World Indoors entries, withdrawals & team news [Cain out]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: World Indoors entries, withdrawals & team news

Postby norunner » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:47 am

Powell wrote:I still doubt it will take more than 4700 to get on the podium this time around.
Doesn't matter, without clear favourites it promises to be another fight like Moscow last year and that would be a LOT of fun.
norunner

Postby Powell » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:53 am

Polish team for WIC (with SBs):

Men
60 Dariusz Kuć (6.60), Remigiusz Olszewski (6.63)
400 Rafał Omelko (46.29), Jakub Krzewina (46.54)
800 Adam Kszczot (1:45.19), Marcin Lewandowski (1:45.56)
3000 Łukasz Parszczyński (7:49.26)
60H Dominik Bochenek (7.63)
PV Paweł Wojciechowski (5.76), Robert Sobera (5.75)
LJ Adrian Strzałkowski (7.96)
TJ Karol Hoffmann (16.71)
SP Tomasz Majewski (20.70)
4x400 Omelko, Krzewina, Patryk Dobek (46.77), Kacper Kozłowski (46.76), Michał Pietrzak (47.26), Łukasz Krawczuk (47.28)

Women
60 Marta Jeschke (7.31), Anna Kiełbasińska (7.31)
400 Justyna Święty (52.84), Małgorzata Hołub (53.03)
800 Angelika Cichocka (2:01.14)
1500 Katarzyna Broniatowska (4:09.01), Danuta Urbanik (4:10.07)
3000 Renata Pliś (8:53.74)
60H Urszula Bhebhe (8.22)
HJ Kamila Lićwinko (2.00), Justyna Kasprzycka (1.94)
PV Anna Rogowska (4.76)
LJ Teresa Dobija (6.68)
TJ Anna Jagaciak (13.69)
SP Anna Wloka (17.06)
Pen Karolina Tymińska (4530)
4x400 Święty, Hołub, Ewelina Ptak (53.38), Patrycja Wyciszkiewicz (53.64), Joanna Linkiewicz (53.91), Jolanta Kajtoch (53.89)

Obviously the largest team ever, which is understandable for the host nation, but it also has quite a few medal chances. Lićwinko, Majewski (he'll need to do a lot better than he has so far this winter, but he should be capable of that), Kszczot and Lewandowski, Rogowska (inconsistent, but if she gets it right on the day, she could actually win it), male vaulters (anyone in the field has a chance there), Cichocka (great form this year in what hasn't been a high-quality event overall), even the men's relay... possibly Tymińska, if she comes back to something like her best.
Powell

Postby shivfan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:21 pm

Jamaica

"Team: Women — Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Veronica Campbell Brown, Kaliese Spencer, Kimberly Williams, Stephenie Ann McPherson, Patricia Hall, Natoya Goule, Anneisha McLaughlin, Monique Morgan, Indira Spence, Sophie Smellie, Verone Chambers.

Men — Nesta Carter, Edino Steele, Kimmari Roach, Akheem Gauntlett, Andrew Riley, Damar Forbes, O'Dayne Richards, Jermaine Brown, Allodin Fothergill, Dane Hyatt, Errol Nolan."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/VC ... m_16140534
Last edited by shivfan on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
shivfan

Postby AS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:09 am

The huge Australian contingent:

Sally Pearson w60mH
Collis Birmingham m3000m
Fabrice Lapierre mLong Jump

Lapierre's selection is an odd one. As far as I can find his best performance is 7.79mAi this season.
Birmingham ran a 3.54 mile outdoor last weekend. Has never raced indoor (age 29).
AS

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 am

It will be interesting to see what Goule can do in the 800.
26mi235

Postby pakillo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:04 pm

Serbia and Bulgaria with 2 member teams-
SRB- Ivana Shpanović, Asmir Kolashinats
BUL- Georgi Ivanov, Radoslava Mavrodieva

Brazil- Keila Costa(TJ), Franciela Krasucki(60 m), Anderson Henriques(400 m), Mauro Vinicius "Duda"da Silva(LJ), Augusto Dutra, Thiago Braz, Fabiana Murer.
pakillo

Postby smc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Makusha (LJ) and Mvumvure (60) will compete for Zimbabwe.
smc

Postby tandfman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 am

The worst withdrawal of all. Mary Cain out. Story linked on front page. :(
tandfman

Postby norunner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 am

tandfman wrote:The worst withdrawal of all. Mary Cain out. Story linked on front page. :(
Seriously, the worst? Not Dibaba, Ukhov, Pearson, Adams? A 17 year old withdrawing is the worst that can happen?
norunner

Postby aaronk » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 am

norunner wrote:
tandfman wrote:The worst withdrawal of all. Mary Cain out. Story linked on front page. :(
Seriously, the worst? Not Dibaba, Ukhov, Pearson, Adams? A 17 year old withdrawing is the worst that can happen?

Maybe from the WORLD perspective, but not from USA perspective!
We have a great team going, but you gotta admit, Cain is the name most NON-track people recognize in US T&F!

She may not be the BEST athlete (YET!!!), but she holds the most star power at this moment in time in this country!

Dibaba, Ukhov, even Adams and Pearson, are NOT household names in the US, except among we here at T&FN Message Board!
aaronk

Postby norunner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:44 am

aaronk wrote:
norunner wrote:

We have a great team going, but you gotta admit, Cain is the name most NON-track people recognize in US T&F!

She may not be the BEST athlete (YET!!!), but she holds the most star power at this moment in time in this country!

Dibaba, Ukhov, even Adams and Pearson, are NOT household names in the US, except among we here at T&FN Message Board!
And these american households, which as a general rule have zero interest in T&F, but somehow all know and love Mary Cain, will be devastated by the fact that she won't be able to compete at an indoor championship they also have zero interest in in a town they have never heard of? You guys really need to gain some perspective, check the social media you so love, 8000 followers on Twitter, 2800 likes on FB. There is a 17 year old german sprinter called Gina Lückenkemper, big talent, but probably almost unknown outside of german T&F circles, even she is more popular on FB than Mary.
norunner

Re: World Indoors entries, withdrawals & team news [Cain out

Postby Sasuke » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:40 pm

This is a big shame! Shw, apart from Aregawi, was a serious medal contender. I can foresee a double failure for Salazar, since I guess Rupp won't be close to medalling. Maybe he exaggerates with post races workout? :roll:
Sasuke

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:01 pm

norunner wrote:
aaronk wrote:
norunner wrote:

And these american households, which as a general rule have zero interest in T&F, but somehow all know and love Mary Cain, will be devastated by the fact that she won't be able to compete at an indoor championship they also have zero interest in in a town they have never heard of? You guys really need to gain some perspective, check the social media you so love, 8000 followers on Twitter, 2800 likes on FB. There is a 17 year old german sprinter called Gina Lückenkemper, big talent, but probably almost unknown outside of german T&F circles, even she is more popular on FB than Mary.

Star power from Cain? :lol: . A great joke of course.
In the track and field world she has certainly achieved a lot of hype and is fawned over by some very strange people.
Trouble is, she is teenager of considerable promise but remotely no world class honours, as yet.
American athletes are not the rest of the world for sure, and you could consider that on a Forum with so many informed fans, there might be be a little perspective. No such luck.!

As for the comment about the American public knowing of her or whatever, they don't even know 95 % of the worlds great athletes, so who cares about Twitter celebrity.

The big disappointment is the 60m sprints for men, losing Dasaolu,Vicaut, Perez and Collins , and you can probably count on one hand or half a finger the number of USA sports fans who have heard of any of the four guys.
lionelp1

Postby Dave » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:24 pm

lionelp1 wrote:....

Star power from Cain? :lol: . A great joke of course.
In the track and field world she has certainly achieved a lot of hype and is fawned over by some very strange people.
Trouble is, she is teenager of considerable promise but remotely no world class honours, as yet.

She is world ranked at a couple distances and was last year as well. So, no she does not yet have world level medals, but people have to know here name outside this board.
Dave

Postby aaronk » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Here we go again.....me being misquoted, misinterpreted, taken out of context.
Let me set things straight.

1. No, Cain is NOT the most popular athlete in the world, or even in the US.
2. Yes, it's true she's not known by 95% (Make that 99%!!) of the general sports-minded public, and especially not by the general public at large.
3. She would NOT have been a serious Gold medal contender in Sopot. Silver or Bronze, yes! (Depending on the pace!)
4. She does NOT have the most Twitter or Facebook followers amongst the T&F crowd, though it's fairly impressive she gained over 8000 followers considering she's tweeted exactly 13 times! (Many tweet 1000's of times!!)

That said, check out the advertising done for this year's Millrose and Boston meets (both NB and BU variety), or for the USATF meet!! Whose photo was used in the ad copy? That's correct! Mary Cain!
Now check out the stories written AFTER these meets (except maybe for USATF, where controversy & scandal ruled the headlines!!).
Whose race and result was featured??

Suffice to say, Mary Cain will be, and IS being missed already....just hours after she withdrew!
She was, and is, the best US prospect for a medal in the Women's 1500.
Heather Kampf is good.....VERY good.....but she'll probably wind up like Sarah Brown did in Moscow!

Let's hope Cain's entire season isn't finished!!

(Want some REALLY f--ked up shit?? Read the 4 pages---as of 2-3 hours ago--of Let'sRun's "discussion" about this! Hint: The 2nd or 3rd comment on there was about.....drugs!!! And many followed!!)
aaronk

Postby tandfman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:07 pm

norunner wrote:

I believe the people you mentioned have not withdrawn. Among those who have, Lavillenie is probably the worst, purely in terms of worldwide anticipation and attention.

But to an American fan, Cain's was the worst. I can't imagine that any US fan was not eagerly looking forward to seeing how she would fare on the world stage after her astonishing domestic indoor season. No, she is not the greatest athlete on our team (that may be Eaton). But she is the most exciting new face we've seen in a while. You don't have to be over-the-top nuts about her, the way a certain poster here is, to be very positive about her talent, her personality, her achievements and her extraordinary potential.

I, for one, am very disappointed that she won't be there.
tandfman

Postby gktrack » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:26 pm

lionelp1 wrote:The big disappointment is the 60m sprints for men, losing Dasaolu,Vicaut, Perez and Collins...

... and now Kim Collins? After his Berlin win just a couple days ago, obviously healthy, I was expecting him there, but l guess not...

This is all I could find as to why he won't be there...
http://zizonline.com/another-victory-for-kim-collins-favored-to-win-world-indoor-championship-gold-but-will-he-run/
gktrack

Postby ATK » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:14 pm

tandfman wrote: I can't imagine that any US fan was not eagerly looking forward to seeing how she would fare on the world stage after her astonishing domestic indoor season.
Not sure if your joking, but if not, your living in a box.
ATK

Postby tandfman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:20 pm

ATK wrote:
tandfman wrote: I can't imagine that any US fan was not eagerly looking forward to seeing how she would fare on the world stage after her astonishing domestic indoor season.

Not joking at all.
tandfman

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Cain not competing is a bit of a downer. Kid is good.
Dutra5

Postby gm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:43 pm

ATK wrote:

Why would he joke about that? And what U.S. track and field fan wouldn't be eager to see if Cain could hold her own against international indoor competition?
gm

Postby kuha » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:02 pm

gm wrote:
ATK wrote:

Why would he joke about that? And what U.S. track and field fan wouldn't be eager to see if Cain could hold her own against international indoor competition?

Agreed.
kuha

Postby gh » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:19 pm

we've got a bit of a cultural disconnect working here, methinks. The (vast) majority of people who read this board (and the majority who actually post) are American. This is an American based site and set up to cater to Americans.

We're thrilled to have hardcore fans from other parts of the world join us, and bring valuable perspective, but to trash the U.S. point of view, if I may be so bold, is rather bad manners.

I hate to see jingoism of any stripe, but if somebody is expressing a point of view on something that excites them, to put them down, to put it bluntly, sucks big time. Please don't.
gh

Postby tandfman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:52 pm

gh wrote:We're thrilled to have hardcore fans from other parts of the world join us, and bring valuable perspective, but to trash the U.S. point of view, if I may be so bold, is rather bad manners.

It also reflects an extremely provincial view of things. If Laura Muir had to withdraw from Sopot, I could well understand the disappointment of British fans. Why shouldn't Americans feel any differently about Mary Cain? I don't want to be rude myself, but I must say that anyone who is unaware of the excitement that Cain has created among US fans this year has simply not been paying attention to what has been featured prominently on this site (and of course in the printed T&FN as well). "Living in a box" is another way to put that.
tandfman

Postby ATK » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:21 pm

I didn't see it as trashing, and if so apologies...
But my point was that the post was extremely opinionated. It was said that you couldn't imagine a US fan who was not looking forward to Cain running at worlds. I'm a fan from the US, but I don't gain excitement watching Cain. Yes its great what she has been doing as many many more people are getting excited about it in general, but its simply just does not bring excitement to me as other events/athletes do.

At Milrose I sat next to some people who had no Idea who Marvin Bracy or Ryan Baliey were. The had no idea what the false start rule in the 60 was and though the guys still had 2 false starts each. I thought THAT was impossible, yet they could probably tell me every split of every race Cain had run this entire indoor season. I've even met fans who had no idea who Dwight Phillips was....

A US fan who only follows throws or who only follows jumps or sprints. I know many and just because Cain is doing absolutely amazing, doesn't mean then have to be excited to see her progress.

I just don't see how Cain by default represents the interest of the entire US Track and Field fan population.
ATK

Postby Fortius19 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:59 pm

Terrence Trammell is competing in the 60H???

That would be awesome! I heard this is his last year as a pro also.

I saw his name on the IAAF prov list. I thought he got THIRD in a CLOSE USATF indoor champs win. They all had the same time to the hundredth. I would love to see the photo finish. I didn't get to see the meet because my DVR taped the wrong channel!

And fourth was one hundredth back off that!
Fortius19

Postby gktrack » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:55 pm

Fortius19 wrote:Terrence Trammell is competing in the 60H???...

I don't think Trammell is running - but it's interesting to note that the USA is the only country that lists 3 members in each event, when only 2 can compete. Did all three have to be listed/entered so in a case like Mary Cain's late withdrawl, Heather Kampf was able to step right in?

Not at the WIC's is the Frenchman Lemaitre... not that I was expecting such, but I did notice he ran a nice PR (20.58) a few days ago in the i200 with a strong finish - video here...
http://www.sports.fr/athletisme/scans/metz-lemaitre-bat-son-record-sur-200-m-1017827/
gktrack

Postby Powell » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm

gktrack wrote:it's interesting to note that the USA is the only country that lists 3 members in each event, when only 2 can compete

Not the only one, there are a few other cases, like 3 Ethiopians in both men's and women's 3000. But it's the only way to make a substitution if one of your two expected participants gets injured; you can't enter an athlete who isn't on the preliminary entry list.
Powell

Postby Sasuke » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:40 am

The problem with Lemaitre is not his shape but his start who has been becoming worse in the years. He can't go to Sopot because if he did he couldn't contest the 200m and had to go in the 60m where he would be eliminated easily in the first run. Some athletes (200m specialists and 400hs specialists) can't perform well at WIC because their event is completely missing.
Sasuke

Postby icerunner » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:00 am

I pointed out last year that young athletes had to be very careful not to put to much workload on themselves early in their carrier. Jessica Judd's slight Niggle last year kept her out for the rest of the season. Does anyone know how she is doing now? Now Mary Cain's lower calf? I just hope Hinriksdottir is going to be careful. She did not risk running in the outdoor WC last year and I still think it was a wise decision.
icerunner

Postby Sasuke » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:16 am

icerunner wrote:I pointed out last year that young athletes had to be very careful not to put to much workload on themselves early in their carrier. Jessica Judd's slight Niggle last year kept her out for the rest of the season. Does anyone know how she is doing now? Now Mary Cain's lower calf? I just hope Hinriksdottir is going to be careful. She did not risk running in the outdoor WC last year and I still think it was a wise decision.

Anita (sorry but the surname is too difficult to write correctly) decided that way also because she did run and won both the WYC and the european junior championships. She had two major championships that summer and in both she ran three rounds (heats, semis and final); furthermore she competed for her country at the european team championships in, I think, 800/1500/4x400... she had a full season. This year there is much less, and she will probably run either european championships or WJC... in my opinion it's a good idea to run WIC.
Sasuke

Postby Powell » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:44 am

Sasuke wrote:Anita (sorry but the surname is too difficult to write correctly)

As it happens, most Icelanders don't have surnames, only patronymics (ending with 'son' or 'dottir', depending on sex), so referring to a person primarily by first name is actually the correct way.
Powell

Postby Gabriella » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:46 am

The whole Mary Cain discussion came about because tandfman said this was the "The worst withdrawal of all". He didn't say the worst US withdrawal, or the biggest disappointmet for US fans in his first post, hence norunner qustioning if this was bigger news than Dibabe, Uhkov and co.

This isn't about us silly non US fans being disrespectful to our "hosts". I am British but would be more upset if we saw big names from any nation withdraw, rather than an also ran from the British team. I would imagine a lot of people who follow the sport would feel the same. However, it does indeed sound like there is some cultural disconnect if the American way is to put greater 'value' on their own athletes over any athlete from any other nation.

It is a shame that this site is for American fans only. One would think that a T&F site would cater for all fans, especially as our sport covers multiple events which have few or no US contenders. I guess there should be no discussions on these forums of the mens steeplechase or women's hammer, seeing as though the US doesnt have a hope in hell of getting a medal in those events.

As for Cain's withdrawal, as a European and fan of the sport and all events and nations, it is indeed a blow she has pulled out. Especially with the recent hoo-ha at the US trials in middle distances. It would have been good to see if she could live up to the US hype. Alas, sh*t happens, but I think the championships will still be great without her.
Gabriella

Postby mump boy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:50 am

tandfman wrote:
gh wrote:We're thrilled to have hardcore fans from other parts of the world join us, and bring valuable perspective, but to trash the U.S. point of view, if I may be so bold, is rather bad manners.

It also reflects an extremely provincial view of things. If Laura Muir had to withdraw from Sopot, I could well understand the disappointment of British fans.

We would certainly be disappointed if Muir withdrew, she's my favourite UK athlete right now but it certainly wouldn't say it's the 'worst withdrawl of all' it wouldn't even be close
mump boy

Postby aaronk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:18 am

Seems most of the withdrawals or no-shows fall into 3 categories:

1. Injuries.
2. Their event isn't in the meet.
3. Just doesn't focus on, or like to run, indoors.

The first would include Lavillenie, Cain, any woman who's pregnant (though obviously NOT an injury!!!).
The second includes DT, JT, 3000SC, 400H, 10000, marathon and HT (in the WIC, there's no WT).
The third includes people like Jenny Simpson, Tirunesh Dibaba, Meseret Defar, Mo Farah and too many others to list.

But look at the entry list!
A pretty fair majority of the "true elites" are there!
This will be, DESPITE the withdrawals, injured, pregnant, and no-shows, a VERY good meet!!
aaronk

Postby lionelp1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:34 am

Gabriella wrote:The whole Mary Cain discussion came about because tandfman said this was the "The worst withdrawal of all". He didn't say the worst US withdrawal, or the biggest disappointmet for US fans in his first post, hence norunner qustioning if this was bigger news than Dibabe, Uhkov and co.

This isn't about us silly non US fans being disrespectful to our "hosts". I am British but would be more upset if we saw big names from any nation withdraw, rather than an also ran from the British team. I would imagine a lot of people who follow the sport would feel the same. However, it does indeed sound like there is some cultural disconnect if the American way is to put greater 'value' on their own athletes over any athlete from any other nation.

It is a shame that this site is for American fans only. One would think that a T&F site would cater for all fans, especially as our sport covers multiple events which have few or no US contenders. I guess there should be no discussions on these forums of the mens steeplechase or women's hammer, seeing as though the US doesnt have a hope in hell of getting a medal in those events.

As for Cain's withdrawal, as a European and fan of the sport and all events and nations, it is indeed a blow she has pulled out. Especially with the recent hoo-ha at the US trials in middle distances. It would have been good to see if she could live up to the US hype. Alas, sh*t happens, but I think the championships will still be great without her.

Sums up my views rather well in all 4 paragraphs. My thoughts are expressed similarly on our British site; enough to say that real fans are disappointed to be deprived of seeing how Cain would cope with world level expectations.
lionelp1

Postby norunner » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:47 am

lionelp1 wrote:enough to say that real fans are disappointed to be deprived of seeing how Cain would cope with world level expectations.
Even that isn' really true, if you look at the 1500m field we aren't exactly talking about the best of the world, except for Aregawi. I don't think anyone else from last years top 10 is competing in Sopot, so what would you have been able to see, how Cain would have done against a mediocre field? Gonna be much more interesting to hopefully see her at some fast DL races during the summer.
norunner

Postby lionelp1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:55 am

norunner wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:enough to say that real fans are disappointed to be deprived of seeing how Cain would cope with world level expectations.
Even that isn' really true, if you look at the 1500m field we aren't exactly talking about the best of the world, except for Aregawi. I don't think anyone else from last years top 10 is competing in Sopot, so what would you have been able to see, how Cain would have done against a mediocre field? Gonna be much more interesting to hopefully see her at some fast DL races during the summer.

I did not make reference to the fields quality I said " world level expectations " and you only have to read the last posts to see that those expectations about Cain were high and quite specific about her being the best chance of an American medal( which I disagree with anyway)
Irrelevant to talk about last years top ten. Cain would have been competing against some of this years top ten and if these athletes are not the same as last year means little. One still has to run two rounds and keep out of trouble and then do the business when it counts.
lionelp1

Postby lionelp1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 am

Just looked at the indoors top ten indoor rankings for the winter of 2013. Apart from Aregawi and G. Dibaba, the next 8 athletes ranged from 4.07.99 to 4.10.47. The outdoors top ten are not a reasonable comparison, especially in a World Champs year.
lionelp1

Postby aaronk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:04 am

I earlier listed 3 main reasons for not competing in Sopot....
Injuries
Event not included
Choosing to bypass indoor, or downplay its importance.

I forgot to add that US collegiate and high school athletes (very few of the latter, of course!) have good reasons....their own championship meets (NCAA and NBIN)!!
aaronk

Next