World Indoors entries, withdrawals & team news [Cain out]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

World Indoors entries, withdrawals & team news [Cain out]

Postby Jon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:15 am

The team announcements and withdrawals have already begun.

In the men's pole vault, Lavillenie, Holzdeppe & Otto are all out.
In the men's 60m, Dasaolu, Vicaut & Perez are all out.

Johnson-Thompson hasn't been offered the pentathlon wild card (I can only assume it's gone to Tyminska).
Jon

Re: World Indoors entries, withdrawals & team news

Postby Jon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:23 am

British team:
MEN
60m:
Dwain Chambers, Richard Kilty
400m: Richard Buck, Nigel Levine
800m: Mukhtar Mohammed, Andrew Osagie
1500m: Lee Emanuel, Chris O'Hare
3000m: Andy Vernon, Jonathan Mellor
60m hurdles: Andrew Pozzi, William Sharman
4x400m: Daniel Awde, Michael Bingham, Jamie Bowie, Buck, Luke Lennon-Ford, Levine, Conrad Williams.
High jump: Robbie Grabarz, Tom Parsons
Pole vault: Luke Cutts

WOMEN
60m:
Sophie Papps, Asha Philip
400m: Margaret Adeoye, Shana Cox
800m: Laura Muir
1500m: Jemma Simpson
3000m: Eilish McColgan
4x400m: Adeoye, Eilidh Child, Cox, Christine Ohuruogu, Victoria Ohuruogu, Laura Wake
60m hurdles: Tiffany Porter
Pole vault: Holly Bleasdale
Long jump: Katarina Johnson-Thompson, Shara Proctor
Jon

Postby Powell » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:36 am

Jon wrote:In the men's 60m, Dasaolu, Vicaut & Perez are all out.

Were any reasons given? They are not all injured, are they? I was hoping for a high standard men's 60 in Sopot, but with the 3 fastest men this year all out, it's going to lose a lot of the luster :?

Jon wrote:Johnson-Thompson hasn't been offered the pentathlon wild card (I can only assume it's gone to Tyminska).

I've been looking for confirmation of this, but so far there seems to be no info on any Polish websites.
Powell

Postby mump boy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:47 am

Powell wrote:

Were any reasons given? They are not all injured, are they? I was hoping for a high standard men's 60 in Sopot, but with the 3 fastest men this year all out, it's going to lose a lot of the luster :?

Jon wrote:Johnson-Thompson hasn't been offered the pentathlon wild card (I can only assume it's gone to Tyminska).

I've been looking for confirmation of this, but so far there seems to be no info on any Polish websites.

It's my understanding that Vicault was never going to run WI

KJT wouldn't have taken a LJ place if PEN was a possibility.
mump boy

Postby Sasuke » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:04 am

mump boy wrote:
Powell wrote:

It's my understanding that Vicault was never going to run WI

Well, he said he was not going to compete indoor but I think he has picked up a minor injury in Birmingham and this rules him completely out. The biggest shame is not having Dasalu competing: I do think he could have threatened the WR in a perfect race.
Sasuke

Postby Jon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:08 am

Powell wrote:
They are all injured. Vicaut never intended on competing in Sopot anyway, but he picked up a slight niggle in Birmingham.

Powell wrote:
I've not yet seen anything which confirms Tyminska has been given the wildcard (though I've heard that the women's wildcard invite has been accepted by whomever has been offered it). The British Athletics press release simply stated that Johnson-Thompson was not offered the wildcard.
Jon

Postby nevetsllim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:59 am

Yuniel Perez is also in the process of switching allegiances from Cuba to Spain so he probably wouldn't have competed even if he was fit.
nevetsllim

Postby Sasuke » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:53 am

Top bulgarian athlete Vanya Stambolova won't be in Sopot.
She raced three times this year winning her races:

[*] 400m 54"30
[*] 800m 2'04"13
[*] 1000m 2'42"76 (this is very good since she is a 400 metres runner)

She doesn't have any standard for Sopot and is skipping this weekend Balkan Championships. She says she is focused on the outdoor season (400hs).
Sasuke

Postby Powell » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:06 am

Jon wrote:I've not yet seen anything which confirms Tyminska has been given the wildcard (though I've heard that the women's wildcard invite has been accepted by whomever has been offered it).

Still no confirmation of who the wildcard went to? Why are they still keeping it secret?
Powell

Postby shivfan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:29 am

Trinidad team, according to an article on the front page....

World Indoor

Men–Lalonde Gordon (400m, 4x400m), Jereem Richards (400m, 4x400m), Jarrin Solomon (400m, 4x400m), Ade Alleyne-Forte (4x400m), Emanuel Mayers (4x400m)

Women–Michelle-Lee Ahye (60m), Geronne Black (60m)

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/L ... 70281.html
shivfan

Postby aaronk » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:59 am

NOT the greatest field the USA has ever produced for their National Championships!
Missing are (just off the top of my head):

Men
400==Merritt, Wariner
60H--A Merritt, Oliver, Richardson
SP--Hoffa, Cantwell

Women
60--Jeter, Gardner, O Freeman, Felix
60H--Rollins, Harrison, Jones (good excuse!!)
HJ--Barrett, Lowe
LJ--Reese

I'll check the entry list again....and be back soon with more!!

A few others missing:

Gatlin from the 60.
Dendy & C Taylor from the LJ.
C Taylor from the TJ.

Martinez from the 800
Also Montano, but has GREAT reason!! :wink:
Simpson from the 1500 and/or 3000.

On the other side of the coin, some great match-ups forthcoming!

Women's and Men's 1500 & 3000 fields are loaded.
Hastings and McCorory in the 400.
Symmonds, Sowinski, Rutt in the 800
Berry, McCall and Bingson in the WT.
Last edited by aaronk on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaronk

Postby ZELLGADISS » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:28 am

Why Gatlin is not running 60 this year?
Perhaps he is older and he prefers to rest for to run stronger outdoor, is it possible? :roll:
ZELLGADISS

Postby Powell » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:42 am

aaronk wrote:NOT the greatest field the USA has ever produced for their National Championships!
Missing are (just off the top of my head):

Men
400==Merritt, Wariner
60H--A Merritt, Oliver, Richardson
SP--Hoffa, Cantwell

Women
60--Jeter, Gardner, O Freeman, Felix
60H--Rollins, Harrison, Jones (good excuse!!)
HJ--Barrett, Lowe
LJ--Reese

You may have a point with the field events, but re sprints... how often have Merritt and/or Wariner run in national indoor champs in the past? When was the last time all the top female sprinters participated in the 60?

BTW, Oliver is on the entry list, although doesn't have the "declared" status.
Powell

Postby Master Po » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:10 am

^
As for Wariner, since concluding his collegiate career in 2004 (when among other things he won NCAA indoor; he was 7th in 2003), he has only pursued an indoor season once -- last year, when he won the USA championship. He ran a couple of 200s and a 400 in preparation for that meet. That pretty much constitutes his professional indoor career.

As for Merritt, he competed indoors somewhat regularly and successfully from 2004-2008, including at US nationals, where he won some championships. However, in the last five years 2009-2013, he only competed indoors in 2012, and then only at Millrose, where he won a 500m. So, indoor competition hasn't been much a part of his annual cycle either, at least in recent years.
Master Po

Postby Sasuke » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:27 am

Merritt is running in Australia this weekend. However, as I said in another thread, it's strange to see athletes who regularly compete indoor (Reese, Barrett, Rollins...) skipping the season at all. Rollins ended her 2013 campaign just after Moscow so I thought she would be raring to go against Pearson (fortunately, she will race) in Sopot.
Sasuke

Postby Jon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:52 am

Powell wrote:
Jon wrote:I've not yet seen anything which confirms Tyminska has been given the wildcard (though I've heard that the women's wildcard invite has been accepted by whomever has been offered it).
Still no confirmation of who the wildcard went to? Why are they still keeping it secret?
They're not keeping it secret. They're simply waiting to hear back from whomever has been offered the wildcard for the men's heptathlon. Once they get confirmation back from the invitee, then they'll announce the full set of names.

The Russian team was announced today and Butvina wasn't on it, so it's looking more and more likely that Tyminska has been given the wildcard.
Jon

Postby Powell » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:43 am

Jon wrote:They're not keeping it secret. They're simply waiting to hear back from whomever has been offered the wildcard for the men's heptathlon.

But then, you'd expect the Polish federation's website to carry the info by now if it's Tymińska who got the invite... unless there is a confidentiality clause attached to the wildcard and the athlete isn't supposed to announce they got it until the IAAF makes the info public.

Jon wrote:Once they get confirmation back from the invitee, then they'll announce the full set of names.

When's the deadline?
Powell

Postby dec7000 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:02 am

I too assume Tyminska will get the invite but the process of choosing a wildcard has not been straightforward for either the women or the men. Personally, they should have chosen the best 4 in the world on the indoor lists.

It looks like there is a doubt over at least one of the athletes leading to a delay unless they want to announce it after the deadline for all entries to be in. An injury to an athlete based on the outdoor list or C/E Challenge could be difficult to replace at short notice so do they change the criteria and go deeper into the indoor list?

Also, why is the US Indoor Combined Events Champs after the deadline?
dec7000

Postby beebee » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:30 am

Sasuke wrote:Merritt is running in Australia this weekend. However, as I said in another thread, it's strange to see athletes who regularly compete indoor (Reese, Barrett, Rollins...) skipping the season at all. Rollins ended her 2013 campaign just after Moscow so I thought she would be raring to go against Pearson (fortunately, she will race) in Sopot.

With no Olympics or World Champs Rollins is quite possibly toning things down preparing for a great outdoor season after long indoor and outdoor seasons in 2013.

Btw, it should be Pearson who ought to be "raring to go" against the World Champ, not the other way around.
beebee

Postby Jon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 am

There will be an official announcement tomorrow morning re: the combined events entries.
Jon

Postby ATK » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:33 pm

Does anyone have any details on why Reese chose not to compete this season and end her gold medal streak?
ATK

Postby Jon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:47 am

Combined events field announced:
http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-w ... door-champ

Heptathlon
Ashton Eaton
Andrey Kravchenko
Damian Warner
Oleksiy Kasyanov
Eelco Sintnicolaas
Pascal Behrenbruch
Thomas Van Der Plaetsen
Kai Kazmirek (wild card)

Pentathlon
Hanna Melnychenko
Brianne Theisen-Eaton
Sharon Day
Claudia Rath
Yana Maksimava
Nadine Broersen
Alina Fyodorova
Karolina Tyminska (wild card)
Jon

Postby norunner » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:56 am

That's really strange because Kazmirek mentioned in an interview two weeks ago that he has no intention to compete in Sopot.
norunner

Postby Jon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:57 am

That's what I thought too. He must have changed his mind.
Jon

Postby Gabriella » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:12 am

I think that was perhaps the delay; not Tyminska but Kazmirek. He was invited but only decided last minute to go.
Gabriella

Postby Gabriella » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:16 am

Objectively, I'm glad Tyminska got the wildcard. She has a better indoor and outdoor PB than KJT, was very close to medals last time and is in the twilight of her career. It would be great for her if she could bow out with a medal on home turf, but alas I think the competition will be too stiff.
Gabriella

Postby norunner » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:23 am

On paper Kazmirek is a great for indoor, he is fast, a very good jumper and his biggest weakness is the javelin. But since he wasn't planning for Sopot i wonder if he will be in shape because he was supppsed to be in South Africa for a training camp in march.
norunner

Postby Powell » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:32 am

Gabriella wrote:Objectively, I'm glad Tyminska got the wildcard. She has a better indoor and outdoor PB than KJT, was very close to medals last time and is in the twilight of her career. It would be great for her if she could bow out with a medal on home turf, but alas I think the competition will be too stiff.

I don't think it's that stiff actually. The women who qualified this year are only in 46xx territory, and the 4 who qualified on 2013 results may not necessarily be at their best. Tymińska at her best should easily be good enough for a medal and quite possibly for the win. The problem is she hasn't been looking that great so far in 2014. Her LJ in particular has been disappointing. She also ran a very poor (by her standards) 2:14 in Tallinn, but maybe she wasn't trying her hardest there.
Powell

Postby Gabriella » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:45 am

I am not so sure; I think Melnychenko and Thiesen-Eaton will be very hard to beat and I imagine Broersen will be very motivated after Moscow.
Gabriella

Postby Powell » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:27 am

I still doubt it will take more than 4700 to get on the podium this time around.
Powell

Postby norunner » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:47 am

Powell wrote:I still doubt it will take more than 4700 to get on the podium this time around.
Doesn't matter, without clear favourites it promises to be another fight like Moscow last year and that would be a LOT of fun.
norunner

Postby Powell » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:53 am

Polish team for WIC (with SBs):

Men
60 Dariusz Kuć (6.60), Remigiusz Olszewski (6.63)
400 Rafał Omelko (46.29), Jakub Krzewina (46.54)
800 Adam Kszczot (1:45.19), Marcin Lewandowski (1:45.56)
3000 Łukasz Parszczyński (7:49.26)
60H Dominik Bochenek (7.63)
PV Paweł Wojciechowski (5.76), Robert Sobera (5.75)
LJ Adrian Strzałkowski (7.96)
TJ Karol Hoffmann (16.71)
SP Tomasz Majewski (20.70)
4x400 Omelko, Krzewina, Patryk Dobek (46.77), Kacper Kozłowski (46.76), Michał Pietrzak (47.26), Łukasz Krawczuk (47.28)

Women
60 Marta Jeschke (7.31), Anna Kiełbasińska (7.31)
400 Justyna Święty (52.84), Małgorzata Hołub (53.03)
800 Angelika Cichocka (2:01.14)
1500 Katarzyna Broniatowska (4:09.01), Danuta Urbanik (4:10.07)
3000 Renata Pliś (8:53.74)
60H Urszula Bhebhe (8.22)
HJ Kamila Lićwinko (2.00), Justyna Kasprzycka (1.94)
PV Anna Rogowska (4.76)
LJ Teresa Dobija (6.68)
TJ Anna Jagaciak (13.69)
SP Anna Wloka (17.06)
Pen Karolina Tymińska (4530)
4x400 Święty, Hołub, Ewelina Ptak (53.38), Patrycja Wyciszkiewicz (53.64), Joanna Linkiewicz (53.91), Jolanta Kajtoch (53.89)

Obviously the largest team ever, which is understandable for the host nation, but it also has quite a few medal chances. Lićwinko, Majewski (he'll need to do a lot better than he has so far this winter, but he should be capable of that), Kszczot and Lewandowski, Rogowska (inconsistent, but if she gets it right on the day, she could actually win it), male vaulters (anyone in the field has a chance there), Cichocka (great form this year in what hasn't been a high-quality event overall), even the men's relay... possibly Tymińska, if she comes back to something like her best.
Powell

Postby shivfan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:21 pm

Jamaica

"Team: Women — Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Veronica Campbell Brown, Kaliese Spencer, Kimberly Williams, Stephenie Ann McPherson, Patricia Hall, Natoya Goule, Anneisha McLaughlin, Monique Morgan, Indira Spence, Sophie Smellie, Verone Chambers.

Men — Nesta Carter, Edino Steele, Kimmari Roach, Akheem Gauntlett, Andrew Riley, Damar Forbes, O'Dayne Richards, Jermaine Brown, Allodin Fothergill, Dane Hyatt, Errol Nolan."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/VC ... m_16140534
Last edited by shivfan on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
shivfan

Postby AS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:09 am

The huge Australian contingent:

Sally Pearson w60mH
Collis Birmingham m3000m
Fabrice Lapierre mLong Jump

Lapierre's selection is an odd one. As far as I can find his best performance is 7.79mAi this season.
Birmingham ran a 3.54 mile outdoor last weekend. Has never raced indoor (age 29).
AS

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 am

It will be interesting to see what Goule can do in the 800.
26mi235

Postby pakillo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:04 pm

Serbia and Bulgaria with 2 member teams-
SRB- Ivana Shpanović, Asmir Kolashinats
BUL- Georgi Ivanov, Radoslava Mavrodieva

Brazil- Keila Costa(TJ), Franciela Krasucki(60 m), Anderson Henriques(400 m), Mauro Vinicius "Duda"da Silva(LJ), Augusto Dutra, Thiago Braz, Fabiana Murer.
pakillo

Postby smc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Makusha (LJ) and Mvumvure (60) will compete for Zimbabwe.
smc

Postby tandfman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 am

The worst withdrawal of all. Mary Cain out. Story linked on front page. :(
tandfman

Postby norunner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 am

tandfman wrote:The worst withdrawal of all. Mary Cain out. Story linked on front page. :(
Seriously, the worst? Not Dibaba, Ukhov, Pearson, Adams? A 17 year old withdrawing is the worst that can happen?
norunner

Postby aaronk » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 am

norunner wrote:
tandfman wrote:The worst withdrawal of all. Mary Cain out. Story linked on front page. :(
Seriously, the worst? Not Dibaba, Ukhov, Pearson, Adams? A 17 year old withdrawing is the worst that can happen?

Maybe from the WORLD perspective, but not from USA perspective!
We have a great team going, but you gotta admit, Cain is the name most NON-track people recognize in US T&F!

She may not be the BEST athlete (YET!!!), but she holds the most star power at this moment in time in this country!

Dibaba, Ukhov, even Adams and Pearson, are NOT household names in the US, except among we here at T&FN Message Board!
aaronk

Next