Best Pentathlete in NCAA Can't Compete

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Best Pentathlete in NCAA Can't Compete

Postby 18.99s » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:45 am

ATK wrote:I think people are more on the side that when here school began the transition after spring 2011, she had the choice to transfer. Like you said, transferring now would be ridiculous.

It's not apparent that she was good enough back in 2011 for another school to give her a full ride, and she probably also wasn't good enough back then to make the NCAA championships anyway, so transferring at that time wouldn't make sense.
18.99s

Postby 18.99s » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:56 am

polevaultpower wrote:That's not the worst idea in the world, those school typically do not have many athletes qualifying for NCAAs, so the impact would likely be small.

But that's all the more reason why they shouldn't have such a ban. Very few recent upgrades from D2 are good enough to qualify for D1 post-season play, so in nearly all cases the problem takes care of itself. Let the very few who are good enough get to move on to the post-season if their record qualifies them for it.

If the NCAA doesn't want schools to move up, then just deny them, don't make the athletes suffer.

Exactly. If n schools changing to D1 per year is too much, set a hard limit of n-1 or n-2 or whatever, and have a selection process to determine who is picked when there are more applicants than the limit. Also consider relegating low-performing schools to D2.
18.99s

Postby lonewolf » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:48 pm

The NCAA does lots of things I do not agree with. I do not know all the problems involved in moving from DII to DI but my instinct/reaction is that four years is too long.
The young lady has a litany of reasons for her course of action. We can second guess but do not know the true circumstances at every moment of decision.
That said, I am big on common sense and believe there should be a provision for accomodating athletes who have demonstrated superior qualification, regardless of their school status.
lonewolf

Postby TrackTeacher_AP » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:22 am

Something related to the high-level Pentathaletes. Recently Akela Jones of Oklahoma Baptist competed in her first pent, scoring a 4194. It was her first time running the 800 (2:39.62) and shot (12.19) collegiately. Yesterday she improved her shot to 14.16m.
Plugging in her pb I had her scoring 4407. If she were to run even a 2:30 (definitely possible) she could score over 4500. Im not sure where that puts her worldwide but for an NAIA (transitioning to D2) its definitely something worth noting.
TrackTeacher_AP

Postby polevaultpower » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:52 am

TrackTeacher_AP wrote:Something related to the high-level Pentathaletes. Recently Akela Jones of Oklahoma Baptist competed in her first pent, scoring a 4194. It was her first time running the 800 (2:39.62) and shot (12.19) collegiately. Yesterday she improved her shot to 14.16m.
Plugging in her pb I had her scoring 4407. If she were to run even a 2:30 (definitely possible) she could score over 4500. Im not sure where that puts her worldwide but for an NAIA (transitioning to D2) its definitely something worth noting.

Is OBU still NAIA or are they also in no-man's land right now?

I'm so sad that so many NAIA schools have gone to the NCAA, including my alma mater :(
polevaultpower

Postby TrackTeacher_AP » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:40 pm

polevaultpower wrote:
TrackTeacher_AP wrote:Something related to the high-level Pentathaletes. Recently Akela Jones of Oklahoma Baptist competed in her first pent, scoring a 4194. It was her first time running the 800 (2:39.62) and shot (12.19) collegiately. Yesterday she improved her shot to 14.16m.

Is OBU still NAIA or are they also in no-man's land right now?

I'm so sad that so many NAIA schools have gone to the NCAA, including my alma mater :(

They applied this year to go ncaa d2, somi dont know if that means next year theyll be competing in the nccaa? Or whatever that in between national championships are called.. but I think its a 2 year probationary period.
TrackTeacher_AP

Postby gh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:48 am

The school has now filed a formal waiver request for Spenner for the Nationals.
gh

Postby aaronk » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:54 am

gh wrote:The school has now filed a formal waiver request for Spenner for the Nationals.

Haven't read everything on this thread, so pardon me if I missed something.
But the entry list for the Pent. has Spenner listed as qualified and declared!
She's in!

Oops!! :oops:
Did you mean NCAA nationals?
Or USATF nationals?

I was referring to the latter!
aaronk

Postby KevinM » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:37 am

aaronk wrote:
gh wrote:The school has now filed a formal waiver request for Spenner for the Nationals.

Haven't read everything on this thread, so pardon me if I missed something.
But the entry list for the Pent. has Spenner listed as qualified and declared!
She's in!

Oops!! :oops:
Did you mean NCAA nationals?
Or USATF nationals?

I was referring to the latter!

This thread is about the former, as NCAA eligibility would have no impact on USATF entry.
KevinM

Previous