had a breakthrough and looked to be at a different level. I'll try to post some other performances at the meet on Sunday unless someone beats me to it.

Re: Ohio State Track Meet Performance

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:32 am

I might go with Tianna Madison's 20' 5 3/4" LJ, but See's time in consideration of his age is remarkable.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:38 am

Good call - she was fantastic - a Jesse Owens style 4 gold medal performance.
100m 11.72
200m 24.02
LG 20'5 3/4" (state outdoor record)
4x100m - first (State meet record)

Also honorable mention to Theodore Ginn from Cleveland Glenville. 3 first, 1 second.
110H 13.84
300H 36.73 (stutter stepped 3x - not pretty but fast)
200m 21.16 (second but coming as it did only 20 min. after the 300H quite strong)
3rd leg of winning 4x4 (3:14) - didn't get split but darn quick.

Ginn is only a JR. and will likely be a 35.? 300H next year - another young 400m hurdler in the pipeline...

Postby DIII Coach » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:07 pm

El supremo,
you sure about See's splits, I seem to remember having him at 3:05 at 1200??? In either event, he was very tough. The women 1600 runners ran well also. In Division I, Infeld from Beaumont went 4:49 for a new meet record and was followed by a freshman at 4:53. The freshman doesn't run cc-plays soccer instead. Both parents ran for Bowling Green in the early to mid 80's
DIII Coach

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:21 pm

I believe Ann Henderson ran faster in '78 as a junior for a mile. However, in Ohio, all yards times were swept under the rug as though they didn't exist. Ann ran even faster as a senior, but false started at the state meet.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:03 pm

D111 coach -

You could be right, but I think he was 3:09 or 3:10 by the stadium clock. He had to be quick on the last lap to put 3+ seconds on second place.

Either way it was great to watch.

Hey - as an Ohio coach - what is your take on running the 1600 vs. the mile in High School - just curious since it is a constant topic.

P.S. - read in paper that See is coached by former Miami U. standout Dave Fultz - Dave has the background to get the most out of See in the coming years. I think See could provide Chris Nelloms-like excitement in the coming years and the State Meet.

Postby DIII Coach » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:05 pm

I have always thought that 1600 didn't make as much sense as either the mile or the 1500. We are constantly talking about conversions and it's frustrating sometimes. The worst of it is as someone else wrote about the old english distance times being swept aside when they are so obviously superior. Not only is there Ann Henderson's time, but Alan Scharsu's 2 mile of 8:44 gets pushed aside. Our link to a rather glorious past in Ohio is summarily shunted and that not only shows disrespect to some legendary athletes, but it doesn't allow a proper historical perspective for the current crop of stars.
DIII Coach

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:29 pm

>I have always thought that 1600 didn't make as
>much sense as either the mile or the 1500. We
>are constantly talking about conversions and it's
>frustrating sometimes. The worst of it is as
>someone else wrote about the old english distance
>times being swept aside when they are so
>obviously superior. Not only is there Ann
>Henderson's time, but Alan Scharsu's 2 mile of
>8:44 gets pushed aside. Our link to a rather
>glorious past in Ohio is summarily shunted and
>that not only shows disrespect to some legendary
>athletes, but it doesn't allow a proper
>historical perspective for the current crop of
>stars.

Perhaps it's a problem of over-simplification... the record keepers of many state associations may be pressed to fit all the records on one page (it fits nicely in the program, doesn't it?) For the sake of history, I appreciate seeing the "Old records" lists showing what people ran before meters. At least the history is preserved...

At a minimum, maintain the old "yards" record in addition to the metric record. At least until the "metric" record is clearly (beyond a reasonable doubt) superior. Growin up, I remember seeing done numerous times: there may be a "shared" record in the 200m/220y until it was clear that the 220y time was truly the "old record"